Universal Seashine (by Pated)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Sep 2, 2015.

1. caanerud

caanerud Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2011
    I hate to sound lazy, but this game is a lot of work. So much constant swiping. It does feel pretty good when you get into a nice, smooth groove. And it helps that it's gorgeous.

Dat icon though. Dev you need to change that hideous thing.

2. pated

pated Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Game maker
    Paris
    Hi guys,

Thanks for your feedback!

Try to do smaller swipes. Really, if you get tired of the swiping it's because your swipes are too long! You can do very small swipes and it's almost the same as tapping.

Why I didn't use a "move in direction of tap" type of control: Taping everywhere on the screen is a lot more work and having your hand over the zone of focus really doesn't help with visibility. Also, tablet users would have had to make such big moves to reach the other side of the screen.

Why I didn't use a virtual joystick: Because it's a game for touch devices and totally counter intuitive.

Why I used this swipe control scheme: Because it's intuitive. It works very well with the way the jelly moves. It does not cause any visibility issue since you can swipe anywhere on the screen (I highly recommend the bottom of the screen). And you can do very small swipes that require almost no aditional efforts compared to tapping the same spot.

I really think the controls are good if you take some time to learn. I'm still going to tweak them to bring a better experience but I'll never add any other control scheme like a virtual joystick, I'm sorry!

I had to remove the cloud saving due to many incompatibility issues with native plug-ins. I'm working hard to put it back in the next update. So sorry! Oh, and a star doubler will be available as IAP in the next update. :)

Thanks Qwertz. Annoying issue I'm trying to fix atm. It should automatically connect to GC but it takes a lot of time to do so. Are you sure it's not a matter of time? Your device does not even connect to GC after a few minutes?

Waiting for more feedback! Guys, don't hesitate if you have a wishlist of things you would like to see in the game.

New creatures, abilities, and game modes (with the awaited zen mode) will be available in the next update.

Thanks! Back to work.

3. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    I came here to say that i was enjoying it but it is too stressful to really enjoy the atmoshpere. I would like it to be more about exploration and less about the timer running out. Is this the "zen mode" you are referring to?

Also, star doubler and abilities/ upgrades along with the exploration mode would make me purchase it.

4. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    I've really tried to give it a good try. I've played for over an hour. The constant swiping is just killing me. I don't know why. It is a beautiful game. I'll try again. The entire time I'm begging why there isn't an option for a virtual analog stick. Would it be hard to add it as an option?

I got so frustrated I deleted the game but I'll retry it one more time. I'll try the smaller swipes. I always believe if a dev can take the time to write a post like the above post and care that much then I should really give it my best.

Billy

5. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

#25 Anotherkellydown, Sep 7, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
    I've been enjoying this quite a bit! The atmosphere is surprisingly beautiful for how dark it is. Great attention to detail with the schools of fish in the foreground, bubbles quickly rising to the surface, etc. I keep discovering new things when I play. I was surprised to come across a deep sea submersible that seemed interested in me, following my movements and shining its lights on me.

Collecting the little glowing fish to keep your stamina up is tense and rewarding. The controls are very intuitive and responsive for me. I think it would be nice if collecting the stars on the sea walls would fill some stamina too, though.

Speaking of stars, I have saved enough to buy the antidote, but is this a one-time use item? If so, that's a lot of collecting for a consumable item. And are the speed boost and shockwave also one-time use items? I'm not sure if it would change the game too much, but having these as permanent upgrades would be nice, and taking that a little further, the ability to upgrade those boosts would be great.

The only IAP I have noticed were for buying more stars. I'm not sure if it was suggested, but I would buy a star doubler that would also remove ads (which are very infrequent, and only pop-up after a run) to support further development costs for Seashine.

I think an adventure mode with different colorful locations, treasures, story, etc. would be totally awesome. Where you could only die from taking damage (no stamina meter). You could really go nuts on expanding this beauty if you felt it was worth the time and effort, or maybe that could be a whole different app for another time.

I ran into a couple of seemingly impossible to escape situations, one of which is where the poisonous mushrooms were completely blocking my way forward. I may have missed something though, or could be that they are only passable using the antidote.

