iPad Secret of Mana - (by SQUARE ENIX)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Dec 20, 2010.

1. benadvanced

benadvanced Active Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    $8.99 is cheap for a title this amazing. This was one of the best SNES games.

2. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

I'm seriously considering this one. I never actually played the original, but I usually love old classics like this. As long as the UI and controls work well, then I'll be happy.

3. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #23 Vovin, Dec 20, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
    I'll support it and buy it on release day, because I want to see other titles from Square/Enix (like Chrono Trigger, FF7, FF Dissidia or an exclusive FF title) on the iPhone. This goal can only be reached when they are successful with their actual (new and ported) releases.

4. Fafner

Fafner Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    That's the page I'm on...

Since ipad came out I can't stand playing rpgs on my iphone...

I don't think this is a universal app but I'd like to hear from anyone who has tried it on ipad.

$8.99 for one of the greatest, if not THE greatest, action rpgs of all time is not that bad! if this was ANY other platform (xbox live, PSN, Wii) we'd be exited to get this game for $15!

I'm tired of scrolling through page after page in the forums just read a bunch of posts complaining about the price.

If you don't like the price and don't want to support the dev... DON'T BUY IT!
    Whining about it and making the forums harder to plow though to get any real info and just make the forums more cluttered!

5. Gemütlichkeit

Gemütlichkeit Active Member

Oct 5, 2010
    We all know what the gameplay is like. However I'm curious how well it translates onto a virtual stick/buttons.

I doubt it will be anywhere near the precision of the SNES controller.

6. Bad Hanson

Bad Hanson Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Somnambulist
    The Westcountry UK
    ...Tell me about it! I'm still waiting for a NZ'er to answer my question about iphone 4 graphic fidelity. It's like people think SQE will read this and lower the price (ain't gonna happen kids) and if they did do such a thing we'd have 20 more pages of bitching! We sure are good at that. :)

7. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #27 Vovin, Dec 20, 2010

This + 1

Heck, I am lost in the lands of Cheapskatania again.

8. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

S/E seldom lower their prices... and they go never for the 0.99$-mark.

9. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    $8.99 is an insult. I'd run out for a fair price but were development costs really THAT high?!?

10. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Basically this is the game that all those Korean ARPGs aspire to be. If it's properly ported (with good controls, decent touch-based AI, and clean graphics), it's well worth the asking price IMO.

Chrono Trigger and FF 3/6 are the holy grails, though.

11. Lions

Lions Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Designer
    DC
    Agreed. I hate seeing half the posts about pricing about any game. This is as a Square game for God's sake. Buy it or don't. I just don't want to hear how $9 is going to cause your financial ruin.

As to the iPad, making it universal is only going to move the buttons around. I mean, unless their going to redraw the sprites it's not a huge deal. Hell i've been busy playing Phantasy Star II on my iPad and it's perfectly fine.

12. Aristocratic

Aristocratic Active Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Architect
    Toronto
    #32 Aristocratic, Dec 20, 2010
    This game won't sell for $9 bucks US. It'll be forced into cutting off it's toes and going into the 'half price' limbo. The buyers dictate the prices and we'll drag our feet on this purchase. The game is from the 90s. A great game. But not a great price.

I also see a lot of comments on how "$9 isn't going to cause you to go into financial ruin." That were true if we weren't buying games everyday. Many of us bought the last dump of games a few days back - most of them $7 a pop. We're not going to keep buying games for that price unless they're justifiable. Support the dev or not - most of us don't give two bits about the dev. We care about the game. In a capitalist economy you either have what we want or you don't. Secret of Mana is a 'don't' for $9. When you make a non sequitur without thinking globally, it means you're trapped in a box. Financial ruin. Pfft.

13. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Add Dissidia and we're fine... ;)

14. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #34 Vovin, Dec 20, 2010

It's not a SEGA emu thing... this game is fully ported and was overhauled for touch controls. This alone swallowed months of work, not a few days...

15. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Yeah -- Square will go bankrupt if they don't find buyers for this game. :rolleyes:

Face it: SE can price this game however they want. They're more interested in maintaining the value of their IP than in recouping their (comparatively) ridiculously low investment. If classic RPGs don't make money for them in the App Store, they will simply stop making them.

16. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

LOL... You don't know S/E if you think they'll cut the price.
    Never happened before, never will.

This game will sell like sliced bread, I guess.
    We'll see the charts in the next days.

17. LKR

LKR Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Earth
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again: look up irrational sense of entitlement in the dictionary, and you'll find a picture of some kid with an iPhone. :rolleyes:

18. KushyKush

KushyKush Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    How many hours of gameplay in the main campaign?

19. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Yo. Torontos aristocrats aren't anymore what they used to be.
    Destituted nobility.

20. Bad Hanson

Bad Hanson Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Somnambulist
    The Westcountry UK
    Exactly, of all the bigger Dev's bringing apps to iOS Square are the least likely to buckle to pressure. Their sales have been moderate drops not 99c affairs for the most part. iOS dev is for them and on their terms. We are not their future, they have seen there is some money to be made and come up with a sensible business model.