Universal Seashine (by Pated)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Sep 2, 2015.

1. freakernet

freakernet Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2015
    Wow the game is looking great, really beautiful and really cool art concept, but the controls are horrible !
    please consider to polish it little bit and you will have really big HIt

2. shiny

shiny Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2015
    Agree beautifull game, bad controls
    but i still play it :)

3. pated

pated Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Game maker
    Paris
    Hey everyone,

Thanks Billy, you make a very good point. I tend to forget the data issue. So the star doubler will disable the rare static ads and activate an option to enable or disable the rewarded videos (automatically off after buying the star doubler IAP).

@redribbon: Thank you for the gameplay video!

Yes. Like the other abilities it only triggers when using a star. It will instantly de-poison your jelly.

Thank you!
    Have you tried my recommendations from last pages? Try to do very small swipes, on the lower part of the screen. Most people finding the controls horrible just don't know how tu use them efficiently. That's clearly a mistake on my side. The tutorial was way too minimalistic on that part. Fixed it for the next update.
    I think I'll add an additional tap control mode to satisfy the players having difficulties with the swipe even after the new tutorial hints.

4. Sponggy

Sponggy Active Member

Jul 11, 2015
    Dev this is a question for you
    I am an App Store explorer and investigator, i was discovered for something pretty interesting and maybe can you help me to solve that from your experience
    I was noticed that games who get featured by Apple, and able to be at the top 10 games category, if they aren't belong to the big name company, they fell pretty hard when the feature ends!
    So if we take Seashine for example all the feature time yours game was at the top 10 games category, when feature ends, you crushed to the under 400 us (appannie)
    So what happened ? (if it not rude, and you guys can shre and put some light about how the app stroe works )
    Is the game wasn't viral enough ?
    Is it because you don't have a marketing plan? or the marketing plan not strong enough to fight the "big companies"

Is the small dev studios and indies, has any chane in this at all ?

5. pated

pated Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Game maker
    Paris
    #45 pated, Sep 16, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
    Hi Sponggy,

I suppose that's exactly what happens to almost every indie game title after the feature ends. It takes millions of dollars a year to rival (and maintain) the level of exposure offered by an App Store feature.
    The only way to succeed if you don't have this marketing power is with virality. But the receipe for virality is written nowhere.

I'm not looking to "fight" the big companies. I don't think we should oppose indies vs big companies (in most cases).
    Big companies are factories with lots of employees and lots of costs. They need to produce $$$ fast to be cost effective.
    I'm working on my own. I did and still do everything myself, from the development to the marketing. I have extremely low running costs and I have all the time in the world to develop my games.

There's really no point for me to waste money and time into huge marketing efforts to stay in the top 100. I'm earning a living with Seashine and it's also allowing me to keep working on updates and on my next games. I'm not greedy enough to ask for more, and I hope most indies think the same.

All the best!

6. Hakuryuu

Hakuryuu Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2014
    So, when's the next update coming ?

7. mrboombastic

mrboombastic Member

Mar 30, 2015
    Boston
    I've tried it recently. I would say, it's challenging and relaxing at the same time .. good job!

8. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    I hope to see currency collecting and upgrade system added one day. Use pay $10 for that game . Potential in this , I see

9. pated

pated Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Game maker
    Paris
    Hello everyone,

Sorry, I resumed the work on Seashine only recently after a well deserved break (and some sort of burn out :( ).

@Hakuryuu : The next update is coming tomorrow on iOS.
    I worked on the difficulty level (much easier now at the beginning), added two new abilities (stun and magnet), added a star doubler IAP (also removes ads), improved the UI, corrected a few bugs (also the anoying issue when everything goes dark, sorry for that).
    Also, I have introduced a slot system for the unlockable abilities. You can now only use 3 abilities per game. You have to select your combo before starting!

I gave up on the idea of releasing a big update with more creatures and environments, way too much work. Those will come in the next one.

By the way, to all beta testers, I transfered Seashine to a new account on iTunes. I'll send you new invitations soon for the next "fauna" update. I'm also gonna send promo codes for the star doubler IAP to all of you who helped me test Seashine (still have to figure out how though).

@mrboombastic : Thanks!

@Jayg2015 : That's the path I'm taking in the next "fauna" update (probably coming in january). I hope you'll like it. :) Thanks again for all your feedback.

