iPhone Settlers of Catan HD by USM (v3.0 Cities & Knights)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Sep 29, 2010.

1. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    No async MP? Fine, I am taking what I have for now. Sorry. :cool:

2. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Now I realize that apple doesn't allow merging apps but there's nothing stopping USM from making the HD version Universal and leaving the iPhone version as is.

The better bet would be to lower the price of the iPhone only version to get people playing and increase the price of the iPad version to aound 10 and lower the expansion prices to fall in line with AppStore expectations.

Currently Catan is the most expensive board game in the AppStore with $5 for the app and 5 for each of the two expansions. The only app that comes close to that price is Summoner Wars... But only if you buy each deck individually instead of getting the bundle.

Catan is a great game but it doesn't have the UI polish or feature set of games selling for half the price

3. Jcheckel

Jcheckel Active Member

Feb 4, 2011

No, Ticket to Ride is more than Catan at $7, with Europe an extra $5, Switzerland is $4, Asia is $4, and USA 1910 is $1 for a total of $21.

4. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I meant in terms of price vs. features. Ticket to Ride HD may be expensive but you get a lot of value from it even if they gave users a huge runaround with it never being universal because it wouldn't work on a smaller screen... Then releasing TWO separate iPhone versions. :/

Commulatively Catan would still beat Ticket to Ride though.

Ticket to Ride HD plus all the expansions : 21 (7+5+4+4+1)
    Ticket to Ride Pocket with all expansions: 3 (2+1)
    Ticket to Ride Pocket Europe with all expansions: 3 (2+1)

Total: 27 dollars

Catan HD plus all expansions: 15 (5+5+5)
    Catan plus all expansion: 15 (5+5+5)

Total: 30 dollars

5. thetaomega7

thetaomega7 New Member

Aug 31, 2012
    #145 thetaomega7, Aug 31, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
    Bug reports

This was an email that I tried sending to USM_Software at their email address above, but it got bounced.

I wonder if anyone else has encountered some of the game play issues that I encountered below.

Anyway, here goes:

Subject: Catan HD Cities and Knights
    Date: 8/31/2012 11:00 AM
    To: <[email protected]>

I was happy that you released the long-awaited Cities and Knights expansion.

However, there are a number of game play bugs that need to be resolved. This is on an iPad running OS 5.1, using the Greater Catan scenario with 1 human player and 3 AI players. I have observed that:

1. When other players play the "Diplomat" progress card, they are able to remove any road or ship that is free (not part of a closed trading route). However, when I play the "Diplomat" progress card, I can only remove a free road; I cannot remove a ship.

Update for #1 (to forum): actually, you can also remove a ship, it just won't appear grayed as a removable end of an open trading route. Took a while for me to figure that one out.

2. When a "Commercial Harbor" progress card is played by an AI player, they are able to exchange a resource card for a commodity card for every player. When I play a "Commercial Harbor" progress card, I can only exchange a resource card to one of the 3 AI players (I should normally be able to do it for all 3 AI players).

Update for #2 (to forum): actually, it is possible to exchange a resource card to all of the AI players - when you perform one exchange, you will notice that the card is still in your hand; you can use it again and it will let you pick one of the other 2 AI players to exchange. You can repeat for as many times as there are AI players, so long as it is still the same turn. The card disappears when you complete your turn. Although this is consistent with the rules of the game, most players will likely miss this and become confused as I was. A better user interface for this card would be ideal.

3. Sometimes when I play the "Road Building" progress card, and choose to place a new ship, sometimes the icons showing all the possible locations of where I can place that ship will erroneously display a road icon, even though I am placing a ship. I can still place the ship, so game play is unaffected, but this is an aesthetic bug.

4. There currently is no way to tell if any of the AI players have any progress cards in their possession. In the face-to-face game play with physical cards, pieces and tiles, players can generally tell if other players have any progress cards or not. This affects the game play for "Spy", where part of the strategy involves assessing if a player targeted by "Spy" has a large number of progress cards to choose from.

