SHADOWGUN - by MADFINGER Games [Releasing on 28/Sept]

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by MadFingerGames, May 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pacificsun0481

Pacificsun0481 Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    I love your games, and I play them a lot, too!

Samurai 2 still, has yet to leave my iPad....even when I upgraded to the 2, in March :0)

(excited to see how this will look on iPad 2, as EVERY single benchmark test posted, shows it dwarves Tegra 2)

Heck, I wish more developers would take your approach to visuals. Hopefully, after WWDC - maybe Apple will inform the dev community how to REALLY optimize for the dual core iPad 2 and iphone5/4GS... (Madfinger, you're not on the list of those who need to learn)

2. Tikicobra

Tikicobra Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2010
    This is the most amazing thing EVER. Any chance of it running on 3GS?

3. Pacificsun0481

Pacificsun0481 Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    I think the rationale, of the iOS audience (speculative), is that any game that doesn't look like a "console title" is relegated as casual. Therefore, I think the mass market assumes 99cents is fair. I disagree with that mentality, but maybe it's got some reality to it?

I think games like this, or Aralon, Infinity Blade and others that push the envelope do well at 6.99-15.00. I'd like to see the point where XBox live titles are ported over, or Wii titles, even XBox 360 titles. If the support were more robust, and the games brought to the market are more in the vein of Shadowgun (less casual fare, more console like), I strongly believe you'd see the AppStore pricing acceptably change toward higher pricing....

But the games ratio has to change (regardless of casual fare quality), from less Angry Birds to a Shadowgun majority. In people's minds, they see cute and figure a mental price (regardless of quality)

4. gwet17

gwet17 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    I'm with you 100%. Well said.

5. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    #105 dumaz1000, May 30, 2011
    Last edited: May 30, 2011
    If it were a full-fledged Call of Duty or Gears of War, people might pay 19.99 for it. A full fledged Gears of War would be worth twice that price though, and almost nobody would pay 39.99 for it. I don't think Activision or Epic will ever develop those games for the iOS, so we'll never find out. They might sell, but we'll never know.

An indie company like this launching a new IP has none chance of selling anything for anywhere near that price. Attempting to sell this for 19.99 would be a stupidly catastrophic move. I doubt this would sell for 19.99 on the 360, and 20 would be cheap for an Xbox game. Attempting to make this the most expensive iOS game would be a laughable decision.

What I'm saying is that you can't sell something at this price without name recognition. You just can't. I suspect Aralon and Mission Europa have proven as much.

6. RebornProphet

RebornProphet Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    If a game has a console quality length, then I'll pay a good price for it.

People complained about Final Fantasy III costing £9.99, but I happily paid that because the game is console quality and has been enhanced since the DS outing it had.

I wouldn't however like to see iOS games creep up slowly but surely and equal the cost of console games, although as both iOS and Android devices get more powerful, the quality of titles is ultimately going to increase and push the price upwards.

7. Origon

Origon Active Member

Jul 13, 2010
    I just hope its a reasonable price and story and multiplayer. Battlefield was a laughing stock clunky controls and horrible ai. I hope this game caps on all angles good controls, good campaign, and a good multiplayer for re-playability. I havent bought mc2 even though its got high praise because it still kinda looked to gimmicky. i bought nova 2 though good campaign horrible online. its like a hit or miss with most games. I just hope this one nails all angles and stays at a modest price!

8. PhxBangBus602

PhxBangBus602 Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2010
    It should run better on a 3GS than an iPhone 4.

9. spartanmastah

spartanmastah Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    #109 spartanmastah, May 31, 2011
    Last edited: May 31, 2011
    Uhhh...N-...Yes, actually, It will run better on an Old,weaker iPhone Version then a New,much more powerful iPhone Version.

Makes perfect sense :D.

10. BruteOutlawz

BruteOutlawz Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2010
    The problem is battery technology is lagging behind.

Game looks great, now i just need my 4g ipod back from apple before this releases :)

11. PhxBangBus602

PhxBangBus602 Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2010
    They both have the same graphics processing power but the iPhone 4 has to push more pixels.

12. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    They don't have the same graphics processor. The iPhone 4 also has twice as much RAM. Trust me: I've owned both -- the iPhone 4 smokes the 3Gs in every way.

13. GasparZizou

GasparZizou Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2010
    MKT student, intern in an advertising agency.
    Guadalajara
    i take it you have a 3GS.... cause the iPhone 4 is to the 3GS what the iPad 2 is to the iPad....get it?

14. Geta-Ve

Geta-Ve Well-Known Member

Just wanted to add that the game looks gorgeous. But will it still look as good on iOS devices? Time will tell. :)

15. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Luckily, in the real world applications are developed for specific platforms and not generalized across devices. I have tested games side by side on 3Gs and the iPhone 4, and the performance is uniformly better on the 4, even when the graphics are Retina-based. The amount of available RAM makes a big difference, especially when managing high-res textures.

Of course, the iPad 2 blows away both devices.

16. KiddToKmart

KiddToKmart Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
  17. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

That is why Apple should have given the iPod Touch 4 more ram...

18. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Agreed. Then again, the iPod Touch is unsubsidized, unlike the iPhone 4, so perhaps the additional RAM would have priced the device out of the market.

19. thethinice

thethinice Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Hawaii
    Ummm....so not compatible with Ipod Touch 4g? Excuse me while I go cry in the corner :(