Sega Columns $1.99

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by iago, Jul 3, 2009.

1. iago

iago Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Long Island, New York
    According to Sega:

http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2009/07/02/columns/

I don't see a price change in the app store yet, but will check again later. Given the reviews (and the fact that I played enough of this game 15(?) years ago), I was not about to buy it - but hey, free is free.

How any of this ties into Independence Day is beyond me, I can't wait to see what developers want to make free for Arbor Day.

2. Prab

Prab Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Im so glad theres so many public holidays in the US :D

3. PeterM11

PeterM11 Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    East Coast, USA
    lol.

What would really be nice would be a sale on Sonic! :p

4. Joker13z

Joker13z Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Oh wow. I used to have this on my sega as a kid. Haven't played it in yeeeears. I'll definitely pick it up for free.

5. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    that game came out aug '08 on itunes and it's never seen any kind update, guess that's why they figure they can give it out for free

6. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    Just to let you know, the conrols are terrible. I bought it because I was a big fan of Puyo Puyo, and it is impossible to play. It is way better to just play from an emulator.

To be worse, this isn't even a port. The game is a toned down version of a moblie version. That means less options and worse graphics.

Cocometer (sorry, I had to): 2 out of 5

It may be fun for newbies, but those true to the series will find it impossible to play once it gets to the faster parts.

7. I've also got a free version called [app]Billionaire[/app] on the app store, with much nicer controls, imo.

8. thenewconfession

thenewconfession Active Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I saw this today and was pumped also being a huge fan of puyo puyo! Im sure I'll pick it up for free but hell a shame the controls are so wonky.

9. drach

drach Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Used to love this game - will definitely pick it up for free. Thanks OP!

10. 'Jeep

'Jeep Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    U.K.
    Used to play this on my Game Gear! All my cartridges went up in smoke in a fire, I still have the console... Will have to try this if it's for free!:D

11. willmeek

willmeek Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    What a shame that Sega didn't spend the time to port this properly. Charging money for it when the controls were so messed up is terrible.

While Monkey Ball was always a lot of fun, how long did it take for them to address the control issues with it? It sold a ton, and they still weren't dedicated to doing whatever they could to make it as good as possible.

Great that they're giving Columns/Puyo Puyo for free. However, if they don't fix the controls, who wants it? Maybe they will....for good will if nothing else.

I've always loved Sega and want them to be as quality a company on the iPhone as they were with consoles and games back in the day.

12. oneWAYup7

oneWAYup7 Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    In God's World
    I had so much fun with this game, i didn't even know it was available in the APP store. Thanks for sharing the news, otherwise i wouldn't had found out.

13. Prab

Prab Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Price has been changed. Its Free now [App Store].

14. drach

drach Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Yes - downloading now...

15. Shinto

Shinto Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Spain
    I donĀ“t see the bad controls, sliding is fine for me but just downloaded it and maybe I will see with time but now I think are ok. With accelerometer is impossible

16. frogtorch

frogtorch Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Tried it. Ugh.

17. thenewconfession

thenewconfession Active Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I am actually having a good time with the Puyo Pop side of this title. Using Touch controls only accelormeter controls was proper trash. I am a little suprised that this one is getting play time!

18. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    Rather awful. Deleted and trash bin-ed.

19. sf49lu

sf49lu Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Sylvania, OH
    Ya this game. Sucks. It is the worst game I have ever played. Probably worse than games that don't even boot, cuz at least I don't waste any time on it.

20. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    I'm not sure what everybody hates about this game. It's columns *shrugs*

Unless you hate the original, then okay. I agree with the post a few spaces above me, with the accelerometer it's horrible. Just turn that off and the controls are similar to EA's Tetris.