Universal Seashine - Can you survive the abyss?

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by pated, Oct 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pated

pated Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Game maker
    Paris
    #1 pated, Oct 20, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2015

[​IMG]

UPDATE - Release date: August 23, 2015
    Feel free to join the Beta here.

OFFICIAL WEBSITE | TWITTER | FACEBOOK

Hey there!

After being a bit too shy to show my own work considering the awesome things we can see around here, it's time for me to reveal my very first game (still in development). Let me present you Seashine, a poetic journey into the abyss.

Seashine lets you play as a fragile creature struggling to maintain an ever fading light in the darkness of the deep ocean caves. The game is a poetic, yet oppressive journey into the deeps.
    Built to be an experience before all, Seashine mixes exploration, reflection, and survival.

In a perpetual search for light, the player will have to hunt and find rare light sources to live a few more minutes while avoiding the many dangers of this silent underworld - from the exotic creatures looming in the dark to the natural and supernatural obstacles.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'll be happy to answer your questions if you have any.

OFFICIAL WEBSITE | TWITTER | FACEBOOK

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Graphics look amazing. How do you control the jellyfish creature ?

3. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Looks awesome! Don't wanna wait that long, though!

4. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Jaw dropping beauty! How much will it cost? I can't wait!!!

5. TheGreatEscaper

TheGreatEscaper Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Looks stunning! I'll be keeping an eye on this one... Graphics are absolutely beautiful!

6. pated

pated Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Game maker
    Paris
    Thank you so much guys.

@psj3809: The game uses a smooth one-finger tilt-and-tap control scheme. I like simplicity.

@coolpepper43: It won't cost anything (and - let me reassure you - it won't be an intrusive free-to-play either).
    However the PC/Mac version (if there is one, needs confirmation) will cost something! :)

7. dreadnok

dreadnok Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum I'm ou
    Looks great

8. Pipipitchu

Pipipitchu Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    #8 Pipipitchu, Oct 21, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
    :(

F2P with consumable IAPs or unlock IAP? It looks great, definitely not a game for Clash of Clans' or Candy Crush's audience. Why F2P?

And I think you should consider to include alternative controls with a virtual stick and a button. Many people don't like tilt controles and some people give up playing a game if it has tilt controls.

9. pated

pated Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Game maker
    Paris
    Thank you both!

Consumable IAPs keeping you safe for a few seconds if you're a bit too anxious or scared.
    It was really a hard choice for me to choose between pay-to-play or free-to-play for a first game. But the soft F2P model won the battle for Seashine.
    It allows me to reach the maximum number of souls, sure, but it also allows me to keep adding content and levels on a regular basis and still be sustainable.
    There is so much to explore in this secret underworld, I don't think I want to stop yet.

You're totally right! I'm fully aware of that since I'm one of these gamers. ;) I usually switch to joystick.
    I'm very satisfied with the tilt controls atm but I've also been testing secondary controls for the last two months. I'm not sure if I'll keep a 2nd control mode yet. If I don't put it on V1.0 I'll keep it ready for the first update in case control mode 1 is really problematic to some people.

10. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    Eagerly waiting for this beautiful game, and i second the joystick control! ~i hate tilt only...

11. pated

pated Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Game maker
    Paris
    Thank you Ramzarules! Looks like joystick controls will be available on V1.0. :)

12. SuminellStudios

SuminellStudios Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2014
    What a beautiful looking game! Well done!

Suminell.

13. Pipipitchu

Pipipitchu Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    If you want to reach as many people as possible the game needs an alternative control. Check any Tilt to Live game's thread. There are a lot of moaning about tilt controls even tough it's just perfect there.

Including it in an update may be too late. The peak of attention and downloads will be the release. A smaller amount of people will hear about the update.

14. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    Yay!

Yay for joystick controls! :D And i think you are doing right, for a first time release a very soft F2P model is great (look at Deep Loot) , you get the most audience showcasing what you can do. After people get to know you and await your next game, you can make it premium because they know they will spend some money for a quality game assured! (at least that's what i would do)

15. Lavender

Lavender Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    I am amazed by the surreal beauty of this game. (Based on the video)
    I am one of those that prefer not to use the tilt control. For some reason, sometimes tilt games feel like they are operating themselves or they are just moving left right, left right....
    Because I love how the game looks, I am excited to try it. Maybe 'tilt' will win me over this time.

16. Add me to the list of players who despises tilt controls. I'll deal with them if I have to for a *portion* of a game, but avoid pretty much any games that are tilt control through and through.
    I would check this game out no matter what because it looks (and sounds) gorgeous. But I hope you do include alternate controls so I'm more likely to stick with it. :)

17. pated

pated Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Game maker
    Paris
    Thanks all. :)

Pipipitchu, great advice, much appreciated. You guys convinced me!
    I'm still making tests to decide between a joystick and a few finger-only type controls. I'm not fond of virtual joysticks/pads to be honest, it kills the purpose of having a touch screen.

But at the same time, I remember how some people disliked the controls in Smash Cops and prefered the joystick. I don't want to have 3 different control modes to satisfy everybody so the virtual joystick might be the winner already. :rolleyes:

@ramzarules: Exactly. Seashine is my way to say "Hello world".

18. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    I think relative touch controls would work well for this game

19. pated

pated Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Game maker
    Paris
    That's the idea. :) I'm going to ask my testers to choose between different types I experimented vs a joystick.

20. pated

pated Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Game maker
    Paris
    You might find interesting remains. :)

[​IMG]