Shadow Cities - Location Based MMORPG

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by veelay, Sep 27, 2010.

1. #1 veelay, Sep 27, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
    We are excited to introduce Shadow Cities, a brand new location aware MMORPG!

In Shadow Cities you can step out on the streets of your city and explore our massive game world. Moving in the real world moves you in the game world. Your city is a game.

The goal of the game is to conquer your city for your team and to level up with your character to unlock new more powerfull spells.

Mages have been gone for centuries and spirits have taken over. Become a mage and help humanity to regain the world. Hunt spirits, gain experience and learn more and more powerful spells. Use your magic and strategy to battle for the control of your neighborhood with your friends.

Here's a few shots. You can click to enlarge the photos.

conquer.jpg

fight.jpg

hunt.jpg

levelup.jpg

This is a project that we’ve been working for quite some time and are now ready to preview to you guys. We’re making a MMORPG-world where you can fight on the streets and conquer your city. There are lot of cool things coming along so stay tuned.

- 15 initial levels
    - Rune draw spell system. Draw the magical runes on the touch screen to do magic.
    - Spell specialization. Will you become a battle mage or a healer of others?
    - The biggest game world out there. All the places in the world are mapped out and part of the game. Including your neighborhood.
    - Don’t get stuck. You can jump to other cities or neighborhoods as long as you have allies there.
    - Two sides waging war against the spirits and each other: The Architects and the Animators. Will you be a cool and calculating tech mage or a honorable and impulsive spell artist.

Coming this year Shadow Cities by Grey Area. Look around. Your city is a game.

Shadow Cities website
    http://www.shadowcities.com/

Grey Area on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/shadowcities

Grey Area at Twitter
    http://twitter.com/shadowcities

2. Martin JF

Martin JF Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Hmm... How Will This work? Do you sit at Home and just tap around in a world shaped like your town or Do you walk around? If its The 2nd, Will it work on iPod touch?

3. madman81

madman81 Member

Sep 27, 2010
    All over
    Will this work in the U.S?

4. iDRevolution

iDRevolution Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Canada
    mmmm should i say LOL?
    runing around the city like nuts ?
    people will think ur some kind of a junky lol..
    nice idea but... lol

5. pushkin

pushkin Member

Sep 27, 2010
    Yes madman81 the game will work anywhere in the world. The whole world is your playground.

6. greymikko

greymikko Member

Sep 27, 2010
    Co-founder, Grey Area
    Hey Martin. Walking around moves you in the game world but you can also teleport to your friends locations and warp between places. It should work well on iPod touch as well especially with WiFi location support.

7. hanehane

hanehane New Member

Sep 27, 2010
    I've been waiting for something like this..

Looks amazing! When can I try it??

8. greymikko

greymikko Member

Sep 27, 2010
    Co-founder, Grey Area
    @idrevolution no need to run around like a lunatic man. Veelay just likes to look all sweaty. You can just sit in some location, chill out and destroy everything around you.

9. pushkin

pushkin Member

Sep 27, 2010
    hanehane we are in our final testing phases at the moment and you can get your hands on the game later this year.

10. madman81

madman81 Member

Sep 27, 2010
    All over
    Sweet! Can you join team´s with your friends?

11. Hi,

Not a junky :) We just wanted to capture some of the excitement we felt when playing the Alpha rounds with friends. Most of the game is playing it when you stroll around the city on your daily chores.

There's a few screen shots where you can see what the game looks on an iPhone screen. The first one is from downtown London where there is a Spirit and Gateway nodes for different neighborhoods. Here you can see a Waterlook Gateway which is discovered by Mikko.

The latter screen shot is an explosion where I have cast a spell and killed Spirit Kelpie in downtown Helsinki (Finland).

12. greymikko

greymikko Member

Sep 27, 2010
    Co-founder, Grey Area
    Yeah, madman. There's two sides at war battling for the global domination of the earth. You and your friends can join either side and team up to take over your city. The goal of the game is to conquer your city for your team and to level up.

13. huikea

huikea New Member

Feb 22, 2010
    #13 huikea, Sep 27, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
    War story from an alpha testing round

I've participated in alpha testing rounds and I can tell that Shadow Cities is really fun and addictive game. Definitely the best location based game I've seen so far, and it's also a great RPG game.

