iPhone Settlers of Catan HD by USM (v3.0 Cities & Knights)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    In my opinion it has something to do with respect. If I ask for Beta Testers ... it would take just a few seconds for a "round mail" and just inform all the people ...

Du bist vielleicht nicht der Einzige, der der deutsche Sprache mächtig bist, aber wenn der Entwickler schon danach fragt und man das Kriterium (und alle anderen) erfüllt, dann sollte man wenigstens eine Antwort erwarten können.

And yes, I could also answer in French or Dutch ... ;)

2. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    Just be happy the testing has started so that we get an expansion pack!
    This is a normal behavior.

3. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    Maybe you are right ... and so I learn from this not to waste time for filling out any forms like that ... ;)

Regards,
    Sascha

4. Fafner

Fafner Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    It's $2.99 now

5. mateofalcone

mateofalcone Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Looks like a 1 day event, Dec 13.

6. Gh05t

Gh05t Member

Dec 4, 2010
    couldn't agree with you more. Catan is very much a people driven game, community and its not so much about grinding out opponents like Risk or Monopoly so that all you care about is the winning. There's a huge element missing when you eliminate the human player. As great as Small World is, I don't think anyone would disagree that it would be exponentially better with online multiplayer. I think when people talk about how great Small World is in particular its more in the realm of "look at all the potential" as opposed to what it actually is at the moment.

7. exozet_games

exozet_games Active Member

Apr 15, 2010
    "Catan - The Seafarers" add-on is coming in January on iPhone and iPod Touch. iPad version will be released shortly afterwards. "The Seafarers" features a huge campaign / story mode.

8. TheDukester

TheDukester Well-Known Member

Fantastic news; thanks for the update. This is a Day One purchase for me.

9. deadweight

deadweight Well-Known Member

Was on the fence because I love Catan but was a little leery after the sub-par reviews. But at the holiday price with the prospect of an expansion... I think I'm sold now.

Can anyone comment on the hot-seat play? The kids like the XBOX version and I'd like to give it a try for family night festivities. Is the interface handled well for trading and such?

10. GordonSh

GordonSh New Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Retail
    Montreal, QB
    Catan was my most expected game of the year but it turned out to be the biggest disappointment. One thing it did for me is get to start playing again XBLA version of the game.

11. cprloe

cprloe Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Katy, Texas USA
    Back down to $2.99.

12. deems

deems New Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Catan HD unveiled on Wednesday as soft media, enabling each local player or hotseat play for up to four players.

13. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    I'm kinda puzzled.

It says extensive Campain, but all I see is Maps, when I start the game.
    Am I missing something.. or do they call each map/Scenario a Campaign ?

14. pka4916

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    NM.. Looks like I had to buy the Expansion in order to get the Campain.

15. pka4916

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    OK... this sucks... I can't win for some reason.
    played the 1st map about 7 times now.. waisted 7x50 min... and still nowhere... It won't let you bypass the map..

Any tactics on this game?

16. hsthompson

hsthompson Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2010
    Your initial placement *really* matters. if "7" is the ideal number, make sure your settlements are near numbers close to 7 -> 5, 6, 8 and 9 are great numbers to be next to.

I also try to extend into numbers I don't already have, so that you get *something* no matter what the dice roll.

17. pka4916

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    Ooh.. Didn't know about those numbers.
    Is that in the manual? cause I went through the tutorial and did not notice that.
    Except if you roll 7 total, then no resource are done

18. hsthompson

hsthompson Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2010
    Yeah, 7 gets you a robber, but for the most part, you're trying to control the numbers close to 7 (since they roll more often), and control as many different numbers as possible (since it makes you a winner more often).

Check this out for more tips:

http://www.settlers-strategy.com/settlers_of_catan_strategy_placement_1.html

19. Earthdweller

Earthdweller Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2009
    UK
    Really enjoying this game on the ipad, will probably get it for the iphone even though it means paying out again. Which brings me on to my question. How do you unlock the seafarers expansion lite?
    It says its installed under the expansions tab from the main menu (2.0.2)? I'm sure I've beaten the first three maps but map 4 remains locked.
    Also people speak of having to complete a campaign. I cant see one and the only option from the main menu is Free Play which gives maps but no story or campaign as such.
    I would like to buy the seafarers expansion for the ipad and iphone (12 GBP in total!) but only if I will be able to play it, otherwise I'll wait.

Thanks for any help I have searched the net for answers but to no avail.

20. Gh05t

Gh05t Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Lost Opportunity

Any way you slice this the version of the game is a lost opportunity; looking at what others have managed to accomplish with Small World and Neuroshima Hex not to even mention Carcassonne, Catan just pales in comparison. They merely ported over the xbox/NDS version of the game without getting back in touch with the experience of playing the board game. Its a shame too because this has to be one of my all time favorite games; I have all the board game variants - dice, cards, expansions...etc. I've played on other platforms and it detracts from the overall experience. Just my two cents.