Stay tuned ;)

10. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Hope you're well after your little "burnout". Nice to see an update, which btw definitely makes the game easier at the beginning. I had a burnout myself, but only of playing your game "to death". Proudly still in the top 25 on the board, but this might change due to this update and the new powerups. Something to play towards again. Thanks pated!

11. 7lilwhitewolf7

7lilwhitewolf7 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Male
    Not hear on earth
    Georgia,Cleveland Ohio,Texas,New York
    Also well wishes to you and thank you for the Awesome update. Your creation iz very magical

12. pated

pated Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Game maker
    Paris
    Thank you so much for your support, guys. I'll keep doing my best to improve the game and release new content frequently.

Here's the plan for now:
    Version 1.0.3 (aka the Aquarium Update) will bring a lot more fauna and some new plants.
    Version 1.0.4 (aka the Discovery Update) will be focused on improving the exploration aspect of the game.

Each update will come with at least 2 new abilities. The "communication" (interact with some plants and creatures) and the "sonar" abilities should be next. :)

13. Lavender

Lavender Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    Love this game. It is like finding a hidden treasure in the iTunes/Apple sea..... :)
    The flow is very nice. And those teethy, large fish that appear behind you are fun and ethereal. Creepy too! :)There's a little bit of a fun realism to this awesome underwater adventure.
    I really enjoy playing with the lights off. Uuoohh....... (Ghost noise he he)
    I would love to see a choice of controls: a virtual d-pad or joystick, or the finger swiping that is there now.
    Creative and unique, Seashine is a testament to the developers talent.

14. pated

pated Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Game maker
    Paris
    Happy new year 2016 everyone!

Thank you so much Lavender. Your words go right to my heart!

I am working on update 1.0.3 (the Aquarium update) since a couple of weeks. Sadly I was delayed by the Android update 1.0.2 (many unexpected issues - I had to simplify the build). So update 1.0.3 will not be released as fast as I wanted.
    I'm targeting the end of February but I'm not sure I can make it. I'll let you know as soon as I set a safe release date.

I'll send the new Seashine iOS beta invitations when I can put a stable build 1.0.3 on iTunes.
    If anyone wants to join the beta testers feel free to complete this form: http://seashinegame.com/beta/
    It's never too late. :)

I'll be at Casual Connect 2016 in Amsterdam so if you happen to go there come say hello!

All the best!

15. 7lilwhitewolf7

Feb 1, 2012
    Male
    Not hear on earth
    Well would ya look at this update. matta of fact, don't look at it , go play it!

16. pated

pated Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Game maker
    Paris
    Thanks 7lilwhitewolf7 :)

I've been working hard for the past few months to add more depth to the game. Health issues forced me to stop development at the beginning of the year but I'm resuming my plans to work on Seashine on the long term with rich monthly updates.

I've unleashed new creatures in last thursday's update. Here's a quick preview:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I've also been working on a new discovery system, it's already available in 1.0.6:

[​IMG]

It's just a start. More discoveries are coming in the next updates. I'm going to add tabs for types of discoveries (like types of creatures, plants, wrecks, weird objects).
    I'm also adding a creature unlocking system in the September 8 update. You'll have to find all fragments of some creatures to unlock them.

There is a lot of background work behind the last 3 updates that you can't see as a player but it's actually a huge step forward for the game as it is simplifying content creation and implementation on my side. With all the tools I have coded I can finally hold that monthly update rate and even work on my next titles at the same time.

Let me know what you guys think of the recent additions. :)

17. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    What happened to this? I never got an invite to the new betas. Anyways, the new updates are out. Downloading now...

18. pated

pated Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Game maker
    Paris
    Hi coolpepper. I changed my workflow shortly after that. Since I'm working on monthly updates now it's taking too much time to beta test each update. Since the game is stable I'm just testing updates with a small closed circle (family and friends).

Regarding the giveaways for the early beta testers, I realized it was impossible to give promo codes for IAP on iOS and required special coding on Android. I'm planning to implement my own giveaway system for Seashine and my next games but I've been really busy focusing on content!

I'll send you guys an e-mail with instructions as soon as the giveaway feature is implemented.

19. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Thank you and thanks for the updates!

20. 7lilwhitewolf7

Feb 1, 2012
    Male
    Not hear on earth
    ^ 4realz!
    Thankz 4 the heads up on Everyplay. This iz one game that needs to be recorded & shared. Keep up the Awesome heArtwork