Universal Seabeard - (by Backflip Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Oct 24, 2014.

1. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Ugh... This game. I want to love it so much, but it wants me to hate it, so so badly.

Let me start with some little things:
    -Would be nice if we could do tap,hold, and drag to move

-she should say "Good thing" here, not good job

[​IMG]

Alright, now to the major part.

This game just doesn't work. It's monetization scheme feels inappropriate. Making a very Nintendo-inspired game that has gross F2P elements just flat out does not work.

The game's charm is just completely gutted by the freemium stuff. Every time I take a quest and I'm told to go to another island, I don't look forward to it. I don't want to travel to the other areas and enjoy the world. I just think about the game plotting against me so I run out of energy.

And quite frankly I'll never buy any of the ridiculously expensive costumes unless the game forces me to blow my cash on them again.

I understand that F2P gives you a far better chance of making a profit, but please, I beg of you, at least add a Premium IAP, I'll pay $8 easily. It's insulting the way it is right now, as if it's saying I'm stupid to be looking for a pure experience like this on iOS. I might as well just boot up zelda or animal crossing on my 3DS than to fight to have to enjoy this.

2. Rosso

Rosso Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Totally agree with what you are saying. 1 and 2 would be acceptable for me. 3 not really, but that is the very least that must be done - I like PLAYING games and when a game forbids me to play (by making me spend crazy, endless sums of cash), then I am gone, no matter how good the game is. 4 is a nice idea, but on top of it all (look at the "Best Fiends" energy system for instance. There, you can constantly gain bigger cap by luck (lottery style) and also you can raise it by grinding the hell out of it).

If the game stays even close to what it is now regarding timers and espec. Energy, I am a lost customer, who would be very happy to buy the "entire package" for 15-20 bucks, no question.

Hope the devs think long and hard about the currently really cruel system. Compared to other f2p games (uffff...), this is VERY expensive. VERY.

Costumes, furniture, sell all that, but let us play when we want to play...

Thanks to the team for this (potential) gem!

3. Rosso

Rosso Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Who cant get frustrated with THAT, man?! ;)

Worms you can find under bushes. I think both the ones with and without red berries on them, but I am not 100% sure there.

Cheers

4. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    #85 ste86uk, Oct 26, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
    So far I agree about the energy, it runs out extremely quickly and my inventory is always full.

It's taking me forever to progress waiting to find the blue apple or blueberry or whatever along with trying to get that food stall. The game seems really really slow....I want to try and give it more chance but it just wants me to buy energy and buy pearls constantly just to be able to move or hold a few things.

I remember a screenshot saying live life at your own pace, that should really be removed, either remove that or remove the energy system. Crafting tuners ect are fine but not the energy system, also fix the super slow progress, there's absolutely nothing to do.

5. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet

I know can I just pay 5$ for unlimited bag space instead of 50 pearls? I can't even find 1 pearl! Everything is so expensive can I pay 5$ more for unlimited coins? Come on but other wise this would have been an amazing game

6. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    50 pearls for a bigger bag? Hell no.

I like that you can leave messages on your friends' islands

7. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    This game does have tons of balance issues before it feels less of a chores, but I think you are a little overboard some areas...

I mostly disagree with the fishing. Fishing is super easy, I think I have caught 20 fish and snapped the line maybe 3 times...

Medium games are still pretty easy, the only one I struggle wit is target practice cause the ####in gnomes move in front of the targets and you have no choice but to wait and lose when your target disappears.

8. Talxn

Talxn Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2012
    I wonder if a reason for all the timers was to keep people from moving through the content too fast. I finally built a house for the vegetable seller and that took forever. I have yet to engage in any combat. That could be days away.

If you look at Animal Crossing, even if people rushed through to unlock everything, people still play this game till this day just customizing their towns.

I'd like to see removal of the travel timers and more options to customizing our islands.

9. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    Yeah I wondered that myself but seriously as it stands the game is Play 15 minutes / wait hour and a half to replenish energy / repeat.

If this game didnt have as much potential as it does, it would be deleted faster than Oprah on a baked ham.

Vegetable seller? Do you mean food seller or is there an actual vegetable seller?

I JUST finished the food stall and was like CMON already with the combat! I wanna go explore!

10. Talxn

Talxn Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2012
    Haha yeah I meant food stall, I couldn't remember what the game called it. The person I can see fruit and vegetables to :)

11. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    Sounds like we are at about the same place. Finding a blue apple took me forever. Combat has to be soon right? RIGHT?? lol

12. PeteOzzy

PeteOzzy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    That's actually a correct phrase, at least in the UK. It means exactly the same thing as your suggestion but it might still be worth changing if it's seeming a little jarring to others.

