iPad Seeking community ideas :)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by spacerage, Feb 10, 2009.

1. spacerage

spacerage Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    I've been working on a game engine with a colleague of mine, and we've come up with a very nice interface for a fps game with very good graphics; all running at a good frame rate etc.

What we're now seeking is ideas on how the game should work. Im personally into games like counterstrike and the multiplayer side of halo etc. So Im currently thinking to make it so you have just 2 game modes: deathmatch and team death match, and possibly capture the flag too. You would choose the type of game and number of rounds, number of points to reach per round and no of AI players at the start of each game. This would mean there would be no overall sort of highscores etc, but could possibly earn trophies or maybe work out a player score based on how many games they've played with their k/d.. and this could be submitted online perhaps.

What are other peoples thoughts? Would the majority of people prefer what I described above or a story based fps where you have to follow set levels etc?

Obviously online multiplayer would be a very nice feature, but we want to get the offline play sorted out as a priority.

2. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    #2 GDSage, Feb 10, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
    I say stick to your convictions. It is good for you to just chase multiplayer-only instead of trying to opt for a me-too FPS, including everything plus the kitchen sink. Though don't expect to win over reviewers with such a stance, even though clearly you have a multiplayer game where everything is focused around multiplayer, they'll still dock you for not having the kitchen sink.

But I say ignore that. There is a huge market for multiplayer-only titles and there's a large enthusiasm for multiplayer titles on the app store.

I do think you need to be heavy with regards to stats (kills, deaths, then complicated stuff like percentage of head/torso shots, so on). If you're going to do multiplayer only you'll want the absolute necessities and heavy stat tracking is one of them.

As for anything else, a training mode (or bot mode) is a must so players can dip their feet before going into the deep end of facing actual people.

One more thing, try and go for a less typical look. Too many games (especially FPS) look the same nowadays with a palette consisting nothing more but shades of brown and grey. Try and set the game in a more obscure world than in a modern/war torn setting, with a surprisingly colourful art direction. I'm not suggesting using pink all about the place with crayon art scribbled around, just something that looks interesting for once rather than another brown corridor. Look at Xbox Live Arcade's "Weapon of Choice" for a better understanding when I talk about a surprisingly colourful art style.

I think more than anything though is the controls, that is going to be your toughest challenge. What do you have in mind with control, and in what manner will it be presented in the UI? With regards to this I would suggest opting out of a jump mechanic. It is one less thing to worry about cramming onto the screen, plus there have been very good and successful FPS games out there with no jumping. Now, no jumping makes multi-levelled design a tad tricky so use jump pads in order for players to reach different heights.

3. spacerage

Oct 21, 2008
    yeah, I think we'll steer clear of the story mode.. I always get through them too quickly and find them fairly boring. I prefer multiplayer even if its just against bots, which is what it will be to be begin with.

I think the controls are spot on though; and the user testing has gone fairly well so far. We're not going to bother with a jump button, like you say it would clutter the interface up too much.

The overall look has yet to be decided, but like you say we dont want the usual boring browns etc, so hopefully it will look quite nice. What we're most suprised with is the performance though: we've managed to get some huge maps generated and they run really smoothly.

What do people think of just a multiplayer with just bots? Is it something there is a big market for? As online multiplayer will be at some point in the future.

4. jupiter21

jupiter21 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    trophies are a must. trophies add so much replay to a game...

and what about a points system where you can buy stuff. like clothes/guns, etc...

on a side note, it would be really cool if it had a good cover system, and some destructible environment stuff.

5. rpb1975

rpb1975 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    IT Consultant
    Texas
    Ok, a few thoughts.

1) I love this idea. I really enjoy playing multiplayer FPS, and you would be the first dev with a decent engine (I am assuming a lot with that statement)

2) You mentioned Halo, but I would also like to mention Unreal Tournament 2004 as an idea for how to set up some of the gameplay. One reason is that the Unreal Tournament 2004 game can play on almost any graphics card (which shows the efficiency of the programming), and it has a great layout. you have to unlock certain types of gameplay to play other types. You pick your team and your team grow with you as you progress. These are some cool idea from my point of view.

3) FPS is so important with games like this. I will point out Exzeuz as a great example of a combination of good graphics and good fps.

If you want to discuss this any further, just PM me.

Good luck!

6. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Wait, you mean your game, for now, won't have local multiplayer as well? If that is the case, you're going to have a much bigger hill to climb than if you had local multiplayer. If the core mechanics and overall balance is good, I would buy it in a snap as I would know multiplayer would come in time.

However, where site reviews are concerned you normally only have one chance with them, and a multiplayer-focused game with no actual multiplayer at all... I don't think that would make a good first impression, even if they did know it would come later via an update. Because after all, you want to make a good a first impression as possible, as you need to exhaust every avenure to ensure the title sells as much as possible.

If you could spare the resources, I would suggest to at least put in local multiplayer for the games release. I think reviewers and players in general would be a lot more forgiving then, despite there being no online yet. If you cannot spare the resources, then try and work out something with site reviewers so they could re-review the game when local and online are implemented. Though I am unsure how willing reviewers would be to doing this.

