iPad Secret of Mana - (by SQUARE ENIX)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Dec 20, 2010.

1. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    Please don't speak for everyone. You go ahead and boycott and see where that gets you - maybe a dollar or two off in 8 months of so. You aren't talking about some indie hanging on by their finger tips here.

Square Enix has some sort of sale in August and drop some of their titles by a dollar or two for a couple weeks and then back to normal after that. Many of their games are at the original price right now. So pretty much they can do what they please. The sales will either prove you right or wrong.

If you went hog wild the last few weeks that isn't the rest of our problem that you were impulsive.

Now that I am doing what I hate, I wish the thread can return to actual content of the game rather than price whining. The price is what it is. I actually thought it might be higher so I am happy to save a buck.

2. New England Gamer

Jul 30, 2009
    The original game probably took 25 hours to just go through the game without side quests and without maxing out weapons and stuff like that. If you want it all it probably was --- 40, 45+ (???off the top of my head) hours.

3. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #43 Vovin, Dec 20, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2010

It is just ridiculous when people demand: "Give us FF or FFT / Chrono Trigger / Secret of Mana" and at release, they go like: "WTF!!!!11 WOOT no way i am gonna pay 9 bucks for this old sh!t!!!111"

Sheesh... S/E aren't a small indie dev group, they're a multi-million dollar company. People need to learn that.

4. theunis

theunis Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Has anyone from NZ had a chance to play it ? How are the controls and loading times ? (In the video a while a go the loading times looked quite awful, hope they fixed it :)

5. dustdingo

dustdingo Member

Oct 26, 2010
    #45 dustdingo, Dec 20, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
    Secret of Mana is one of the only RPGs that I've played through about 5 or 6 times, yet never beat the final boss. It's such an amazing game - I can't wait to get my hands on it. Maybe this will finally be the time I beat it.

That'd be about right - the first game I ever played in 1988 was Super Mario Bros. for the NES, yet never actually beat it until 2003.

Trust me - as long as they didn't botch the controls up in the conversion, this game is a must buy. $9 is a bargain.

6. New England Gamer

Jul 30, 2009
    Yeah I agree. Those other titles mentioned would be great to have ported as well and I really hope they are. But by virtue of their reputation and longevity these titles have earned their way into the upper price tier. I hope people can respect that.

Yes, everyone can make their own decision about how "worth it" this title is at 9 dollars but please don't disillusion yourselves into thinking you will influence Square Enix by boycotting it. All you are doing is hurting yourself if the price is the only thing holding you back from purchase.

7. benadvanced

benadvanced Active Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    has anyone from NZ gotten this game yet and can comment on the controls?

8. New England Gamer

Jul 30, 2009
    Wait til it gets released in Europe and UK - I am banking on more impressions then.

9. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Just one last thought: what are 9 bucks today?

My favourite Burger King gives me 15 minutes of enjoyment with a standard meal at that price.
    Cinema is taking my 9 bucks and entertains me for roughly 2 hours. Popcorn & Coke not included.
    At my favourite bar, I get 2 cocktails at Happy Hour... 9 bucks.

Square / Enix entertain me for at least 30 hours for 9 bucks... I'd call that a bargain.

10. Ezquerro

Ezquerro New Member

Dec 15, 2010
    That's a +1. Anyway, people have the right to not want to pay $9 for a game, but it's just a matter of priorities. The only thing they should do is stop with the bitching.

As for me, i'm gonna wait for the reviews/impressions to come up, then i'll decide.

11. scarypharaoh

scarypharaoh Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Medical Professional
    With Carmen Sandiego
    I never played this, is it just combat based or are there puzzles? Is it like zelda?(in broad terms:))

12. SirAwesome

SirAwesome Well-Known Member

May 20, 2010
    This is like xmas for me! Been waiting so long for this game :)

Im one happy panada :)

13. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

I'm more concerned how it controls than the price. As long as they work decently, I'll buy it.

14. butterbean21

butterbean21 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2009
    Awesome!! Can't wait to get this!! Been waiting since I saw the trailer at E3! Thought this wouldn't come until next year!

15. Lions

Lions Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Designer
    DC
    Yep, same here. *crosses fingers*

16. MacrosTheBlack

MacrosTheBlack Well-Known Member

May 23, 2009
    Illinois
    People need to stop b*tching about price. I've never, in my life, seen so many people cry and whine about prices like I do with iOS games.

17. ilStugots

ilStugots Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    Another important question is if they fixed the bug where you could cheese your way through bosses by stacking spells for 999 damage

18. Syndrome

Syndrome Active Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Crying on an Ios game is quite a joke seeing the price of the other platforms.
    This Secret Mana would have cost probably around 30$ if he came on Nintendo Ds, and the same crying people here would buy it instantly.

19. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    you mean euro. :/

20. Sephiroth7

Sephiroth7 Member

Dec 15, 2010
    is the same as the psx version but with other graphics?