iPad Sentinel Strategy Discussion

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by rpb1975, Apr 13, 2009.

1. rpb1975

rpb1975 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    IT Consultant
    Texas
    Ok, so I wanted to start a thread discussing strategies for Sentinel (there are already threads for Dungeon Defense, Elemental Monster, Fieldrunners, Geodefense, etc), but I think the strategies in Sentinel Differ for various reasons.

I started on Medium, and I have yet to beat the second map. I can get close to 90 waves, but I can't seem to get all the way. My issue seems to deal with running out of money too fast. I hope to get a good discussion running on different strategies used by you TD geniuses out there (myself NOT included ;)).

2. VoodooVyper

VoodooVyper Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2009
    Well I just started playing today, decided to have a go on easy just to get the hang of it. I can definitely say it's better to upgrade first than it is to place more units. This is usually the opposite of most TD games.

eg:
    The laser tower costs 20 to build and does 1 damage.
    The first upgrade costs 20 and upgrades it to 2 damage (I know this is contradictive to what I just said but wait...)
    The next upgrade costs 20 and doubles the damage to 4
    The last upgrade costs 20 and doubles the damage to 8
    In summary, one laser tower doing 8 damage costs $80.
    This is opposed to building 4 towers, each doing 1 damage for a total of 4 damage.
    The ideal situation would be to have these towers at bends and curves in the path (on the inside) closest to the point of invasion. Max them out and then work your way down the path.
    I didn't look much into the bomb or the slow-down one, but also what I realized is that it's best to get the drones out as early as possible. And if you use the strategy I mentioned, you will be all set for a good number of ways afterwards, so you can save up and get interest.
    Don't forget, try not to spend before a wave ends, this way you'll maximize your interest.

3. ibelongintheforums

ibelongintheforums Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    yea......
    for the laser towers (towers that fire blue rays)
    it starts with 400 damage and when upgraded (upgrades cost same as buying new ones)
    it has 900 damage or 100 more damage then you would have had if you did not upgrade and bought a new one
    keep long distance towers in the parts where you can hit both sides of the maze

4. rpb1975

Feb 5, 2009
    IT Consultant
    Texas
    The $300 tower seems to be useless. By that I mean....it doesn't do much damage if any. Has anyone found a good use for it?

5. hkiphone

hkiphone Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    There's more discussion at the official game's forum here:
    http://www.origin8.com/forum/index.php

I did end up using the $300 sniper gun quite well on the 2nd map, by placing it in the middle, it was able to keep shooting (although at a slow pace) at the mutants slowly going around the map. By the time they reached the right side of the map, they were dead :). You also need ot upgrade it to ensure it does one-shot kills, as reload takes ages, especially if there's a flurry of the birds.

6. rpb1975

Feb 5, 2009
    IT Consultant
    Texas
    Good advice! It is so hard to upgrade those expensive weapons because they are....uhhhh....expensive! :D

7. mek

mek Well-Known Member

the laser gun does come in handy in the later missions, when fully upgraded
    because of its range, damage, and speed

but i agree..it is expensive,

i normally acrue some compound interest by being patient and lean/efficient with my towers, so i can get my drones and then upgrade to the expensive towers

8. hkiphone

hkiphone Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    A little trick you might try: sell the weapon just before the last mutant is killed, and you'll get a partial refund that will help you earn a little bit of interest at the end of the round.

9. organerito

organerito Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    I just got to wave 240.

As other have said, don't waste your money at the beginning. Just buy and upgrade as little as necessary. You'll be able to buy stuff with the interests.

Attached Files:

10. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    I'm terrible =(

Can't get past the first map... On easy.

11. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    ouchhh... one tip i have is make sure you have plenty of the mortar shots (to squish the bugs) and then plenty of the regular guns to shoot down the flying guys.. you should be able to do it without breaking the first barrier.. don't upgrade the towers too quickly.. it's better to have many guns firing than just a couple souped up ones..

12. One of the more challenging TDs.

I've been able to beat Easy 1 without breaking the first barrier, Easy 2 without them breaking the final barrier (lost both initial barriers around wave 65 or so), and haven't yet been able to win Easy 3.

While not as tough as GeoDefense, this one's definitely not a game I can put down for 5-10 minutes during play while doing something else (like I can with Besieged or 7 Cities) and expect to still be okay when I pick it back up. Looks to be a balance with making sure your towers are only barely good enough to kill the creeps so you can maximize interest.

I need to rethink my basic strategies for this game, which is definitely not a bad thing...

13. ASFx

ASFx Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Finally got to wave 270 for the first time on perimeter. I got 20th place on the top score list. This is a shot right before my inevitable demise.

Anyone else have a better placement for the slow towers? I tried to make it as perfect as possible.

[​IMG]

14. falloutmike

falloutmike Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    VA
    #14 falloutmike, May 18, 2009
    Last edited: May 18, 2009
    Im up to wave 120 to 150... can't remember since havent been on it in a while. But it just keeps crashing due to all my laser towers, whole map is full.

Eh just checked, wave 201 I was way off from my guess.

15. MojoArcanus

MojoArcanus Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Unless I'm mistaken, with this new update, when you buy a drone you have the choice of making it's primary goal to repair OR gather resources ($). This changes things somewhat.

16. organerito

Nov 24, 2008
    I have only made it to wave 270 in the last stand map.

17. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    :eek:
    OMG, how on earth are you ale to afford all those towers, lol. I keep running out of money. I'll get to around wave 120ish or so and then some really tough waves come in and I never have enough money do more upgrades and by that point by a bunch of cheapie towers just doesn't do enough damage.

The money bots just don't seem to bring in enough cash and their repair rate is abysmally slow to me to make it worth purchasing them at all.

18. organerito

Nov 24, 2008
    You have to save a lot of money. Spend as little as possible. Use as little towers as possible, just enough to kill all aliens. You'll get money from interests. Then, only spend the money from interests. i have finished the game with more than 9 000 00 dollars.

19. Origin8

Origin8 Well-Known Member

yup, have to agree with organerito there, saving money is the key to getting further into the game.

Also the repair drones will pay for themselves relatively quickly so you're really missing a trick if you don't use them at all, especially for endurance games ;)

Also the beam and sniper towers should not be upgraded until they stop killing enemies in one shot, it's more effective to buy another as you will kill twice as many...

Slow towers also cost less to upgrade than to build, and this will make them much more effective.

There are some more good tips and strategy discussions on our forum if anyone is interested.

20. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    Ah, I have been playing endurance on the "Last Stand" map which has been really challenging...on that map I've only gotten to the 120s. I just started Perimeter and my first try on that I got into the 120's. I followed your advice of doing 'just enough' and so far so good. My first barrier has yet to drop...doing much better in my 2nd effort so far. I have all 3 harvester bots and I am trying to balance the whole upgrading versus buying additional laser towers. I will have to wait til later to continue the game unfortunately. Darn work.