iPad Sense of speed in Ferrari?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Oliver, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

#1 Oliver, Dec 30, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2008
    Hi :)

I watched a couple of YouTube videos for Ferrari GT and noticed two things: The buildings and landscapes are blurry/pixelated and the game looks really slow. Even while driving at 250 the buildings move like you would drive 50. Coming from Fastlane I'm used to a frightening sense of speed with buildings flying away on your side and sharp graphics. Is Ferrari really that bad?

Bye,
    Oliver

Ferrari

Fastlane

2. Fubit86

Fubit86 Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2008
    STUDENT
    Seattle, WA
    no it is actually very good. The scenery does not become pixelated, and there is a great sense of speed. Totally worth ten bucks

3. oceanbeachsteve

Dec 5, 2008
    Film Writer, Actor, Producer
    Colorado
    Nah, it's really awesome actually! Comparing Fastlane to Ferrari is like apples and oranges really. Fastlane is a more realistic racer whereas Ferrari is arcade style. Fastlane does have the higher sense of speed, but Ferrari has its own sense of speed... I would describe it as like floating on a bolt of lightning, kind of like how I would feel if I owned a REAL farrari!

4. D.Sync

D.Sync Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    University Student
    Malaysia
    In my personal experience, I think Fastlane is more for a professional racer. You may notice that in Fastlane, there are no track radar at all. All you can see is a line that state your current position and the distance to the finish line.

As for turning, well, Fastlane is more difficult to master as there is no way for you to estimate the turn in front of you. It could be a small corner, sharp corner, or a complete U turn. It's really hard to predict. And that's make that game really hard to master. But once you do memorize every corner of the track and your car, then the games might sounds more interesting to play. What's more in Fastlane is you can watch and save your replay. Sometimes it's cool to see your replay and show it to your friends :D

Anyways, the bottomline is Fastlane is more for professional racer and for those who like to seek ultimate racing sensation. But for those who prefer casual racing, then Ferari is for you. It's similar with Need for Speed and GTR. Fastlane is like GTR while Ferari is like NfS.

5. Fubit86

Sep 27, 2008
    STUDENT
    Seattle, WA
    Also, the reason it looks slow is that in Ferrari, he is using one of the worst cars :)

6. gootch12

gootch12 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    New Orleans, USA
    Hello all. Been lurking for a while, first post.

I love Fastlane. (Bhagwad, ki-goi, TMAC34...you've all been doing a great job!) I've got three more tracks to finish first in before I complete arcade hard. Then I will work on arcade hard perfection and trimming my times on all the tracks in all the modes (normal, perfection, time trial). So, I still have plenty of playtime left with Fastlane.

But I want more! Which brings me to the OP...will Ferrari satisfy? Can some more people who own both talk about the sense of speed in Ferrari? If I'm into Fastlane will Ferrari feel slow and/or boring? Thanks.

7. Fubit86

Sep 27, 2008
    STUDENT
    Seattle, WA
    #7 Fubit86, Dec 30, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
    ferrari has a story mode that while not all that diverse, provides a lot of playing time. That kept me occupied for 3 hours before I beat it. I don't know why people are complaining about not being able to unlock cars once you've beaten story. While you can't BUY cars, you can unlock them by playing quick races (They're unlocked randomly i think). ferrari is awesome and will not disappoint

8. gootch12

gootch12 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    New Orleans, USA
    So forgetting the story mode, the unlockables, the different car colors, etc...

When you are actually "driving" in one of the Ferraris, is it a rockin good time?

Because seriously, to me Asphalt is just NOT really fun. I guess since they are both Gameloft titles I'm a little worried that Ferrari will be similar.

Again, I'm not talking about graphics or anything right now, just that visceral feeling that I get from Fastlane...does Ferrari have a taste of that?

9. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

I now bought it and it is an "ok" racer, which has problems with the framerate, the sense of speed and the controls. I will remove it from my iPhone very fast, because what really is broken are the controls. It does not make fun and I would not recommend it. Here's my full text on this game: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=52329&postcount=34

Fastlane is still the best regarding the three mentioned points.

10. synagence

synagence Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    I found this comment amusing ... he might be using one of the "worst" cars in the game but its still showing doing 275kmh in a ferrari but it still looks like he's doing about 70kmh

11. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

I found this also amusing ;). A 275kmh Ferrari should feel the same on good and bad cars and not like driving a VW Beetle in Gran Turismo (PS2) through the Paris track at 55kmh...

I mean, come on, there are just a few things which have to be right in the different game genres, and still, the devs sometimes fail miserably. In a racing game, sense of speed and a high framerate is what you need. In a pinball game you need a high framerate and realistic physics. And most racers or pinball games on the AppStore just fail at this (Nitro Kart, GTS World Racing, Ferrari GT, Rollercoaster Pinball).

12. Freeway82

Freeway82 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008

We get it. You don't like the game then delete it and move on. Quit bashing it left and right. Sense of speed this, framerate that. There are many of us who bought it and love it and Gameloft does not cater to your needs only. For the fact that you do not like it, does not make it bad. It is a superb game well made.

13. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

I just hope that Apple will sometimes add a demo mode to the AppStore ;). Even a five minutes test-sandbox would save a lot of money from us.

Freeway82: I'm not bashing it. I said it's "ok". And the points I mention are not subjective, but objective: Framerate, the speed in which the buldings move besides you and the sensitivity of the accelerometer are things every buyer of this game can see on his own device. Maybe many don't have a problem with these points, but they are still valid. Many people also don't have a problem with the 12 frames per second of Nitro Kart, but I do ;).

While the sense of speed and the framerate is no issue that will be fixed with a small update, the accelerometer sensitivity is something, that can be fixed very easy - they just have to double the values, the slider generates (current max = middle of the new slider). But Asphalt had this "feature" for 2.5 months without a solution and so it seems, that Gameloft won't fix it, which is sad. Regarding the reviews on the AppStore, I'm not the only one which would be happy with such a fix (both in Asphalt and Ferrari).

14. smiffsoft

smiffsoft Member

Jan 5, 2009
    code monkey
    uk
    As a Ferrari lover and racing game fan I installed it. Spent about 10 days playing it when I could and have removed it now. Very unimpressed. Great visuals, but I didn't get on with the accelerometer or the other steering options. Could be such a great game with some more work.

15. synagence

synagence Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Without meaning to hijack the thread ... i thought a way an application could be demo'd is if it allows an app to be installed into a tethered iphone/ipod and the game would run while plug'd into itunes

So you could connect your iphone to your computer...install "as demo" onto that device but as soon as it was disconnected it would wipe the app from the phone

16. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

Since in iTunes everything is a song ;) they already have this model implemented: You can rent movies and they expire. If you would be able to rent an app for free for a day, this would solve the problem. They just have to add a question: "Remove or keep?" Keep of course charges the full price and buys the app finally. With this mechanism, they could also add a positive rating generator: Tapping on keep also asks for a rating, then buys the app. Currently, they only have this negative rating generator when deleting an app.