Shadow Cities - Location Based MMORPG

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by veelay, Sep 27, 2010.

1. I think you should be Ok. It works quite nicely even if played only from home and cafe's with WiFi/school. What is does is it really puts emphasis on the strategic aspect: to co-operate with your friends and team mates. Many times the game play is also asynchronic ie. not real-time, so you can easily play it only occasionally when you have access to WiFi. The more friends you have, the more easily you can warp around the city. When there starts to be more players you have much more options to move than you would think from the outset. I think you'd be better off than you think, really.

2. Martin JF

Martin JF Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Ok, good to know.

How ever, how does The friend system work? Is there an in game friend list and simple "add friend" button or something? I doubt I'll make any of my friends Play it. The few of my friends that might enjoyed This dont have iPods.

I doubt too many people around here Will Play, so I'll Probably Get The while city for myself :D

3. Cool! In the friend system you add friend by name or by login in Facebook and see which one of your Facebook friends play for which team (who's an Animator and who's an Architect).

There is a in-game friend list of friends too, but since the game focuses on geo-location the list is also build that in mind. It gives you a list of 5 people that belong to your team and that are geographically closest to you wherever you may be. This way you can more easily add friends who you can strategize with to conquer the neighborhoods near by.

4. Martin JF

Sep 10, 2009
    Hmm... Cant wait to Play :)

Yeah... It Will be Kinda cool.... Its Kinda confusing though :p I'm sure I'll Get used to it.

5. Am positive you'll kick ass even without out 3G :)

Admit it might sound confusing if you haven't seen the game in your hand. It's a ton of fun to get the hang of it and start to understand how how the city comes alive once seen through the game :cool:

6. notboolean

notboolean New Member

Sep 27, 2010
    I've been also in apha testing and one of the most amazing situations was seen a bunch of mages attacking a big concentration of enemy buildings .)

I love the strategy mixture xDD

7. Martin JF

Sep 10, 2009
    Yeah :) what really make me interested is The Rune magic system. Cant wait to Try that out :)

This is One of The games I'm really waiting for. This and Shadow Era :p

8. notboolean

notboolean New Member

Sep 27, 2010
    Yeah that's a cool feature but there are many more ,)

9. Glad you like it! Can't wait to hear what you think when you get to play. In fact, we can play together once I hop over through a Beacon :)

10. Martin JF

Sep 10, 2009
    Yeah, I have to say I know Next to nothing about The game. I know its a location based game, and, Well, Thats it :p

Its just The game I have Been waiting for. If I just could afford an iPhone...

Hahaaha, lol :p

11. notboolean

notboolean New Member

Sep 27, 2010
    #31 notboolean, Sep 27, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
    Well, I've been alpha testing from Spain .)

12. spongefile

spongefile Active Member

Jun 21, 2009
    web dev concept designer
    Helsinki, Finland
    #32 spongefile, Sep 28, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
    Funfunfun

Honestly, it's really fun, just complex enough to keep you interested without being frustrating. You can drop beacons to teleport friends to where you are, and when you stand in one place you can see a bunch of claimable "hotspots" around you within reach. It's not like most location based stuff which is just about coordinates. You're claiming neighborhoods, which adds a sense of realism. I used to play Mob Wars, but there the map was kind of irrelevant, you could claim a spot in the middle of the ocean if you wanted to. Here the map actually knows your city.

I got into an epic group battle defending the neighborhood where I live, because it felt like "you think you're gonna take my block? Think again!" :D

Also, it's not another pointless grind machine. You can level up, but your team isn't going to win if that's all you do.

13. Martin JF

Sep 10, 2009
    Good to know. I'm Kinda sad that I didnt Get to The Alpha testing (didnt know about This before I saw The first post :p

14. Seb

Seb Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    I live on earth.
    Awesoome! Though i would like more than one class and the internet connection loss Will be a problem.

15. No worries buddy! The Alpha round was ran with a small crew. We are going to still need a lot of feedback on how to improve the game from you guys after the release and will take that into account. Stay tuned for the launch! We'll love to have you onboard and see what you make of the game. :)

16. Seb

Seb Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    I live on earth.
    Veelay, what about internet connection? When you walk arouca
    your City , you pretty much Winther have Abu internet connection.

17. greymikko

greymikko Member

Sep 27, 2010
    Co-founder, Grey Area
    Seb, everyone is a mage but you can choose what kind of a build you make. You can be for example a warrior type with powerful attack spells, a rogue like mage that warps from place to place easily or a healer that heals and protects things. So we kind of have multiple classes even thought everyone does magic.

We will be adding new spells and abilities all the time and are looking forward to hearing from you guys what you would like to see.

18. You necessarily don't need to have a 3G. You can build bases around the city, say into a Cafe, school, your home ...and build all the structures, traps and Dominators around that base, which you then defend. From those bases you can also comfortable warp to other locations via Beacons and do quick attacks that way. You don't necessarily even have to have visited a place to warp there as long as your friend has planted a Beacon there.

This is quite good strategy actually. The whole moving vs. staying at your base location brings a whole new strategic dimension to the game, which is really nifty when you start to collaborate and plan with your friends on how you take over different neighborhoods.

19. Seb

Seb Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    I live on earth.
    So you can get warped to another location and still be at the house?

20. greymikko

greymikko Member

Sep 27, 2010
    Co-founder, Grey Area
    Yeah, Seb. We have many warp abilities so you can warp to another location and still be at the house.