OT: I'm just about to dive in for my first proper play of this, as a huge Animal Crossing/Harvest Moon/Rune Factory fan. I'm setting my expectations a little lower but then I'm not sure Seabeard ever had a fair shot - it's been anticipated so long that it's nearly mythical. I'm not a hater of timers and other elements per se but I'd also be a massive supporter of a premium option. I can't see much of a downside to this as most people that would consider a more expensive unlock are the types that would never buy an IAP otherwise.

13. flyordiedays

flyordiedays Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2011
    I'm really enjoying the gameplay, personally. My only real wish list at this point would consist of a d-pad and offline mode. I only have sporadic wifi access. I would also pay a premium price for timer removal. Otherwise, super fun game.

14. Azrie

Azrie Member

Nov 12, 2010
    This has a lot of potential to be a great game. Here are a few suggestions I have after playing for a couple days:

1) The most crucial: like most people the energy system needs a revamp, IAP for no energy timer would be ideal but even a way to drastically increase either the rate that it replenishes or the amount you can bank so I can play for more than 10-15 minutes at a time

2) Costs for the premium pearl items seem really high. Especially the bag and upgrade slots for the stalls for selling.

3) Inventory slots are VERY limiting. Right now I have 5 of the 20 available slots filled with clothing and furniture earned from quests. I don't want to trash them because I don't know if there is any other way to get them later on. I can't afford to get the bigger bag with pearls. Either reduce the upgrade costs, especially early on, or do something like allow stacks of the same item to only take up one space in the bag - 20 driftwood stack is one space etc.

4) Increase the respawn rate for fish, bushes, trees, driftwood etc. Right now I can play for 15 min every hour but only for a couple hours. After that every island open to me I've fished out and gathered all the bushes and trees. Maybe increase the respawn rate to every time you visit the island or every hour. There is no reason for me to go and use energy other than to do the odd quest which usually takes money that I don't have because I can't fish and sell them.

5) Someone else mentioned this but the difficulty on the medium sailing games seems way above the easy, I can't imagine hard. Maybe this is rectified by ship upgrades but even at a couple days in I can't access any and half the sailing games are medium, I don't feel like I have a hope of getting gold on any except the slalom.

6) Reduce the timer on how long it takes to sell items. For the beginner fish and fruit it should be shorter while the later more expensive fish should be longer. This would mesh well with increased spawn rates and increased energy for travel.

Overall this could be an excellent game, very engaging and original gameplay. It seems right now that there are a few balancing issues in terms of timing and progress that need to be worked out. A typical play for me goes something like play for 15 minutes like this: travel to island 1, grab 2 fish get a quest, go to island 2 and fulfill the quest get 1 more fish then go the home island sell the fish, travel to island 1 again to fulfill quest, travel to island 3 grab 2 more fish and inventory is full. Then wait an hour and complete a similar set of events while trying to manage the paltry inventory space, not being able to keep even half of what I find. Then wait again for 3-4 hours hoping the fish and bushes respawn so I can try to make a bit of money.
    This being said I am still coming back and playing as it is quite enjoyable even with these issues. A few changes to increase the rate of progression so that I have steady progression instead of spurts and jumps followed by hours of waiting for simple things would go a long way in the playability.
    Hopefully the devs read the suggestions and implement a bunch of them as I would gladly pay for quite a few IAPs providing they offered what I was looking for and it sounds like quite a few others would as well.

15. chaos_envoys

chaos_envoys Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Medical Doctor
    Pokke Village, Indonesia
    And offline... Offline is really needed.... Like how animal crossing can be plyed offline....

16. Nirakk

Nirakk Active Member

Mar 7, 2010
    To the devs: While sailing home to deliver my fish and other stuff, I won a much wanted item in a mini-game. Sadly, it vanished, probably because of the full bag. I mostly earn money, so I didn't think about leaving free space for prizes. And, let's admit it: we need that space. ;-) Would it be possible to have the option to toss or replace an item from inventory in case of winning a prize while having a full bag?

17. Nirakk

Nirakk Active Member

Mar 7, 2010
    Haha, I sometimes forget what I was doing before I ran out of energy. I also forgot where I used to make apple juice and used energy to bring my green apples to the grog machine. Wrong. I then needed the space, so I tossed away two apples and forgot about it by the time the energy allowed me to sail again. In a sane moment I remembered the restaurant, so Ahoy! Only to happily arrive in front of the machine with *one* apple. And a lack of energy. ;)

I love this game!

18. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    The game obviously has huge potential but is held back by ridiculous freemium timers. I've deleted it now and that's a shame.

If only the game was timer free and had a £1-5 price it would be so much better :(

It's time freemium died off, it's ruining what could be great games.

19. illjc

illjc Member

Dec 28, 2012
    Totally this, I've missed many a side quest item or root removal stuff to clear my town because my inventory was full, but would easily throw something else Away for it.