These are just some thoughts/suggestions. Keep up the good work, Pated. Here's to hoping we see this game do very well, and further expansions will come along in the future.

6. ahsanmahmood20

Aug 5, 2015
    Deep in Ocean :)

The game "Seashine" drives me crazy with its stunning visuals, also the well planned gameplay excites me when playing the game.
    My deepest thanks to the developer for making such a stunner. All the best :D

7. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    #27 Qwertz555, Sep 7, 2015
    All 3 powerups are permanent!

Don't buy the Antidote (tip from Pated), it won't help you too much...yet.
    Go for the speed boost first.
    Sometimes you might run into a dead-end, and then it helps to go back quickly. It also helps to escape a fast shark, even to pass him in the opposite direction (those seemingly impossible situations).

A star doubler is coming, due to Pated.

I've seen that submarine only four times (even after a lot of testing). Stay in the light, move slowly to the next bypass and watch your stamina.

Though i bought the $3 iap for support, i finally unlocked the shockwave. Helpful when the difficulty/enemies ramps up, but i'm glad i went for the speed boost first.

Pated, i had your app opened for about ten minutes and no GC log-in. I had to do it manually again. Maybe it's only on my 5s, 8.4.1

Edit: maybe a good tip...
    the stamina powerup in the stone-fall, only push it up to close the gap, never down

8. Anotherkellydown

Thanks, Qwertz!

I saved up and bought the speed boost, but now I can't seem to activate it. I double tapped on the screen but that only seemed to refill my stamina, not increase my speed. I also tried touching the star in the upper right, but that did the same thing as far as I could tell.

Think I know the location you're referring to, but I don't understand what you mean...

9. squashy

squashy Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    *burp*
    The Garden of Sinners
    Mmm, the game is indeed beautiful. Gameplay is not as calming as the graphics though, as the matter of fact, sometimes it feels quite stressful. Most of the predators are annoyingly persistent and their lairs are perfect for trapping you, yet you don't have any countermeasures other than fleeing. Maybe the dev intended it to be this way, but boy, it's hard to make a "high" score in this game.

10. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    #30 Qwertz555, Sep 7, 2015
    The speed boost (plus it gives stamina) glows blue-ish around the jelly and is best seen/felt against very fast enemies. It definitely could (should) be a bit longer in duration, imho.

Stone-fall
    Some stones ain't stones, watch closely, and hit them (seashells, i guess) Sometimes you have to turn them around, or you go around to touch them from the other side

11. Anotherkellydown

So I am using it. Ok, thanks!

I know what you mean now =)

12. fabianb

fabianb Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    This!!! Oh yes :))

13. Hakuryuu

Hakuryuu Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Can we still become a beta tester ? I'm really enjoying Seashine and would be pleased to be a beta tester for the game (btw I'm french too, and this is so good to see a french dev making a such beautiful game !)

14. pated

pated Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Game maker
    Paris
    Hi everyone,

Thanks for the feedback!

@ramzarules: After reading all the comments in the App Store and in Google Play, these are the two most requested game modes:
    An exploration mode with no timer and the score is the amount of special items you find.
    A zen mode with no timer and no score, just to chill out.
    I guess you guys want an exploration mode way before a zen mode so I'm focusing my energy on the exploration aspect for now.
    Regarding the star doubler, it's been added today to the dev build!
    More upgrades are also coming in the next update.

@Billy: Thanks. Please let me know if the smaller swipes are still a no go for you.
    And sorry but I won't be adding a virtual joystick to Seashine. I can't stand the idea of a joystick on a touch device. :S
    I think the problem with the current controls is that there is nothing in the game telling the player how to use them efficiently. I was surprised that most people start by dragging the jelly (so with the finger over or in front of the jelly) instead of pushing the jelly (with the fingers behind the jelly for max visibility). A lot of players also tend to do very long swipes at a very fast rate which is completly useless and exhausting. I have to work on something in the tutorial or elsewhere to show how to use the crontrols efficiently!

@Anotherkellydown: Thank you!

I ended up deciding that the stars on the walls would not give a boost of light when you collect them since they already give you half a bar when you use them. I also like the idea of going kamikaze just to collect a small group of stars at the end of a tunnel.

