Universal Shadow Era - Trading Card Game (by Wulven Game Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Kyle Poole, Feb 23, 2011.

1. AnAdolt

AnAdolt Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Canada
    @the9quad There are many free offers where you don't have to pay for any item or service. On the computer, offers are through SuperRewards while on mobile devices, it's through Tapjoy. More offers on Tapjoy are free and painless but you don't earn as much. We don't have any hidden deals on the forum though; at least not that I know of ^^.

I agree that for newcomers to the TCG genre, they may need to spend lots of time learning about the different aspects of the game and building up their strategy. However, this is true in any game and if you want to be competitive, you will need to invest alot of time to hone your skills.

I do admit our current tutorial system leaves much to yearn for but we do plan on revamping it to make it more friendly to newer players.

Regarding Magic, I believe we all here know Wizards of the Coast owns that. So if you want to say that they can do much better than us, then yes, I agree. They're much bigger and have been in the business much longer and can easily beat our pricing if they really wanted to. But I think we're doing awfully well for a small indy studio and we intend to continue with our success with Shadow Era and developing the game and perhaps one day, just maybe, we can follow in the footsteps of the grandfather of TCG.

Also, just to clarify on that Steam package, that only covers most of one set; not the whole game, which has over 10,000 cards. Also, you can get the $9.99 pack instead, which has the cards, it just doesn't give you the foils as well.

2. the9quad

the9quad Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2011
    The strategy to playing the game and building the decks people are ok with learning, but having a strategy just to "buy" cards they are not, do you see the difference? Anyway, I don't want to seem argumentative (prolly too late for that), but perhaps one day when you are as big as magic or the devs of kard kombat you can offer a all for one price solution and everyone will be happy.

3. AnAdolt

Feb 27, 2010
    Canada
    Shadow Era is not the only card game that has booster packs with random cards and starter packs that are preconstructed. Even outside of the TCG genre, you always have aspects to consider before making any sort of purchase.

For Magic, there is no "one price solution" for all the cards. As for Kard Combat, they currently have a $9.99 option to buy the "full game" which seems to include future expansions, however, you can't expect them to realistically keep that if they plan to continually release expansion after expansion; whereas, Shadow Era is gearing to finish the first set and plan to continue to release a set every 6-8 months. At least that's our current projected estimate for each set after the first.

4. Kyle Poole

Kyle Poole Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    There's a reason why Shadow Era was hailed by Touch Arcade as "a fantastic representation of what freemium games should be." And the reason is simple: it's possible to earn everything in the game through gameplay alone, and you're not required to spend money if you don't want to.

But let's actually go deeper and take a real-world example. What would it take to duplicate the deck of a certain top-ranked player?

Jericho Fatty Deck
    1x Jericho Spellbane 200g
    4x Puwen Bloodhelf 100g = 400g
    3x Raven Wildheart 390g = 1,170g
    4x Aldon the Brave 400g = 1,600g
    3x Aeon Stormcaller 780g = 2,340g
    3x Tidal Wave 200g = 600g
    4x Destroy Arms 100g = 400g
    4x Smite 100g = 400g
    4x Wizent's Staff 450g = 1,800g
    -----
    30 cards, 8,910g

Average value of a booster pack is 2,500g for 100 crystals
    http://www.shadowera.com/showthread.php?4358-Starter-Decks-Booster-Packs-amp-Market-Cost
    So this deck is worth 356.4 crystals

If you have even started playing Shadow Era you should be up to at least level 5 and earned 100 crystals. If you know how to play, being at level 10 is easy, for 200 free crystals total (we'll even ignore all the gold you get from battles). So for $1.99 more you will get another 220 crystals and should have enough to reconstruct this top tier deck full of uncommons and rares. BTW, in total this top ranked player has spent $25 on Shadow Era, but at level 16 he would have earned that deck for free quite easily.

Something that might have been glossed over is that it's possible to buy and sell your cards at the Merchant. So you can trade up as you play, continually building a stronger deck. That's part of the fun, I think.

