iPad Secret of Mana - (by SQUARE ENIX)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Rivozzz

Rivozzz Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Well..your post is very funny.. I don't know where to start criticizing all that bluff....

Well about Aralon:
    ----------------------
    1)I hate aralon..but I don't say it is a bad game because sure it has it's fans who love and get absorbed by the graphics ovER story and tactics..so that I hate aralon doesn't mean I gonna judge and say all people u should hate aralon because I hate it..screw the graphics at least for me
    2-I may go on and act asif aralon was some kind of best rpg ever on any console and that it has it's fans more than lady gaga lol..well if we even consider aralon is such a woow game..what do u suggest people do after they finish it???? All they will play aralon..and try to be faithful to it and not play any other game looooooool
    3- stop saying aralon aralonn..okay u r building a hype and advertising..if u say there is many wow games..why do u keep saying aralon
    4.stop comparison it's non sense..u are puting different games in same category..did u know that final fantasy mechanics differ than secret of mana and differ than Aralon or being rpg meaning that all are exactly the same...
    About Square enix
    ----------------------
    1- in my opinion...there game are wow..maybe not so graphical complexation but the story and gameplay are too solid..that's enslaved the people and made a big fan base over years..

2-in people opinion..well square enix games has been for q very long time in top 10 or 20 and made it alot in top overall especially when they release ff1,ff2,CR... Well I'm always monitoring rpg category ..aralon hardly breaking 25 in rpg since I last checked about 2 days ago..lol ..take others people opinion ..noy yours nor me looool

3-the other games...well there are so many games in appstore under rpg..I never enjoyed nor completed other than SE titles..all others stopped them half way or before that..Eternal legacy ( so easy I can play it eyes closed)CGS (what a boring game) zeononias(weakest in everything) the list go on...SE titles has best combination of everything..especially gameplay,tactics,story..that's why people love it and has this big fans ...

2. JoeBlonde

JoeBlonde Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Universal or HD version in the works?

3. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

In case anybody is interested in comparing, Secret of Mana is roughly $8 on Nintendo WiiWare.

4. gospel9

gospel9 Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    This price is a joke comparing to other titles. Do yourself a favor, buy games with much better production value and updated gameplay than this. Sure it was good back in the day, but that's... well back in the day.

Do yourself a favor and grab Aralon, Dungeon Defenders, and Dungeon Hunter 2 if you haven't already for better prices. About 1000x the value each game.

5. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    Might be right - I think the DS versions were Children of Mana and Heroes of Mana - never the true Secret of Mana!

I am eager to hear about the controls too but frankly I think my mind is set at 11 PM EST! Other than a report the game is completely unplayable somehow I will be getting this as soon as I can!

6. bigred447uk

bigred447uk Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    #86 bigred447uk, Dec 20, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
    To all you moaning about the price of this - get a job !

Instant buy ! This is a port not a crappy emulator. This is an amazing game and it looks even more beautiful than I imagined. It's worth 8 dollars of anybodys money. If you're lucky enough to be younger than me and have never played it then you are in for a real treat.

(Controls are excellent so far but I haven't played much yet)

7. Rivozzz

Rivozzz Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Refer to my post above

8. Deathwing

Deathwing Member

May 20, 2010
    What?

SoM's soundtrack alone is worth $8.99, let alone the game itself - have you actually played it before, or are you just inferring from screenshots and other material?

9. chickdigger802

chickdigger802 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    #89 chickdigger802, Dec 20, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
    Don't really have an opinion on price. UI is alright. the virtual pad is.... let's say it's similar to
    Heroes Lore III.

Graphics look horrendous on iphone 4. Feels like there is some kind of oil smeared on the screen. Usually I'm fine with this for most non retina iphone games, but this is a classic. The framerate is also kinda off.

Anyhow, if you are a die hard fan of this game. Don't pick this up. It would only piss ya off and make ya lose $9.

People that haven't played this. I recommend you try the wiiware version. If you want it portable get it on a snes emulator for psp. Or just get the rom and play it on your pc.

This should be the last option in enjoying this awesome game.

I bet it probably looks fine on non retina devices though.

10. Krollx

Krollx Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Early game impressions:

Controls:
    The game uses a 8 way direction pad. It's a pretty good one imo -- you can slide your finger away from the joystick area and you will still move. As soon as you let go it'll stop immediately and it is impossible to get stuck by the environment. It kinda feels like a joystick rather than a D-pad.
    The other two besides the menu is the attack button and run button. The run button took awhile getting used to but i figured out how it works. On the bottom of the screen is your character icon, if it's flashing then you can't run. You also can't change directions while running. It's only really useful in running in a straight line.

Interface:
    The interface utilises the touch screen in a unique way. There is three ways to access the menu. You can drag your character portrait to the middle of the screen, click on the menu on the top left or click on your character. To acess the sub menus such as inventory, options and equipments you flick the central portrait up or down. It hardly uses any buttons. Items in the item menu circles the portrait. To use them you just click on it. To make a shortcut for the item you just drag it to one of the 4 slots on the right hand side.

Gameplay:
    The loading times take less than a second. There is two save files and one auto save file. The game auto saves every time you enter a new area. I don't think you can manual save the game; the first time i could save was when Luka asked me to.
    It's the first time I've listened to the music of this game, and I love it. The way it changes according to the dialogue is awesome. For the combat, I usually use the hit and run tactic. Rather than sit there and trade blows, I can easily hit and run around the creep and hit again, usually dodging their attacks.

Long story short, I think it is ported perfectly. The movement controls are alot better than FFI (haven't got FFII), the menu works like a charm and the graphics looks really good.

11. Krollx

Krollx Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Hmm.. It works and looks fine my my iTouch 3gs.

12. chickdigger802

chickdigger802 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    well ya got a non retina device so of course it would look better =P

13. Since87

Since87 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2010
    the two post above me contradict eachother..

edit: nvm. the two reviews further above me

14. Krollx

Krollx Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2010
    On 2D spirit game for sure, but with 3D models i think the 4th gen would win ;)

15. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Thanks, you saved my day! I was really hoping for a review like this!

16. Krollx

Krollx Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Lol your welcome :)
    Since this is my first time playing the game, I'm finding all these little neat things about the game. Like the combat -- you can spam all you want and do little damage or wait a second for the energy bar to be 100% and deal a much higher damage. I'm guessing all the veterans of the game would know all this, but finding it out for the first time feels so awesome :D

17. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle

Wow the person there is just screwing around or just does not understand the charge combat mechanics. I am guessing just screwing around though. Spamming attack is not good in this game. So does anyone know if this has multi....

18. Krollx

Krollx Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Multitasking? Yeah it has it.

19. stutz

stutz Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2009