iPad Secret of Mana - (by SQUARE ENIX)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Aristocratic

Aristocratic Active Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Architect
    Toronto
    There's a lot of great original titles on the market that flip from $6.99-9.99, this old rehasher needs a 50% reduction. Too little, too late. I'll pay full dollar for Square's FF Tactics revamp in 2011. This game is an epic flop.

2. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

so i just got the game (late i know!).
    ive been dying loads, and the first boss killed me at least 20 times before i got him down (and i was respawning!)
    are all the bosses this difficult? cus if so i've got a LOT of grinding to do.

3. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Does anyone know if they fixed the bug involving the last sword orb in this version?

4. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

#224 jak56, Jan 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
    hey guys, any tips on the gnome king boss? no matter how i try, i cant beat him! his magic attacks are unavoidable, and they deal massive damage!

argh. died again.

5. Krollx

Krollx Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Spoilers --

I used a walkthrough to get past this boss

Long story short:
    - Use water attacks since that is his weakness
    - Power up the water sword skill when ever you get the chance
    - Heal up when the boss disperses

"WEAKNESSES - Undine(Freeze) - (HP-850/MP-66/EXP-326/G-360)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This guy can definitely get on your nerves, he is a fire type boss, so
    obviously he is weak against Undine attack magic because they are water
    type (duhhh! ~ ). He will split into little balls and fly around the
    room, power up your sword, and as he is reforming, get the Sprite to cast
    freeze, remember the chain spell tip from before, and run in and attack
    him, keep doing it as much as you can until he disperses himself again,
    you will have to heal yourself a lot, so don't forget to. Use up all of
    the girl's Cure Water magic, because it is very useful, and that will
    help to power it up."

Source: http://www.gamefaqs.com/snes/588646-secret-of-mana/faqs/5611

6. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

thanks, but no thanks. in the end, i just went on youtube and found a video, which helped LOADS. but still, thanks for trying to help. much appreciated.

7. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Question from a newbie to this game - not bought it yet.

I've struggled with FF games and RPG's in general. I usually get stuck at some point in the game where it asks me to go explore in such and such a cave hidden in the hills and I can't find it.

Or I take a break from the game, come back, and have no way to recall in-game where I was going or why.

How is this game's difficulty overall and will I likely get stuck early on or forget where I was going if I take a break for a few days?

Also, is the game mostly attacking non-boss characters? That is what I have seen in the videos and the combat itself doesn't look very engrossing. So what is the appeal of the game?

Not disputing - just wanting to know if I should part with my hard-earned $8.99 after having not fully (but I have enjoyed) RPGs in the past.

8. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Bought. I've played lite versions of KRPG's but remember how kart clones, for example, just don't have the magic of the real Mario Kart games. Decided to get the original to understand better.

I'm past the first boss and just got shot out of a cannon to get to the Water Palace. This game feels like it has soul right from the beginning. If I don't get stuck or frustrated along the way, I think I'm in for a great journey. How long should I expect to play to the end of the story?

9. lepeos

lepeos Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    I completely love the game but I think I have to be objectional here. The game is fairly linear early on, so if you leave it for a while and come back to it, you may waste some time going the wrong way, but once you figure that you just have to go the opposite way really. Later you are given more freedom, but most NPC will help you on your way.

In terms of combat it's not a standard button mashing affair. Timing is the key and the magic that some of the characters can use really spices things up. In fact magic is something the port improves thanks to the use if the hot key buttons at the side, it really quickens the pace as you gain more powerful magic.

If I have to be brutally honest, I could see how people could perceive the mechanics as stale, but really it's the shiny body that sits over the mechanics that is the real star. Wandering around looking where to go is never a chore thanks to the bright and colorful sprites. The music can be cheerful and engaging and makes grinding never seem annoying, or it can be poignant and purposeful, making the admittedly light story, an epic saga. If these things haven't really drawn you in then maybe you're best waiting until FF: Tactics comes out, when it will probably be on sale.

10. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

i have no idea, but i can certainly guarantee you WILL get frustrated, due to the bosses. once youve got the technique down though, theyre mostly the same to beat, technique wise.
    if you dont mind having to remember where youre meant to go, and working out a few things you should be fine. and there's always walkthroughs to check when you get stuck!

11. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    GregB -

From what I can remember playing it back on the SNES - I think that gameplay ranged from 10 - 30 hours to complete it. What I do remember is that the experience was wonderful, and was one of the few RPGs that I actually had an interest in finishing. I generally play them to 70 -90 percent and then quit, I just don't care that much about the final boss, or whatever. This one wanted me to see what happened...

12. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    #232 GregB, Jan 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
    I'm wrestling with Tropicallo now. Stuck - once I get hit by a pumpkin its basically game over. I get hit again before I unstun. I watched YouTube videos and I dont know if the snes version pumpkins less. One vid showed a tactic of running to the ends of the room to avoid getting hit. I tried it and it doesn't seem to work.

I'm level 7 and using the spear. Any help aporeciated!

EDIT: Never mind :) Followed equipment advice in IGN Boss FAQ and it was a piece of cake :)

13. GasparZizou

GasparZizou Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2010
    MKT student, intern in an advertising agency.
    Guadalajara
    8.99? =S i hate that big companies price their games like that just for the "brand" when there are games with more production values at better prices...

14. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

i admit the cost is quite high, but i can guarantee it's worth the asking price. ive never actually played so many hours on an RPG without being tired of it.
    the fighting is really great, and unlike the other KRPGs on the appstore, the fighting doesn't get dull. it's much less tiring on the fingers for sure!

15. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Secret of Mana is not KRPG.

Imho, KRPGs' The story and characters are always very derivative or downright generic, the missions are not engaging (fetch 5 cats, kill 10 chickens, collect 10 ogre bones) and the whole experience is a grindfest.

16. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

that's great!
    just out of interest, what was it that helped you? cus tha trick i used was to smash him the moment he pokes his face out. no bombs that way.

17. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    What I did is described in the IGS Boss FAQ, but here it is as well. Posted in white - highlight to read.

Spoiler
    I equipped spiky suit, power wrist, and helmet. Wearing these, the pumpkin bombs only do 2-4 damage or so. I ran to avoid them but it didn't matter. Used my forged sword (now a cutlass) to do 25-35 damage each hit on the boss.

- Greg B.

18. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Also agree with the impressions above. I'm engaged, enjoy the combat (never did in KRAPG's), and want to keep going. Haven't grinded at all yet and the game seems to be progressing at a pace that doesn't drag. I got to the third boss (Spiky) and beat him first try without checking the FAQ.

I have all three party members now, the cutlass, rope, upgraded spear, and axe. About to learn first magic!

I was also pleasantly surprised by the graphics. I thought the game would look basic and dated by today's standards but it does not. The water effects (flowing and reflections), clouds floating, and seeing your characters and the environment through them looks great. There is also good variety in the environments and the lighting.

No complaints and, having not really enjoyed RPGs in the past, for me this is worth the asking price since I am really enjoying it.

19. idragoncool

idragoncool Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Rock Musician
    I hope they bring Secret of Evermore next whats what i really want and chrono trigger!

20. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

well, chrono trigger has already been rumoured for release, but in the meantime, this is a great title to enjoy! im already fifteen hours in- first RPG ive played this long for without being bored!