A funny story to share from the alpha rounds:

I was shopping on the other part of the town and remembered that Animators had their stronghold nearby. I always play on the Architects side (steampunk ftw!). I decide to make a detour on my way to home and attack their stronghold.

Although the game has an in-game chat, I decided to send a SMS to my team mates, saying something like "I'll attack Töölö (ed: a neighbourhood in Helsinki) in 5 minutes. I'm gonna build a beacon and then we can blow up everything! Join me once the beacon is built!" (Beacon allowed team mates to warp to a location)

Unfortunately, I have two persons with exactly the same first and last names in my phone book. The other one was participating the alpha round, another one was an ex-colleague that I hadn't met in years. And as Murphy's law dictates, of course I accidentally sent the SMS to the ex-colleague! You can bet that he was a bit surprised of my SMS and send a worried reply....

14. Loved the story. Hadn't heard that one. That stuff happens all the time during the test rounds. Thanks for sharing.

15. pushkin

pushkin Member

Sep 27, 2010
    War story continued

I remember that evening quite clearly my dear huikea =). I was having a pleasant dinner with my girl, minding my own business, when suddenly I see the world ablaze as I pull out my iPhone (I ventured a peep as she was powdering the nose).

What see I, if not the block filled to the rim with destruction? My precious home base was being ravaged by Architects who didn't belong there in the first place. The best I could do without risking a stingy remark about phones on dates, was to hastily draw the Zorro-zed and try to get a punch in before returning the device to my pocket. I was too slow however, and my little escapade did not go unnoticed. Never play Shadow Cities on dates my good people! The vine might go sour. =)

Later, however, I realized to my surprise that the defenses had held as my valiant friend who happened to be nearby, vanquished and drove off the horrid attack.

16. spongefile

spongefile Active Member

Jun 21, 2009
    web dev concept designer
    Helsinki, Finland
    Yeahhh!

This game is all kinds of awesome. Got to test the alpha, no need to run around like crazy as long as you coordinate with your friends, open portals for them, etc. I think this is the game that gets location-based gaming right. Really looking forward to it going live.

17. Martin JF

Sep 10, 2009
    Ok,, how Do This work without 3G connection? I teleport to some location around The world, and battle while still in The house, still near my wifi connection? How does movement work? I mean, If how does The controls really work, That video just confused me, lol :p

18. TimoVihola

TimoVihola Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Creative Director at Mountain Sheep inc
    I've had chance to try the development versions of the game on a few occasions and the technology behind it is truly impressive! It's the first time I've played a successful combination of GPS technology & video game. It makes the experience much more personal when you know it's your own city you're fighting in and the people you are fighting are your neighbours and friends and you're playing in your own two shoes.

I would so love to play zombie survival version of this where there is random weapons & items to find! "The hideous monsters are assaulting western Helsinki!" and then you have to gather your friends and go find some better guns and defeat the attack :)

19. Good question. You need either a WiFi or a 3G ie. you need to able to access internet through your device otherwise it can't render the map around you with all the roads, building etc.

The primary way to play is to move around the city as you move when you go to work or to a cafe. Or you can build Dominators* or other structures around where you live, while you sit at home. If you have been say downtown earlier that day and left there what is called Beacon, you can warp there from your house and play in the location where you have planted the Beacon. Similarly if your friend who is in the same team has planted a Beacon, you can warp there as well. But for the most part, you need to actually physically move to a location where you'd like to say attack or which you'd like to defend.

The UI is a map interface (to of course) to which you have two views: On location one (micro views) and a more strategic one where you see most of the city and what is happening in the Shadow World (macro view). On top of this you have a HUD like control interface. Think WOW for example :)

*Dominators give out energy over time, which you need to win Missions and operate your other structures in the game. For example Beacons, which you use to warp, consumer that energy, so its a valuable resource and you want to be strategic where you leave Beacons.

20. Martin JF

Sep 10, 2009
    Then I'm going to struggle Playing, I Think. I mean, there's like 2 plages with internet I Can connect to where I live, The school and og course, home. And, Those locations are pretty close as Well. I Can connect to other places as Well though, But holding a stable wifi connection when Actually walking outside? No... Actually walking to a place with wifi connection. Hard too.

So far it does not look like something I could Play, no matter how much I wanted to... Meh...