iPad Secret of Mana - (by SQUARE ENIX)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Power Gamer

Power Gamer Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Ok, I didn't get the update because it's now iOS 7 only.

2. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    WHOA. Hope I can level quick even at 2-3 hours into the game, because after updating and reinstalling, I put my old save back on it. But, since Chrono Trigger has been updated too, I might tackle that one first.

3. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Looks blurry to me on iPad. Although, it might look good on an iPhone. There is no universal support. Fonts are better though.

4. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Yeah, I'm not a fan of this filter they've got going on here, either. Still, the iOS version is so much less buggy than the SNES version, I'd still rather play it provided I'm playing solo.

5. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Oh my word!!

I never knew Secret of Mana was out on ios, I loved that game way back on my Snes!!

Hells bells, I have no App Store credit now, I'll have to make a note to remind me!

Awesome :)

6. Power Gamer

Power Gamer Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    What about that EXP bug? Do enemies in general give more EXP throughout the game? I'm hesitating to upgrade, because that's the least this game needs - an even easier gameplay.

7. Retro Nug

Retro Nug Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    The Netherworld
    Does this update make the actual gameplay fit the whole widescreen, or did they just do the ol' lame sidebars with some sort of design in them thing amd the actual game is still the same as before?

8. curtisrshideler

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Yup side bars when I tested it. Might be an option to stretch it like FFIII, but I didn't bother to check.

9. diaskeaus

diaskeaus Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2013
  10. shadowgamerr

shadowgamerr Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2011
    Living life and Playing mobile games
    Right by your side
    #290 shadowgamerr, Oct 1, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
    And it's our fault is broken.

"This is an important notice for players of SQUARE ENIX games on the iOS platform.

Apple has officially released iOS 9. Please note that if you install the iOS 9 on your device, SQUARE ENIX apps may encounter malfunctions such as startup errors, performance issues or loss of data, or perhaps even fail to deliver in-game currency purchased with real money.

Since our apps are not fully compatible with iOS 9 at this time, we are unable to provide customer support for any trouble arising from installation of iOS 9 (including, but not limited to, data recovery or undelivered in-game currencies). Please be aware that SQUARE ENIX will not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, in any way for loss or damages of any kind incurred by installing or using the iOS 9 with relation to SQUARE ENIX apps."

Apparently we are the idiots because we paid the price and expected it would work once we choose to update the OS to benefit from its new features. It's not like it's been a beta out for several months during which they could have fixed it and prevented it.

EDIT: Ok, I have been too harsh, they do warn in the description of the app and say they are working on a fix. It doesn't change that it would have been ideal if they would have done it in the months of beta, but better than nothing.

11. curtisrshideler

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    I feel like it should be expected that apps will break at the beginning of any new iOS release. It's happened many times before, and it will continue to happen more so with an ever-expanding catalogue of games. Sure, it sucks and I've lost some games in the past, but if we just wait to adopt a new iOS, we won't lose the ability to play some games. I've just purchased a new iPhone 6 and put 8.4.1 on it just to keep a game working that no longer works on iOS 9. I guess it is just what we want more: new phone features or stable games at the moment.

12. shadowgamerr

Apr 16, 2011
    Right by your side
    No, the normal shouldn't be the expectation to be broken when you have months of beta available for trying your app (as developer). If that is the normal, then it's sad, because I thought the whole purpose of Apple pushing betas to us and the devs is to have things transition as smoothly as possible - which clearly isn't happening for this one (and others).

13. curtisrshideler

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    I just imagine if these big publishers had to only monitor their devs for updates to current apps for every iOS update, then they wouldn't have much time to plan and create new apps. And the larger the catalogue of games, the longer that testing and fixing is going to take. It's going to get harder and harder to keep maintaining apps with the sheer volume of updates that need to come around. Sure, I wish they could all be on the ball and have their updates ready to go. But the fact is that a lot aren't ready. And it's happened so many times in the past that it should be expected. And that way you won't be let down. Again. Yes, it's sad that we can't have the newest iOS and our older games. That's why I just don't upgrade to the latest iOS until the end of its cycle, when the apps I like our all updated.

14. shadowgamerr

Apr 16, 2011
    Right by your side
    So you tell me it's hard to have a guy opening the app (this is hard, I know) to check if it at least starts? Are you a Square Enix guy or what? The larger the catalogue of games (20 games let's say), the more it takes to open them (5 secs in Secret of Mana's case, multiply by 20, 2 minutes to go through the whole catalogue if the results are like that).It is going to get harder indeed, but there is a minimum respect they should have for us. In this case, all they had to do to find the initial issue was to open the app... If that is hard work and needs 40 people to open an app for you to invoke the excuse of not doing it so they can work on new games, then it's pathetic. Sorry, but I thought you had some actual reasonable argument, not that crap. You are right about one (more) thing, it has happened again, and it will happen again because of how much of a flying f they give about us. They got their money, they are covered by the stupid EULAs and other stuff so you cannot vote with your wallet a year after the purchase (say 25%-50% money back in case of crap and that should motivate them). You bought the game 1 year ago, 2 years ago, whatever the case, so you had your chance to play now go play something else. That's the kind of attitude a lot of them have (EA) and I hope Square is better at this than that.

