iPad Secret of Mana - (by SQUARE ENIX)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Dec 20, 2010.

1. dustdingo

dustdingo Member

Oct 26, 2010
    I'd say the best thing to compare it to is Across Age. Minus the puzzles - it's mostly combat. Really, really, really good combat. It's easily in my top 10 games of all time.

2. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    I am mostly interested in it for curiosity's sake. I loved the game when I played it...15 or more years ago. I remember the ending of the game quite clearly...but I really do wonder if revisiting the real thing will actually stack up to my fond memories.

Oh, and Vovin, I take issue with one of your early comments in the thread--this was not the best of the SNES RPGs, Chrono Trigger was. ;)

3. Waks

Waks Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Philippines
    I hope this will look good on an iPhone 4, and of course.. the controls :)

4. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    People are complaining because Square-Enix has a dubious track record of ceaselessly rehashing ports of 15-20 year old games, whoring them out to every single gaming platform under the sun, and charging ridiculous prices for them, instead of offer new, modernized content for what would be roughly the same price.

I spent $50 easy over the last two weeks and there is no way I would pay this price for what is basically a SNES port. Same thing with those Final Fantasy ports that SE did a while ago. Then again, I am pretty much the most anti-nastalgia gamer you will ever find. I was around back when these games were being sold originally in stores. But it's over now. That phase has passed and it's time to move on. Too many quality titles now to waste precious gaming time living in the past.

This game is not worth more than Aralon. C'mon now. It's not worth more than a boatload of games offered at a much lesser price.

5. ilStugots

ilStugots Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    I beg to differ. Aralon is a hugely impressive feat in that it was basically created by 2 people, but as a game to be compared to games like SoM, it does not have the same polish or attention to detail.

6. dustdingo

dustdingo Member

Oct 26, 2010
    The way I look at it is, if the game is still going to be something I'm going to have fun playing, if it's going to give me my money's worth in terms of entertainment, then I don't care if it's retro or new. I personally know I will have a blast playing through Secret of Mana again, just as I did 2 years ago when I played it on my PSP.

For me, that makes it well worth the $9.

7. Krollx

Krollx Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2010
    My first console was a N64, so i missed out on all the classic rpgs (Chrono Trigger, all the Final Fantasy games, Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy Tactics etc). Some might get the game for nostalgia but for me it's playing it for the first time.

8. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    My opinion of this - I wasted a little time reading this thread with you guys wasting my time when could have made $9 instead. Seriously 7 pages this early in the morning and not one gameplay on this version comment yet?

If you have to argue the worth that others place on a game that continues to be profitably ported at this point and time....

ughhh!

I am coming back after a few bloody marys.... this thread needs to have some impressions on the game.

9. MrStayPuft

MrStayPuft Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Drywall & Drywall Taping
    Toronto
    Funniest thread ever. People crying about it being 8.99 and the fact that it is a 90's SNES RPG.

This will be the best RPG on iOS period. All the other action RPGs on app store are just failed attempts at being this game. Some are not bad ( Zenonia ) but bottom line this is the best RPG you can get on you iOS Device.

These SNES games are perfect games to port and can work well. Too many people wanting and expecting new games with PS3 graphics and controls.

I would pay much more than $8.99 for this game no problem.

10. alextsou

alextsou Member

Aug 6, 2009
    I agree with this comment big time! I, for one, can't wait for this game to arrive. It is ridiculous that no one has posted a review(even a quick one) after 7 pages of comments.. All we get are people arguing whether it is worth the prices or not... (a pure subjective argument where NO-ONE will win in the end). I am in Canada and I can't wait for this game to arrive!

11. Krollx

Krollx Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Out in the Australian AppStore

12. chickdigger802

chickdigger802 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    I'm curious why this game is 70mb. Did they redo some of the art?

I definitely remember the snes rom being around 2mb >.>"

13. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    If you look at the screens you can see water effects and a few other things graphically that were not in the original.

14. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Don't forget that Aralon will go up in price soon - and will be more expensive than Secret Of Mana.

15. Cynicalone

Cynicalone Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    When the bitching about the price ends can someone post a gameplay video please? Thanks. :)

16. Robert M.

Robert M. Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    This thread reminds me why iOS gaming will never be taken seriously, too many people being cheap! That's why developers are going to put more effort into the 3DS and PSP2, they know they can get away with selling a $40 game. But on the Appstore people complain about anything over $5!!

Haha, Come on people, this game is old, but it's one heck of a game and it's worth every penny! :rolleyes:

17. Krollx

Krollx Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2010
    The game is 141.2mb if anyone wanted to know.

18. Solid Snake Man

Solid Snake Man Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    EMT/Instrumentalist
    Sacramento, CA
    Has there been any news as to how the multiplayer will work?

19. stutz

stutz Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2009
    #79 stutz, Dec 20, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
    There is a lot of combat but definitely puzzles as well. It is a lot like Zelda in terms of graphics and general game play. It differs in that it has a HUGE game world, multiple characters to play (you can switch between each character in the party while up to two other characters become NPC's), a more involved storyline, and IMO more advanced combat and game play.
    If you played Zenonia and liked it - you should love this. All action RPG's that are on the appstore today (Zenonia, Across Age, Seed, Chronicles of Inotia) would not exist if Secret of Mana was never released. AND IMO it blows all those games away despite being 17 years old. It truly is the quintessential action rpg.

Absolutely worth 9 dollars if they don't totally screw up the control system

Oh and by the way in 1995, I paid 79.99 for this game and it kept my friends and I entertained for the entire summer.

20. stutz

stutz Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2009
    #80 stutz, Dec 20, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
    Totally agree with this. I'm thrilled that they even decided to release this on the appstore and am happy to pay 9 dollars(to me that's a STEAL and they should charge that amount at the very least) for easily one of the greatest games in the square soft catalog. I may be wrong but I think this is the 1st portable release ever of the original Secret of Mana.

The bottom line is this would be 29.99 AT LEAST if it was released on the DS. Chrono trigger was 39.99 I think at release date.

Any word on how the controls work?