5. When the progress card hand is opened, the hand automatically centers on the left-most progress card; if the player has more than 2 or 3 cards, the player has to swipe left in order to see all 5 cards (or more if the player is holding victory point cards). However, the iPad can usually display 5 cards at a time, so having it display this way is inconvenient because the player has to swipe the cards to the left in order to see all of them at a time. It would be nice if, upon opening the progress hand display, that it automatically centers the cards such that the hand display is showing the most cards that can be displayed at any given time.

6. The green player's city improvement level for science (shown in the upper right corner of the screen) is partially obscured by the menu button interface on the right side of the screen when it is the human player's turn. As a result, if the green player has a Level 1 or a Level 2 science improvement, other human players wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Similarly, if the green player has a Level 4 or Level 5 science improvement, other human players wouldn't be able to tell the difference. This latter issue affects strategy because this affects whether or not it is possible to try to take the Metropolis title away from the green player.

Desired features

1. It would be nice to hear a little audio jingle confirmation whenever a city improvement is built. It would be even nicer if a different jingle is used for each type of city improvement (science, politics and trade).

2. Any plans for a Traders and Barbarians expansion?

-thetaomega7

6. Lisarose10

Lisarose10 New Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Catan Errors

I was thrilled when the iPad version of Catan updated, until I started to play. I'm having some of the same problems that were posted here earlier. The commercial harbor card crashes my game. It does restart again and restore the game, but it crashes every single time. I can only go as far as scenario 4. Sometimes I can finish 4, but most of the time the game crashes when I start to win, and does not recover. I have won twice, but as far as I can tell, that is the last scenario as my campaign stops there and does not continue. Are there more?

My screen looks fine, and I can see everything. However, when playing the Diplomat card, I also am told I can only move roads. I did figure out that I can move a ship, but it is inconsistent.

I sincerely hope they are able to fix this. I love this game!
    Lisarose

7. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Glad I waited. Looking forward to the fix...hopefully soon.

8. pbb76

pbb76 Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Just it this and won the game on the first map after a couple of goes.

How do I unlock the second map? It's still locked and I assumed after beating map 1 it would unlock?

9. Agas

Agas Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2011
    I've just bought this because of price drop and I have the iphone version (with expansions) and I like it.

But then, different with my experience with the iphone version, why is the campaign is locked and I have to buy the expansions first before I can play the campaign? I bought this so that I can play campaign on my iPad (at least the first map) and I cannot.

10. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    USM has posted on twitter that they are looking for beta testers for the multiplayer update on iOS and android.

11. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    Async or what?

12. klapedu

klapedu Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2012
    Hey nice game i like it.

13. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    They didn't specify. Most likely async over their own servers for cross platform play

14. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    If so, very well then. May finally spend more time on this game.

15. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Yeah! I'll look forward to the update.

16. iPad-meister

iPad-meister Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Well, most of the top reviews in itunes refer to numerous bugs. Hopefully the update will fix those, too. If not, I'm going to continue to stay clear of this one.

17. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Well its on sale and after realizing that I don't own this game for some odd reason, and before buying this I'd like to know if it runs on iOS 7.x. Any help would be appreciated. And if this is "still" buggy, how buggy?

18. logan067

logan067 Member

Mar 7, 2014
    #158 logan067, May 29, 2014
    Last edited: May 29, 2014
    Anyone playing multiplayer on the ipad yet?

19. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    I've started playing this on the iPad recently and it's fun. One thing though. It keeps giving me achievements, but not telling me why.

I've looked in the game and on Game Centre and on Google and a I can't find anything that tells me what the achievements are for. Does anyone have any idea?

20. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    Catan Universe drops today pretty sure it's already on Google Play store I noticed on their website the link for that store was active and the Apple Store link was not but it should be on apple soon and i am ios so I am waiting for that. They already put a message under the game on the Apple App store about it and how to carry over your IAP.