Let's see how long it takes them to fix it, if it takes them more than 2 months, then it is as I said it: the beta was for nothing in their case, and honestly, some sort of partial refund should be available for cases like this.

15. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    LOL Square Enix must love customers like you. "Don't worry about fixing it for him, he expects it to be broken! *Team of devs all laugh at your expense while counting your money and going for lunch break*"

Nnnnno. I'm sorry, this is what betas are for. To troubleshoot ahead of launch for a seamless launch. That's why they exist. This is a big iOS politics issue and we can finger point at Apple, the devs, or ourselves for whoever owns this problem until we're blue in the face, but the fact is that it needs to be addressed, and sitting back and taking it dry is not the way for that to happen.

16. Scottlarsen

Scottlarsen Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2009
    #296 Scottlarsen, Oct 5, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
    Looks like they did check to see if it works, if the app description is anything to go by. It doesn't. What you really seem to be asking for is a fix. That does take some time and effort. This game is nearly five years old. Getting into the range where we would be lucky if a developer did continue to support it. If this upsets you that much, there are plenty of free to play options. Personally, I've gotten much more hesitant to purchase paid apps as a result of this very issue.

17. curtisrshideler

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Pretty sure those developers aren't laughing. They're the ones who work twice as long per day as I do and probably make less. They got my money for this game long ago, and it didn't even pay for one hour of work for one coder. These games aren't lucrative in the long run. So, that they fix it at all will be a blessing.

You do understand that these developers that work for a publisher like SE aren't necessarily owned by SE. And they aren't excited for Apple to release each iOS update. Because the execs are pushing new games and development, then have to decide if fixing the games that break is even worth it.

Then gamers turn in a bunch of complaints, the execs are tired of bad reviews and time-consuming complaints, and eventually they'll just remove it from the App Store. So, I can only suggest to be patient. This is probably a title they'll want to keep around, so they're probably working on it or have it scheduled to be worked on. Some dev is also about to release a new Mana game, which I bet the focus is on now.

Have you developed for a company and tried to push update fixes while also trying to meet looming deadlines for a new game that you're being demanded to finish before you can touch the old one? Until either of us has done that, neither will know what it's like. So, while others stress out, I'll remain on 8.4.1 and happily play most games.

18. curtisrshideler

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Square-Enix is focusing on mobile. They're probably more concerned with pushing new development and get just as frustrated with the long hours of figuring out why they're games get hung up with some updates. Then they have to take time to fix each one, probably after reaching their time table on slated projects. Business is like that.

I've been playing Final Fantady III for ove 4 and a half years over the course of four different iPhones and they're still supporting it. So, I'm sure they're going to still support this and Chrono Trigger. It just takes time. Now if anyone has more of a right to get frustrated, it's those that bought the expensive Monster Hunter game a month or so ago, and then impatiently upgraded to iOS 9, and THEN read on the app description that Capcom has no plans to update the app for iOS 9. That's a blow.

In the case of the mobile-focused Square-Enix, it's just a matter of being patient. Once the new Mana game is finished, I'm sure this one will be updated as well.

19. shadowgamerr

Apr 16, 2011
    Right by your side
    #299 shadowgamerr, Oct 5, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
    I guess that's why I'm so frustrated, their whole shift to mobile got me hopeful. Maybe with the next iOS that breaks games they'll be a step ahead, who knows. Anyway, I stirred the spirits here, it wasn't really my intention, I just wanted to drop a few words for if the devs have an eye on the topic. Hope it comes sooner rather than later that godly blessed update.

for a post from somewhere above
    Of course I was hoping for a fix, and the right thing would have been to be out when iOS 9 became available, since it would have been so easy to see it's something wrong with it due to the nature of the bug (in your face kind of bug, easy to find).

And honestly, free-to-s..t??? Seriously? We should encourage that crap instead of premium? It's no wonder devs won't do premium with this wrong mentality. No, thanks, I'd rather spend 5-10 bucks or even more to get the right experience and the right balance, no bs timers or paywalls. I will leave you now to wait your 15820301 minutes until the timer wears off and you can play again whatever f2p you're playing.

20. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    "Impatiently", huh. You mean upgraded when it was released, without going around and making sure every app we ever bought is gonna work first? If that's impatient, call me impatient. Weird to expect that a game released a year ago would still work, I know. But hey, I guess some of us are as unrealistic in our expectations as we are impatient.