Universal Sentinels of the Multiverse (by Handlelabra Studio LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ojtitus, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    I feel your pain.
    While I'm super grateful to the devs for porting it to iPhone, releasing it only for an iOS version ABOVE what it was previously without a word is not very cool. I'm wondering if it was a mistake/oversight.

Having said that...guess what. I've just updated my jailbreak from iOS 8.1.2 to 9.3.3, and it's like 40% because of this game!! 60% was due to reading about the jb situation and thinking that it could be a while before the next, and game devs my start to stop supporting iOS 8. So I caved in and updated.

2. sinagog

sinagog Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2014
    How long do you reckon the standard no expansion single player experience tends to last? I don't do season passes (aren't I manly :D ).

3. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #183 LordGek, Aug 7, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
    Pretty tough to say. I still contend, even though it is billed as a cooperative game and now it can be played easily as an mp game, most people play this as a solo game on their iOS devices. There is definitely enough in the base game to let you know what this game is all about and while having new baddies, heroes, and places to fight GREATLY adds to the game's replayability, if the core game doesn't do much for you all the expansions in the world are meaningless.

I've grabbed every expansion as they dropped, and while I love the huge variety it offers, I don't feel I really know any of the hero/villian/location decks intimately as I would if I forced myself to just focus on all of the base game guys first so I then would know that much better how they'd work with the new expansions I might add later.

4. sinagog

sinagog Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2014
    Hmm. Sounds like the game may be just a tiny bit too baroque for my tastes. Plus knowing me the knowledge that I have what's essentially an incomplete version of the game will get grating fast. Massive thanks for all the intel, m'lord!

5. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    No problem, but add onto that the fact that this digital port is a couple of years at least behind the physical card game, so even those of us that buy each exp as soon as it drops in this digital version get that big "incomplete set" feeling. ;)

6. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    So you've signed yourself up for the 're-jailbreak every 7 days' cycle then? As tempting as it was, I just can't bring myself to commit to that. With kids and work etc, it's rare I turn a PC on these days - let alone sit there and go through a JB every week. I like knowing that when it's done, I can just forget about it.

Had Pangu managed to maintain the 1 year Dev certificate then I would have probably gone for it - as it is, I'll just have to hold out and hope that the rumour about an iOS10 JB is more than just a rumour!

7. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Is multiplayer async?

8. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Nope. I've got a jb for one year. I think the latest Pangu 1.1 is up until April now, but would need to research to check that, but I'm fairly sure they updated it.
    How I've got the one year is I used ipastore and downloaded Pangu from within that which signs it for a year. No 7 days for me. Check r/sideload for a how to on that one. I paid for the $17 yearly access to ipastore.
    However, you do have to "re-jailbreak" after you turn the phone off if you want the jailbreak back, otherwise it's just your normal phone on iOS. And to do the re-jailbreak you just press on the Pangu app and let it do its thing. Takes 30 seconds....and how often do you turn your phone off anyway?
    Signing the jailbreak for a year was a game changer for me.

9. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    Last I'd heard, the 1 year Dev certificate in the Chinese version had been revoked by Apple and replaced by Pangu with the free 7 day one in the English language version. I had read the 1 year version only required a re-launch of the app, which I could happily live with - but at my last check (weds just gone) it was only the 7 day option for the English language JB. I'll take another look - if I can get a year, or even 9 months, I'd go for it.

So did you use the Chinese language version or English from IPAStore? Only version I can find is the Chinese 1.0

10. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    English version is in the ipastore app. Ipastore is a paid yearly service. It's the fact that ipastore signs it that gives you a year. Just have a read of the how to in reddit sideloaded.

Having said all that. Man was it an ordeal to update, simply because I'm so far into this jailbreak thing. It's mostly that I've got iPad apps running on my iPhone and those can only be loaded manually after the jailbreak. So it's not a matter of letting iTunes just do its thing, but I have to manually get my phone back up to what it was after the iTunes stuff.

11. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    Ah, ok - that makes sense about IPAStore. I have looked at it before but never saw a need and, if I'm being honest, didn't trust it enough to divulge my card details. But £20 isn't a huge price to pay for a years jailbreak, I'll take another look. Cheers for the tip!

And yes, I know exactly what you mean about transferring apps/tweaks etc between jailbreaks. A massive PITA! It's almost enough to put me off upgrading and re-jailbreaking.....my iPhone barely resembles the stock iOS anymore and I have some great tweaks and apps running that require separate tweaks and/or command line entries, which in turn require command console installation.....and so on, and so on.....

Don't get me wrong, I love the geekery involved in figure out how to get it all working how I want, it's just finding the time to do it that puts me off.

12. falcon815

falcon815 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    nope, it's real time

13. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    I see thanks. That's a pity, seems really suited to async.
    Despite I hate superheroes settings, I'm really liking the fixed deck mechanic without resources and how they implemented the iPhone version.
    Anyone knows if there are similar games in mechanics before I hit the buy button?

14. falcon815

falcon815 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    I feel like async games of Sentinels would take way too long. Almost every hero has a mechanism by which they can make a decision or take an action outside of the normal turn order, which would require building some kind of notification system into the multiplayer or risk waiting a day or longer to get through just one round of play.

As for games with similar mechanics, I've heard multiple people mention a game called Shadowrift and a Lord of the Rings card game. Neither of those are on iOS, though.

15. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    I think async (obviously with notifications) would be better anyway...I can't imagine being all online for so long expecially on mobile (what if you receive a call?).

I bought the game anyway.
    I hate both superheroes and comics but gameplay is just too fun and the UI is so clever on iPhone it was too good to pass it up.

16. gaberaph

gaberaph Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2015
    You guys this is currently on sale!!!

17. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Interested in trying but not sure how much content is in the game without season pass or other iap? .99 seems like a no brained but still want to know content in the "as is" without iap.

18. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #198 LordGek, Oct 13, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
    It is well worth it for $1! It is a complete game, even with just the starter set. Basically IF you like the game's concept from that core set, have at it with the many expansions, and, on the other hand, if the core set you just find a mildly amusing diversion or less, at worst you lost a $1 to find out.

This is the ULTIMATE of modular card games. To create a session you simply choose a villain, a location, 3-5 heroes and you're ready to rumble. All these expansions do is add more villains, heroes, and locations to choose from, which each bring their own unique tweaks to the game's core mechanics.

19. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Thanks! I almost got it went it was on sale a while back with the release of universal but just couldn't decide.

20. JohnnyClash

JohnnyClash Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2016
    Thanks for the info.. Yeah, this sale was a no-brainer.. Glad to have it in my game list.