Universal Seabeard - (by Backflip Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Oct 24, 2014.

1. dreadnok

dreadnok Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum I'm ou
    This game is awesome already it has so much personality and life and you interact with pretty much everything. Thank goodness this came after my trip to Hawaii or I'm sure I'd be a single man now :D

2. ItouchBrett

ItouchBrett Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    thank you for posting. also thanks for the email.

3. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

Stats seem to be stored in the Cloud/On their own Server. After switching between three different iDevices and always starting where I had left off my final guess is that if Backflip or HandCircus don`t reset at some point our progress in the Game before the Launch we should be able to just keep playing the Game where we had left off during the Soft-Launch or the last time you had played the Game.

So far the only two Bugs that I had encountered was a Crash back to the Main Menu of my iDevice that I could do again and again and again after loading the Game up the first time and always crashing right before the first time the sleeping Rudolf showed up also the Music was already playing in the Background.

The second was on a different iDevice (iPad Air) where the Game crashed after I had loaded it up the first time and Sleeping Rudolf showed up and I had pressed once and he waked up and the Game crashed to the Main Menu Screen of the iDevice.

Afterwards I loaded up the Game and it went straight to where the Game had left off on my Island.

4. HandCircus

HandCircus Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Great, thanks for the feedback! We'll take a look at this

5. Talxn

Talxn Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2012
    I was just on my way to GameStop to pick up Fantasy Life for the 3DS and got the notification this game soft launched! Awesome. I am downloading now. :)

6. HandCircus

HandCircus Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Hey, sorry to hear about the crashes. If you have the time we'd *really* appeciate the crash logs (tho realise this is a bit of a pain so no worries if not!) if you can send them to hello [at] handcircus.com.

7. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    This is so glorious. I have been enjoying it since I saw they released it last night over in the upcoming thread! Very happy to see it uses Game Center to save progress so I can give money when it releases worldwide.

The processors of the newest devices are too quick for the load screens though - many of the screens with tips disappear before I can actually read them!!!

8. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Okay. Not usually my type of game, but being a fan of Hand Circus since the ngmoco days/early AppStore, I went ahead and dusted off the old CA account to give this game a spin. Very nice job visually, sounds and animations are all spot on too. Story line so far...eh, I can live with it, it's not terrible.

Buuuut... Why do I feel like I'm playing Oceanhorn..in another dimension? Seriously, I'm not smoking crack (yet..today) but am getting something a bit stronger than just a vibe of Oceanhorn flavor. This certainly isn't a bad thing as I paid premium pricing for OH on day one and have never had the least regret.

Hand Circus; is anyone working there also assoc. with Cornfox & Bros.? Not accusing, just asking. What were the major influences for Seabeard, if not OH?

Thanks for your time and commitment,

Richard :D

9. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
  10. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    I really hope they will get rid of the always online.

Both games were inspired by The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker.

11. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    #31 rIcHrAnDoM, Oct 24, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
    Thanks, that explains it ;) I've only been "following" HC's Seabeard developing on Twitter and it was mostly just teaser screens and whatnot. Like I said it's not a bad thing, at all, just a curiosity on my part. And honestly I haven't played a LoZ game since NES! I even own one on my Wii U and have never fired it up.

12. Backflip_Kevin

Backflip_Kevin New Member

Oct 24, 2014
    #32 Backflip_Kevin, Oct 24, 2014
    Just wanted to compliment the community in finding the game, we weren't going to officially announce the soft launch until later! The official HandCircus account should be able to handle Q&A, just wanted to make sure the Countries/Regions didn't get misreported!

Sanuku: The Game is in Soft launch for Canada, Mexico, and The Netherlands.
    New Zealand was misreported, earlier and is going to be part of the Worldwide launch.

Device list is
    iPhone 4s or higher
    iPod Touch 5th Generation or higher
    iPad 2 or higher.
    An internet connection is required to play.

Can you update the OP please :)

Eli:
    Data is stored using your GameCenter account on HandCircus' servers. You will not be locked into an iTunes region. As long as you use a normal GameCenter account your purchases and progress will be saved. If you are a reviewer with a "Sandbox" GameCenter account we recommend signing out and using your real one to make purchases and to keep your progress.

13. Gamigo78

Gamigo78 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2011
    This was one of my most anticipated game for a very very long time. And I am really loving it so far. Exactly what I expected an even much more. Congrats on this, I am sure you will be successful with this awesome game.

I have one suggestion though:
    Could you consider implementing a D-Pad control scheme as an option? I know it will take some time probably, and the current control scheme is good, but I would really like to see this in a future update.

14. rhljk14

rhljk14 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Swansea, MA
    so been looking forward to this game but it keeps crashing for me. Freezes while gamecenter is loading, then closes. Running on a 5s.

15. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    #35 L.Lawliet, Oct 24, 2014
    This. Sadly.

Just fyi, when i restored my old games on my iphone a good number of the online games (older ones) that I tested had not seen updates for a year and many just didnt connect anymore. They were dead games. Luckily I didnt invest my time too much into those. Another reason for not playing online only games for me.

16. sushibox

sushibox Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2008
    I'm having a similar issue, iphone 6 running iOS 8.0. Sometimes it's just black, with Rudolf snoring, sometimes it's him frozen in his chair, but it often happens exactly when GameCenter begins to load. This makes me think it's a bug that has to do with GC. I'm eager to play it though.

17. nicodemus82

nicodemus82 Well-Known Member

Was looking forward to trying this, but keeps crashing for me when the sleeping guy shows up on screen. I'm playing on an iPod 5g 64gb running iOS 7.1.2

18. Talxn

Talxn Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2012
    My first impressions are that the game looks great and it is a nice experience so far. A complaint would be that I am stuck on an island with nothing to do for 12 minutes. I would gladly pay you $10 or whatever you feel is a justifiable price to remove the countdown timer. I will then pay you for extra content (expansions). However, I will not pay just to cut down the time I have to wait to travel from island to island.

I would like to request a virtual joystick added to the bottom left side of the screen that is fixed in place. Not one of those invisible controls that let you move the character any direction anywhere on the screen. Games that implement that get annoying because my hand is covering the whole screen when I try to move the character around. The tapping is nice and well done, but I prefer to just use arrow keys or a joystick.

19. garbul

garbul Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2014
    Even more importantly - what happens when the server, inevitably, goes down? There's no ownership of a game like this. :( Need I remind anyone of the ill-fated Tales of Phantasia iOS port.

20. Bloodangel

Bloodangel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England
    Fantasy life is a great game too m8