Universal (Sep. 30) Tallowmere 2 (by Chris McFarland)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Brightsiderus, Sep 18, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vikas Pawar

Vikas Pawar Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jan 30, 2020
    Male
    UX UI Designer
    Singapore
    Looks Good ! All the best for the release :)

ChrisNZL likes this.
  2. Brightsiderus

Brightsiderus Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2017
    Well, the developer is not here, but I wish him best too XD

Vikas Pawar likes this.
  3. solarnya

solarnya Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2015
    Male
    Close to Tokyo, Japan
    pre-ordered

ChrisNZL likes this.
  4. Brightsiderus

Feb 1, 2017
    Core supporter iap 829E6235-6762-4A72-ADAB-EC0CAEDC3A4E.png

5. ChrisNZL

ChrisNZL Well-Known Member

May 10, 2015
    I am here now! Thank you. Subscribed + watching this thread if anyone has any questions.

Been a while since I've been on TouchArcade... previous Tallowmere thread is here from 2015!

Brightsiderus and ste86uk like this.
  6. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Never played the first game but this sounds interesting. Looks like a lower budget (no offence by saying lower budget) Dead Cells from the videos I just seen?

7. ChrisNZL

May 10, 2015
    Yeah, Dead Cells contains a lot of character animation. And to stay alive, rolling to avoid attacks is a main mechanic.

Whereas in Tallowmere and Tallowmere 2, animation is more simplistic, adorning a paper-book flip style. I've tried to animate the weapon attacks more in Tallowmere 2, though none of the characters have any hands this time!

To stay alive, a button to raise your shield is all that's required. Still involves timing, but on a more casual scale, without having to worry about dodging and rolling into things. But not using your shield brings on death pretty quickly – shield usage is a core mechanic.

ste86uk likes this.
  8. Wall Jump Games

Wall Jump Games Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2020
    Male
    Totally going to pick this up, but this just feels like stripping out random features here and there to make a butchered free version. Would much rather it

9. Brightsiderus

Feb 1, 2017
    There’s @ChrisNZL that can answer your question, I’m just a humble poster XD
    But it doesn’t look like stripped. It allows you to try basics of the game

10. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    It's not even just giving folks the basics with the free version, and what's included in the IAP is definitely not random. Apart from the co-op features, which my oblivious self presumes requires hosting somewhere on the interwebs (thus extra costs), all those are perks. Not essentials, but perks.

11. Wall Jump Games

Dec 13, 2020
    Male
    I would personally disagree with that these are all perks. Whilst you obviously don’t NEED these to enjoy the game, and I would say that things like Co-op, Weapon Rack, Magic Mirror, and maybe even Merchant Potions (but that’s just because there are only like 2 good potions in the game, imo) are perks, but Mystery Rewards are significant parts of the decision making process and Lady Tallowmere heals are a core part of the game. But that’s all just my opinion, if this was more expensive I’d be upset, it’s just a minor nitpick at such a low price point.

12. ChrisNZL

May 10, 2015
    #13 ChrisNZL, Sep 25, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2022
    Without the Core Supporter Pack, it's a stripped-down demo version essentially, but without completely stopping you in your tracks. The game just becomes harder with limiting the number of kittens you can rescue, no home room healing after a certain point, nor the ability to spend gold to buy potions (though you can still find them in treasure chests). The Mystery Rewards from Lvl 3 and higher aren't required – you can still choose the regular Health or Damage rewards.

But at that point, you can make the decision if you'd like to support the game or not. Or keep going and see how far you can get despite the limitations.

A purchase helps me keep doing this professionally. Mobile monetisation is weird.

If you want to play Couch Co-op locally on an iPad (or iPhone if you don't mind squinting), I assume you've got the disposable income to afford two Xbox or PlayStation controllers, so $4.99 USD for the game should be affordable.

If you want to play Online Co-op with friends, the price is a potential barrier. But, that's the model I'm going with for now.
    • I've implemented Family Sharing with iOS, so you can purchase once within your family and all play together. Game Center accounts are used for player names.

• I'm hosting several servers around the globe (check out tallowmere2.com/servers for locations), so you should be able to get a pretty good ping no matter where you are.

I weighed up lots of options on what to go with. The original Tallowmere was premium because there were no extra technical requirements. But with the sequel here, I feel the mobile market prefers free-to-install... and then it's a wild jungle of how to approach things after that.

My stance on things:
    • Ads – Not a fan as a consumer, nor as a developer. Sitting and watching something in return for a reward? Does anyone like ads? I don't want to implement them if I can help it.

• In-game currency – You get gold during each run by defeating monsters. Like, actually having to play the game and slay them. Directly buying gold, or watching an ad to get gold, is not something I want to embrace.

• Character cosmetics – I quite like cosmetic monetisation models in games, but, I still need to implement outfits and hats for Tallowmere 2 – on the cards, but not in yet. And because the game is 2D, rather than 3D, I'm not sure things would ever feel cool enough to set up a shop. Heck, I'd rather you play the game to unlock something, rather than get your wallet out further.

• Seasons / Expansions – I plan to just update the base game and let everyone enjoy things, rather than segregating the player base every time I release something new and substantial. Also means less technical stuff I have to deal with. I plan to offer story-based gameplay modes, short episodes for unique runs... As well as adding goodies to the classic high-score mode that is currently implemented.

• Wait times / Tickets / Gem packs – None of this exists in the game. Frankly, when I play a mobile game that starts limiting my time, I uninstall it. So many of these systems exist as endless money sinks... Not a fan.

• Separate Full Version / Demo Versions – Releasing two apps can be a thing (a free demo, and then a premium game beside it), but I feel the IAP model with one app flows better than managing two apps.
    I got into game development to make fun things. I am not a fan of IAP systems on mobile, but that's just how things are. The amount of time it's taken me to implement this single Core Supporter Pack – I'd rather not alter the monetisation model further if I can help it. Time will tell.

Factoring in all of the above, and deciding how I want to approach things, a slightly gimped version of the dungeon to start with, but then unlocking full access with a single purchase – this sits right with me.

Boardumb, decript, solarnya and 3 others like this.
  13. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    It's posts like the above that make me wish we could Like things on TA multiple times.

ChrisNZL likes this.
  14. Wall Jump Games

Dec 13, 2020
    Male
    I actually agree with this a lot more after reading this post hearing it worded by the dev makes it make a lot more sense and I 1000% this is a better way to go than apps. While I still personally would’ve preferred a premium app, I guess that’s just because I already own the game on Steam, so I don’t need to be sold. Still super hyped for this, really want to play it with my friends who don’t own PCs.

ChrisNZL likes this.
  15. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    ChrisNZL likes this.