5. AnAdolt

Feb 27, 2010
    Canada
    #1585 AnAdolt, Aug 31, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
    The long awaited v1.27 release is here! Web version is up while the PC client, Mac client, and Android version are being compiled to be released very soon. App Store release is pending Apple approval but should be live in a few days.

• 14 new cards - Human and Shadow allies that will change the game forever.
    • Improved caching for the web version. Currently it's up to the browser if it will cache the large game file, and as Shadow Era has grown the browsers usually have been deciding not to cache it. This improvement will ensure that a large chunk of the data is always cached, so you won't have to download the whole thing every time you want to play on the web.
    • More impressive world map. Waves in the water, cloud system, flocking birds, weather effects and time of day. You'll want to sit on the world map just to stare at it.
    • Greatly improved AI. The computer player will now do game simulations in memory to pick the best move, making it a much more capable opponent.
    • More AI battles. We are moving towards a full storyline campaign for each Hero, but this next release will start off by having a much larger variety of AI players to challenge.

The full change log can be found here. We are also moving to a more rapid release schedule, with updates planned for every two weeks.

EDIT: All platforms are out.. except for App Store. Should be any day now though ^^.

6. scarypharaoh

scarypharaoh Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Medical Professional
    With Carmen Sandiego
    Nice, thanks for the info. Haven't played for a while, but look forward to some new cards to play with.

7. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Good to hear a more enjoyable off-line mode. Thanks (even though I have yet to spill a dime/cents/denar on this)

8. the9quad

the9quad Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Something that might have been glossed over is that it's possible to buy and sell your cards at the Merchant. So you can trade up as you play, continually building a stronger deck. That's part of the fun, I think.

This I did not know, thanks

9. AnAdolt

Feb 27, 2010
    Canada
    You are able to buy and sell cards at the Merchant. In the game, at the top of the screen, you'll find a little jewel button in the middle that will hide and show the main menu. If you click on Merchant, you'll be able to buy or sell by clicking on the Buy or Sell button at the bottom of the screen.

10. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Grrrrrr!!!! How long does apple have to sit on this!!
    I want the update now!!!

11. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Pluck a duck where's the update!! C'mon apple!!

12. AnAdolt

Feb 27, 2010
    Canada
    v1.27 is finally out on the App Store. Go go go go go!

13. swampthing

swampthing Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2010
    Interesting new cards such as Death Mage Thaddeus and Brutal Minotaur. (You can find them when you go to Merchant > Buy)

The attack buttons seem to take a split second longer to appear though on my iPad 1.

14. AnAdolt

Feb 27, 2010
    Canada
    To fix a few bugs in v1.26, we changed it so the buttons only appears after all on-screen animations have finished. So that accounts for apart of the delay. Your Game Speed may have been reset to the default of 2 as well, but you can switch that back to 4 through the in-game Options menu.

15. FictionalCharacter

FictionalCharacter Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2011
    dunno if this has been requested, but i would absolutely love a 'buy random card' option in the single card gold merchant (with fair odds, of course).

liking the update so far. can see the added depth.

16. Kyle Poole

Kyle Poole Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    $2 million giveaway!

To show our appreciation to all our loyal Shadow Era fans, we're giving away $2 million in Shadow Crystals! To claim your bonus and find out how much you won, just click on the link below.

http://game.shadowera.com/bonus.php

17. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Very nice. This'll get me a few of the new cards from the most recent update. :)

18. adamphetamine

adamphetamine Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Programmer/3D Modeling
    Bethlehem, Pa
    Nice free 200 crystals. Anyone get anymore than that?

19. RazvanGNR

RazvanGNR Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Kyle, any news about phantom spirit battle academy? btw, nice bonus :D

20. AnAdolt

Feb 27, 2010
    Canada
    @adamphetamine Nope, it's between 100-200 so you reeled in the big one!

@RazvanGNR Our main game, Shadow Era, takes way more priority than Phantom Spirit so development on it is pretty slow at the moment. But we're still working on it and I'd like to play this sometime in the near future too.