Universal Severed (by DrinkBox Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Jul 28, 2016.

1. razorracer83

razorracer83 Well-Known Member

The game is fantastic, except for the titular severing of the monster parts. Even with fully upgraded focus time, you only have enough time to cut three of the four of the four legged monster's arms. There's too little margin for error when it comes to the severing. It feels like the devs were using an iPad Pro with Apple Pencil as the dev device, as using a bare finger is just too imprecise for this level of severing. Except for that gripe, the game is incredible, but I hope the devs can make the game finger friendly (my index finger would be thankful).

2. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #62 Vovin, Jul 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2016

Did you notice that it has a strong Lovecraftian vibe to it?

3. davidovich

davidovich Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Anyone else getting a red line running down the right side and the bottom of the screen on their 6s Plus?

4. razorracer83

razorracer83 Well-Known Member

You know, I was looking at the reviews of this game, and someone had the same issue on the OG 6+.

5. davidovich

davidovich Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    I just spoke to the guys at Drinkbox and they let me know that it's because I was using a zoomed view on my phone. I switched it to normal and it fixed the problem. The funny thing is, I was having a similar issue with Crypt of the Necrodancer and using a normal view fixes the problem I was having there too. By the way, both developers have a fix on the way to support zoomed views. Hope that helps.

6. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Thanks AW

7. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    OMG. Just... OMG... I can't get over how friggin FANTASTIC this game is!!!! I've only spent about 2 hours with it so far, but those two hours have blown my friggin mind. Once I got comfortable with holding my phone the way it recommends and the two finger swipe to move the camera, everything just sort of fell into place. It feels perfect. Totally immersive... totally engaging... I love all of the upgrade mechanics... traveling over long(ish) distances doesn't take forever... it hits all the right spots in just the right ways, and finishing off an enemy by slicing off their limbs is SO FRIGGIN SATISFYING, especially when you get all of them.

I'm so glad this has come to the AppStore... I know it was announced for the iOS years ago... but damnit if I'm not still so thankful that we have it available to us. =oD

GOTY CONTENDER!!!

8. esty8nine

esty8nine Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Is the difficulty there ?

9. AppWhore

AppWhore Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    It is but not in a cruel or grinding way: finding your way to that secret room you've seen or exploring all the dungeon is 'Zelda' hard because you just can't find that switch, or maybe you need to come back later when you have that special key or whatever.
    Mob fights are tough as you progress but always feel as though it's down to you and working out the best strategy for that group of mobs - which one to focus on, which one to leave till last etc.
    When you die you're placed a couple of rooms back just before the encounter which is brilliant as the dungeons are pretty big.

Combat is by far my favourite thing, it's just brilliant how exciting the fights become. Think 'a cartoon version of Infinity Blade' but surrounded by four different mobs with buffs, debuffs and magic being thrown around. Manic and loadsa fun #

10. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    I really like the game but I would've preferred more 1v1 combat with difficult enemy patterns (Infinity Blade). Personally, I'm somewhat disliking the turning back and forth and whacking enemies. I would rather test my skills focusing on one enemy and parrying and using quick reflexes rather than swiping all around the screen as fast as I can.

I noticed your focus charge drains away if you switch enemies, so it's even pushing you to not switch enemies even though you're getting attacked from all sides.

Otherwise, the game is gorgeous. Unfortunately, that multi-enemy combat is ruining some of the enjoyment for me.

11. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    If you're swiping all over the screen, you're absolutely doing it wrong. How far in are you?

12. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    I'm sure I'm doing it right. I'm actually doing really well in the game and I'm pretty far in. The biggest challenge is just switching targets. Each enemy I can easily memorize their patterns and parry their attacks. The problem is always switching to another enemy before they attack. So it's basically a multitask of managing as many hits before I have to switch targets.

It's probably because I've played all the IB games and I'm pretty good at them that this one just seems tedious to me.

13. ttcool

ttcool Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2016
    The fun part is the fighting but now I'm just running around flipping from day to night but can't find the 2nd stone to pass the big door and it's frustrating!

14. NickyNichols

NickyNichols Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2012
    A little tip, not sure if you know, but if you press the little enemy icon at the bottom of the screen it switches to that enemy without having to swipe. It made a world of difference for me.

15. AppWhore

Dec 24, 2008
    Each enemy has a pattern/opening, some can't be hit until you've countered them. If you hit at the wrong time/place you'll lose focus while clean hits add to it.
    And switching using the enemy icons is essential. It's IB times the number of enemies around you with you choosing the one to face via the icons.
    And yes, multitask fighting is exactly what it is #

16. AppWhore

Dec 24, 2008
    Which part are you stuck at? I'm currently finding Mother in the Citadel (3rd dung?), pm me if you want to save spoilers ;)

17. Alex Wolf

Alex Wolf Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Where is the secret in the first stage?

Is there a guide in the internet about the secrets?

18. AppWhore

Dec 24, 2008
    Some of them can't be gotten to until later. A screenshot or some description would help # nearly impossible to know where you're talking about

19. Is there any quick way to backtrack through this game? I'm finding travel tedious, especially if I want to look for things I missed a while back.

20. Gambler

Gambler Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp

Awesome tip thanks a lot! The latest fights (where enemies already got special abilities like Speed Up etc) have gotten really hectic and with the swiping I often swiped one spot too far. You're right, this technique makes a world of difference :)