As Qwertz said, all the abilities are permanent! A one time use would have been sooo hard! Haha. And yes, you shouldn't unlock antidote as a first ability as it's only useful against the rare mushrooms. It will be a lot more useful in the next update however, with more poisonous creatures and plants.

Regarding the ad remover IAP, I'm still hesitating on that. I've read that it's not a great deal if I want to keep updating the game on a very long run. I'll probably reduce the ads for anyone buying an IAP but not remove them entirely!

Sorry for the rare situations where it seems really hard/impossible to survive. I still need to add a lot of rules to prevent such events. Being stuck by a shark blocking an exit is one of these issues. Sadly as most of you know I do everything alone and there are so many possibilities with a randomly generated level, it's a huge task. Please be patient and let me know when you find one of these situations! Thanks!

@ahsanmahmood20: My deepest thanks for your comment and for trying the game!

@Qwertz: Thanks for your continuing support and feedback!
    The submarine should appear more often in the next update. And you're right, staying in front of it will stop the light from fading out. :)

This GC connect issue is very weird. I do connect automatically after 1 min max even on an iPhone 4. Anyone else having this issue?

The speed boost actually lasts 5 seconds. How long do you think it should last without being too easy? :)

@squashy: You'll be able to hide inside objects or anemones in the next update (just like in Assasin's Creed, but with a jelly). Also, some of the new abilities might help. For instance, you'll be able to stun small predators or communicate with plants or fishes to trigger a special action.

@Hakuryuu: Merci! Yes, there's still a lot of room for beta testers on iOS. If you want to be part of it just send me a private message. However the next build isn't available to the beta testers yet. You'll have to wait a little!

All the best,
    Pated

15. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Pated,

I would purchase an ad removal iap and a star doubler. The only ads I will tolerate are ads that have rewards and are not forced. Ads use MY data. data is not cheap. Not all of us have unlimited. In the long run I'm paying more to play a game by having forced ads than if I purchased it. I don't mind paying for a game if I enjoy it. A developer deserves to be paid and paid well. I just cannot keep paying and paying. If you put an ad removal iap you make guaranteed money from me. If you keep the non forced ads with rewards of stars I would view them when on wifi. You win and I win. Do you see what I'm saying?

The smaller swipes do make a difference btw.

Thanks for talking and interacting with the community here. I do appreciate that.

Billy

16. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
  17. Hakuryuu

Hakuryuu Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2014
    #37 Hakuryuu, Sep 8, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
    Btw how to unlock the different abilities ? Are they available in the current iOS version ?

edit : nevermind I found it :p

18. Anotherkellydown

[​IMG]

[thread=270066][​IMG][/thread] [thread=270064][​IMG][/thread] [thread=270035][​IMG][/thread] [thread=270098][​IMG][/thread] [thread=270034][​IMG][/thread] [thread=270042][​IMG][/thread] [thread=270033][​IMG][/thread]

Seashine

[​IMG]

is one of the nominees for

Touch Arcade Forums' Game Of The Week

Sept 3rd, 2015

VOTE HERE

***PLEASE NOTE***

1) Developers, publishing partners, or affiliates cannot vote for their own games. If your game is in the poll, you can't vote for it. You are free to ask TA forum posters in your game release thread to vote for your game... but please don't post multiple messages about it.
    2) This voting is for TA members with some activity. If you have to ask someone to create a new account to vote, you're doing it wrong.
    3) Suspect votes may be void.

Credit to AndyC83 for GotW logo & post layout

19. squashy

Jan 21, 2013
    *burp*
    The Garden of Sinners
    Hmm, is the antidote really working? I touched some mushroom and it seemed I still got poisoned.

Also I found a few "rooms" with 2 small predators (the fish with big eyes), is that by design? Seems a bit tiring to shake off both of them. Sometimes even the giant fish room features 2 of them, which feels impossible to escape @@

20. squashy

Jan 21, 2013
    *burp*
    The Garden of Sinners
    Okay, I notice an achievement states that you can trick the piranhas in a giant fish room to get eaten by the monster. Interesting, guess I should keep that in mind next time I encounter such a room. Also just made a new high score, 63 :)