You mean unlocking other modes? If so, please no. There is nothing worse in a multiplayer game than having to unlock modes. In a multiplayer game it is best to make all modes available from the off, because certain modes aren't preferable to everyone. Having to be forced to play a mode one does not prefer in order to unlock another mode... isn't an avenue I would suggest to go down.

7. Wearenet

Wearenet New Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Just make capture the flag and copy facing worlds and lava giant from unreal tournament. Make it low gravity maps and make the weapons easy to aim with and you will sell millions of copies. instagib also.

8. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    So your suggestion is copyright infringement...

9. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

#9 Der-Kleine, Feb 10, 2009
    UT 2004 Level design wuld be great :).
    I think a game that is abit UT 2004 wuld realy be great.

What i would like in this game is a game mode called "Assault" (It's one of the game modes in UT).

What i alsow would like is:
    -a level editor (if possibel, it could be VERY hard i think (I have only done "Hello World", so idk :D))
    -online multiplayer
    -single player mode (so that you can play this game without an internet connection (like when you're in a train/bus/car..., not at home,...))

Sounds like a great game, and i hope it will be a great game :).

10. Wearenet

Wearenet New Member

Jan 19, 2009
    I didn't mean copy exactly but those 2 maps have the best level design to get "inspiration" from. I'm sure epic games really cares if you make a map similiar to a game from 1999 that they barely support anymore.

11. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

Some of the maps are in the new games to.

There are some maps from UT 1999 in Ut 2004 (Don't know if they are in UT 3)

12. butters

butters Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    +1 on Facing Worlds. That is one of the best FPS Maps ever! A remake/edit would be awesome.

13. BATTLE BORN

BATTLE BORN Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    while I do think your idea would be fine for a "deathmatch/arcade mode" of sorts. I think goals and a story would help it from becoming stale too quickly.
    just like your first game was sort of an arcade shooter game, but without any variety I had no reason to come back to it. (let alone purchase a "sequel")

but who knows, if you nail the gameplay, then more power to ya.
    Just please don't make this the spacerage equivalent of a FPS.

of course this is all personal preference. while I personally only played Unreal Tournament a handful of times before getting tired of it, I played bioshock and halflife 3 nonstop until I beat them. (and still craving more!)
    but for short play periods, deathmatch mode wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing at all. I'd just like to see more than that.

14. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    #14 GDSage, Feb 10, 2009
    It doesn't matter at what year a game is released, publishers take copyright infringement very, very seriously and are strict on the matter for all their products, no matter their release date. Every IP is treated one and the same to a publisher when it comes to copyright.

The age-old reasoning of "Oh, it is really old so it doesn't matter, they won't bother" doesn't work, and publishers do not look past it.

15. spacerage

Oct 21, 2008
    We'll definitly add in trophies then, and have a serious think about doing a story mode too. How many people use local multiplayer? I've never actually had the chance with any games I own on the iphone, so I'd not really considered it as an option- sounds like we should at least add it that in the initial release though.

Also, dont worry I wouldnt be infinging any copyrights :)

16. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Good man, and quite rightly too.

As for the local multiplayer, I speak of that more for your benefit when it comes to site reviews. Site reviews are going to hold it against you for no online multiplayer, even though it will come at a later date. So if you're going to couple that with no human multiplayer at all... you see my what I mean? But aside from that, I think local multiplayer will have its use. There's a hell of a lot of pod players now, and so word of mouth of a good FPS multiplayer game could do wonders.

If you really can't do local multiplayer though, then I would suggest doing a sort of single player mode to better sway reviewers. What I mean by "sort of" is do a mission-based design using the maps you've already designed.

For example... if one of your designs has a base / fortress

Mission 11 - Bunk em out

Description - bots are couped up inside their protective base, all eyes cast outside for opponents. From firing slits within they can dish out fatal damage with relative safety .

Objective - Find a way into the base and take out all bots
    • Gold medal requirement - Complete the mission under 'X time' and with no damage done to yourself
    • Silver medal requirement - Complete the mission under "X time'
    • Bronze medal requirement - Complete the mission

So try and do something like that with the level designs you already have / are planning. That way you don't need to do narrative or story or anything like that yet still offer a challenge for single players.

17. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    If you are doing a story mode, perhaps then it should be different enough from the multiplayer centric game to warrant a playthrough.

Look at a game like, say, Rare's Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. On N64 they were cream of the crop, but I know that PC centric gamers didn't really dig them...except, in my experience, when mentioning the single player story modes. Most PC FPS titles pre-Half Life (and even now, tbqh) are very multiplayer centric to the detriment of the single player mode. And when they do have a single player mode it's basically just padding for the true focus of the title: the multiplayer modes.

To go back to Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, you'll notice that the multiplayer game and the single player game actually played quite differently from each other. The story modes in both those games erred more toward slower paced action gaming employing stealth and the like. The multiplayer modes were more frantic, more visceral action shooting. So if you do add a story mode, have that mode contrast with the multiplayer in feel.