iPad Secret of Mana - (by SQUARE ENIX)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Dec 20, 2010.

1. K76

K76 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Feb 12, 2010
    Cowtown, Texas
    #201 K76, Dec 22, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
    *Edit*

Yeah, the whole thing I just posted here totally didn't happen. Move along.

*blush*

2. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    Game Impressions

Superb port--completely faithful to the original. The one thing I wish they'd change is giving us an option to move the Dstick around/change its size. It's a bit awkward since it's halfway up the side of the screen. Sometimes I miss it or it sticks because of that.

3. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    I am actually finding the touch area to the joystick quite large. I can actually move the characters around and am UNDER the joystick completely. As you progress in the game though you see why the joystick is so high - the line of characters in your party stretches across the bottom row so there really is no more room to lower it.

I do see what you are saying, I was just surprised how wide an area I can use to keep the joystick active! Quite the opposite of some where you barely slide off it and you lose control.

4. Bad Hanson

Bad Hanson Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Somnambulist
    The Westcountry UK
    A seemingly well informed itunes reviewer seems to have more than a slight problem with the frame rate saying it dips well below 20 fps whilst quoting the original ran at a smooth 60fps. Can someone who owns an iphone 4 (as that is my device) be honest with me in terms of performance. It would seem strange to cap the frames on such a capable device, even if to allow for gameplay on older devices. I'd rather not buy into a juddery'slugfest' type hack and slash because of nostalgia. I would appreciate an honest and objective response from someone please.
    I will add I did not play the game on snes (was far too busy becoming a Mario Kart Master :))

5. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    Game Impressions

It's running at perfectly fine framerates for me. I don't know if it's 60fps, it could be 50. But it's not noticeable at all. Did that reviewer say which device he or she was using?

I'm on an iPod Touch 4g, by the way.

6. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    i reviewed it 1 page back.

7. Bad Hanson

Apr 13, 2009
    Somnambulist
    The Westcountry UK
    #207 Bad Hanson, Dec 22, 2010
    Thanks both SkyMuffin and Cilo. SM I have an iPhone 4, I think the reviiwer had one too. Cilo I read your comment/review but it did not mention framerate specifically. I watched the short vid a few pages back which looked pretty jerky. I've bought so many great games - I could do with this or without it if you know what I mean. Thanks both!

8. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Same for me -- you can tell by looking at the smoothly scrolling sky reflected on the water areas in this version. Mine is nowhere near as jerky as what we saw in chickdigger's video.

It should be noted that most "bad controls" complaints can be traced to poor framerates.

9. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    #209 Cilo, Dec 22, 2010
    It runs fine, no herky jerky motions at all. It's hard to tell with everyone though, I do a hard reset once I install certain games. I also don't jailbreak, clear out the multitask bar, and turn off mail push, which I think interferes with a lot of apps if it's pushing every 10-20minutes. I haven't had many problems with most big name games.

10. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

I can't speak for anyone else, but in my case, it's simply a matter of having too many games and not enough time to play them. With all the holiday releases, playing a port of decades old game, no matter how good a port, just isn't a priority.

11. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I hear you. If it was any other game I'd feel the same way, unfortunately Secret of Mana kicked a lot of unfinished games I had collecting dust to the curb - mainly because I knew it was a complete piece.

Lately I've also been pretty critical about my downloads for the same reason, not enough time. Out of the holiday season, I bought only Lara Croft, Secret of Mana, and broke down and picked up Crimson Gem Saga since it's at 50% off right now and I love Atlus Rpgs. That should keep me occupied till FF Tactics/Chrono Trigger comes out?

12. chickdigger802

chickdigger802 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA
  13. nall

nall Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2008
    The original game had what was essentially MIDI audio, but iOS doesn't natively support that.

If you decompress it, the audio in the game is 62.6MB.

14. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    The game didn't look crisp on a TV set either, and it certainly doesn't look crisp on a computer screen. I believe I said "vivid," not "crisp," and I stand by it. It also plays a lot smoother on my iPhone 4 than it did on your video. Perhaps you should had your iPhone checked ;).

15. Metalhead980

Metalhead980 Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2010
    I think people are just being overlly critical of what essentially is a direct Snes port of a classic action J-Rpg. They don't need to add in extra features because it's on a new platform. Just be happy that we have access to the game (legally) on our devices. Games like Mana, FF, Phantasy Star II & others shouldnt be put under a microscope in my opinion we should just be happy we have them.

16. nonverbalist

nonverbalist Member

Dec 13, 2010
    I am new to this game. (Yes, that happens, even with my 29 years and quite some retro gaming experience.) But I fell in love in the very first second. That is some magic, for example Gamevil games never even come close to. Just pure charm and heart. Will be my Christmas free time filler, for sure.

17. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

Well if you like spending money on crappy, half-assed ports, that's fine-some of us don't like wasting our money.

18. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Scott, I'm usually with you, but you are in no position to affirm that this is a crappy half-ass port.

19. Bad Hanson

Apr 13, 2009
    Somnambulist
    The Westcountry UK
    I don't want to put words in Scott's mouth SZ but I read it to mean he was being more general and mainly referencing the other games' lack of optimisation for the ios, that there are possibly other better games on the store for less money. That the big dev's putting out these could do better in some cases. But then again look at Nintendo...they get away with it generation after generation. :)

20. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    It's a matter of opinion - I don't think it is crappy and I don't think it was a waste of money at all. Nor do I think it is half-assed. I am happy it is ported and I am really happy it stayed true to the original. This statement seemed out of character for you, to be honest.

Choice - it's what makes the appstore go 'round.