Universal Seashine - Can you survive the abyss?

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by pated, Oct 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    The swiping is great! Especially if its small swipes, it gives the feeling of the small sudden movements that the little creature makes to move itself! beutiful as always. but i suggest you dont delay too much, because i saw a couple of games those past months who "borrowed" your idea. of course they looked crappy and slapsticked together, but... You know.

all the best for a prompt release, it looks like a wonderful first entry to the appstore!

2. Back2funk

Back2funk Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2010
    England
    This looks absolutely beautiful!!

You take all the time you need to perfect this baby.... It looks like it will be worth the wait :)

3. secredut

secredut Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2015
    It's really cool looking! Great job!

4. pated

pated Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Game maker
    Paris
    Thank you all!

@AppUnwrapper @ramzarules - Small swipes!
    You figured it out ramzarules. It fits perfectly with the movement of the little jelly. Of all the types tested, it was the most appreciated and the most natural. :)
    @AppUnwrapper - The ergonomics of a tap only control scheme were not that great. You had to tap all over the screen, it was hard work and your hand was covering big parts of the screen way too often, thus limiting visibility. :(
    With the small swipes system, you swipe anywhere on the screen, on the same spot or not, and maintain the best visibility!

Thanks again for the feedback all of you guys gave me concerning the use of tilt controls. That's a mistake I won't repeat. :)

5. pated

pated Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Game maker
    Paris
    Hello everyone!

Here's a gif to show you the new controls with real human hands from 4 to 65 years old. Yes, the game is multigenerational. :)

[​IMG]

6. ramzarules

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    hehe, look at the little jellyfish go! :)

I notice there is some slight lag between the swipe and the jellyfish movement though. Will it be like this or is it in developing stages?

7. Honestly, I see that and it looks annoying to be swiping so madly like that. I know I probably sound all whiny, but games that have you constantly swiping just to move a tiny bit further in a direction can be physically bothersome. Any reason why you can't allow a control scheme that lets you keep your finger on the screen? The game looks stunning, but annoying to play.

8. pated

pated Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Game maker
    Paris
    Hey there :)

There is no lag at all when you play! I should have selected better segments. Haha.

What appears like lag is just the person swiping too early or making really looooong swipes.
    Since the input is validated only when the swipe is finished, the long swipe seems laggy. But the 2nd kid got it perfectly right!

I'll upload a second (better) gif tomorrow. ;)

9. pated

pated Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Game maker
    Paris
    Hi!

I understand the controls seem to ask a lot of efforts when you see people using the index finger like in this gif, but most testers use the thumb. You really don't need to move the thumb that much! It's almost like taping!

Keeping a finger on the screen like with a joystick didn't match the behavior of our creature and wasn't as apreciated as this new control scheme!

But it is very hard to please everyone and I'm sorry if the controls don't fit you. :(

Stay tuned for a second gif showing how effortless it is. :)

10. I'm not completely against swiping -- but it seems from the gif like he doesn't move much with each swipe. That's where it looks like it would get annoying. Constantly swiping just to move him an inch. Will reserve judgment till I see more, though. :)

11. ramzarules

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    Pated's right, if you notice in the gif there is a hand (probably young) that barely swipes with the thumb, and the creature goes. I feel the small, repsonsive swipes are very intuitive for controlling the jellyfish as it gets you in the same motion rythm as the actual jellyfish (flop flop flop) :)

Waiting to see a better one then, with no lag and fast responsive swipes :)

12. pated

pated Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Game maker
    Paris
    Hey!

Sorry for the delay, I had to solve some issues but I didn't forget you!
    Here are 4 more gifs to show you the actual controls. Let me know what you think! :)

(Wait for the gifs to load up, it might take a few seconds depending on your connection)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Best.

13. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    I'm with AppUnwrapper here. I'd very much prefer being able to drag a finger to change direction (more like a joystick) and have the jellyfish do his thing rather than having a 1:1 correspondence between swipes and movement

14. ramzarules

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    I like how it looks like it controls in the gifs :) I was one of the first to vote for a vstick (see previous pages) but i think this control is very intuitive. Will you add both schemes, Pated?

15. squashy

squashy Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    *burp*
    The Garden of Sinners
    Very interesting control scheme! I'm not sure if it will be to everyone's liking, but I think it will help enrich the atmosphere of the game very much! :)

16. meejahor

meejahor Member

Oct 5, 2014
    News photographer
    Pated I love what you're doing with this game! Universal Sunshine, along with Submerged, are the two games that I'm most looking forward to this year. (Coincidence that they're both water-based!)

17. pated

pated Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Game maker
    Paris
    Hello everyone!

I still hope you'll give it a try! You really have to try it to know how natural it feels! :)
    The joystick was just sooo counterintuitive for a touch screen!

Thanks Ramza. :) I really want to keep things as simple as possible in my games so there won't be any secondary control scheme in Seahine after all! That's the official final decision (for now). :p

Thank you! You know how impossible it is to please everyone. If most people like it then I'm happy. ;)

Thank you good sir! Much appreciated! However the name of the game is simply "Seashine", haha. ;)

18. squashy

squashy Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    *burp*
    The Garden of Sinners
    Any updates for us? :p

19. pated

pated Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Game maker
    Paris
    Sure! :)

I'm stuck in the polishing part and I'm really hesitating to release the game just before the summer holidays... It might not be the best time of the year to release something.

Anyway, here's some stuff to look at!

During the past weeks I've integrated an automatic death screenshot functionality. You can share it to show your score and the way you died. Some examples:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here's a preview of the GUI with the game over screen:
    [​IMG]

:)

20. stephenk

stephenk Well-Known Member

May 11, 2015
    I have very good feeling about this game.The graphics and music works together in a great way.