Universal Scurvy Scallywags - (by Beep Games, Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Jun 5, 2013.

1. jaaaws

jaaaws Active Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Is there anyway to reset your current character and start a fresh game?

2. grits

grits Well-Known Member

May 28, 2012
    Cant argue with these reviews. Buying ;)

3. Claytoonz

Claytoonz Active Member

Jul 21, 2012
    The best way? Die. You'll keep all your accessories, skills, gold, ships, etc. but start over with a new pirate. It's more entertaining too: Just swap over to a monster and avoid getting swords. They'll be happy to take care of things. This is partly due to the semi-rogue-like underpinnings of the game.

The other way is to go to the Settings on your iOS device, scroll down to Scallywags and delete your game data. You'll get a prompt asking if that's what your really want to do when you boot up the game again. Say "Yes" if you want to start over COMPLETELY, including scrubbing stuff you've won on the wheel, shanty verses etc. You can restore your purchases on the options screen (via the button with the little cog on the title screen), but everything else is nuked.

Hope this helps.

4. jaaaws

jaaaws Active Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Thank you, the second way is exactly what I was looking for. My first try on the game was just to see the gameplay but I didn't read all the texts on story and stuff.

5. jones2929

jones2929 Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Love this game - found myself playing for way too long when I should have been working. I have a couple of questions for any experts:

(1) How do the battle mechanics work? Obviously, if I have 6 "swords" and the opponent has 10, I'll lose. However, there have been instances when I have had 10 to an opponent's 12, and I've won.

(2) When is a board completed? I think it's when you kill 2 enemies, but I'm not sure.

(3) Is there a bonus if you connect four or five non-gold, non-sword items (like Grog, birds, coconuts, etc)? Or do you just get four or five of those items.

Thanks - these questions keep floating in my head.

6. Claytoonz

Claytoonz Active Member

Jul 21, 2012
    (1) Yes. It's mostly pretty simple math. The reason you squeaked out a win against a stronger opponent is because you either scored a critical hit or a dodge. These come from two places: The stats on what your pirate is wearing, and the stats you build up with the points you earn by leveling.

(2) The board is completed when the last enemy is defeated. You can check the monster counter to the upper right to see how many are left. You can leave sooner if you have the Exit skill equipped, though.

(3) Not as such, apart from a general sense of well being. Some of these items do end up in your Inventory and can be sold for some extra spending gold.

7. jones2929

jones2929 Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Thanks for quick response. This game is a steal at .99.

8. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I think mostly true but I think when you match over 3, just like with swords, it probably counts as more than just the 4-5 items matched (although not super sure). Must of these items sell for pennies per dozen, but some of these items like Golem Stones and Grog are an almost credible income source.

9. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Sorry, I don't quite understand what you just said.

Do you mean if you exit a level earlier you will then see a new place on the island that you did not see previously? Is this "hidden" place why I scored the achievement of "leaving the island before clearing it"?

This is most confusing...

10. Claytoonz

Claytoonz Active Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Yeah -- Good point.

We tried a bunch of ideas for getting more/other stuff from other items and match styles (food giving you health, for instance), but toned it down or killed it altogether for balance reasons. Food for health was insanely exploit-prone. Right now the main benefit of non-gold, non-sword matching is cooling down your skills. Bigger matches and longer cascades really help there.

11. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Has anyone found a way to beat the level with 1 stone golem and 4 fast moving scorpions that home on you quickly. The level is also noted for lesser number of swords appearing than usual.

I suspect this is a level specifically designed to "force" you to use a skill to make more swords. However, I want to know if someone knows of a beat to beat it without using that skill?

12. Rooie1154

Rooie1154 Active Member
    Patreon Silver

Sep 24, 2012
    Okay, I was hoping someone else would have asked this so I wouldn't look stupid...but obviously I'm the stupidest person playing this great game....

How do you change the items you have equipped? There are five slots and I can't, for the life of me, figure out how to change them! I'm sure I'll slap myself upside the head when I find out...but meanwhile...

13. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    #153 Mr. Charley, Jun 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
    Tap your character icon when on the island (top right). Menus open up...this option is not available when in middle of a round.
    Tap the slot that looks like a bullseye and voila :)

14. cdkilgore21

cdkilgore21 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Great game!! Would love to see an endless mode added later.

15. slowpc

slowpc Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Anyone have any updates on the icloud issues me and another user were having a few pages back?

Really wanted to play some while at work on the Iphone ... but due to the issue had to wait until I got home :(

16. Rooie1154

Rooie1154 Active Member
    Patreon Silver

Sep 24, 2012
    Aha!! Thanks. I didn't realize that there were check boxes to activate the items.

17. boodro82

boodro82 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2012
    I did not know the existence of this game until today. It is fantastic! The production value is through the roof. Lots of care was put into this game and it shows. A steal at .99

18. FledgeFish

FledgeFish Active Member

Dec 20, 2012
    This game is really awesome but annoyingly The icloud function doesn't work at all. I have all my icloud settings in order. Does anyone have a fix?

19. Claytoonz

Claytoonz Active Member

Jul 21, 2012
    #159 Claytoonz, Jun 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
    I haven't heard of that sort of issue. Did you try to do some sort of manual iCloud save outside the game? If so, you don't need to. The game does the cloud save automatically as you play. All you should need to do is quit, pick up the other iOS device, load the game and you'll be where you left off on the previous device. It sometimes takes a minute or two for the save to propagate, but it's usually pretty fast and seamless. If you have more than one game going on different devices, it will notice the other game and ask which one you want to continue when you boot up. I've gone between my iPhone and iPad almost daily with no problem.

That said, if there is some setting in iCloud that is causing trouble, we'd really like to hear about it via [email protected]. Thanks!

20. Claytoonz

Claytoonz Active Member

Jul 21, 2012
    There are a few ways to tackle the Stone Golem. He has that maddening habit of turning swords to stone, so yeah - swords can get pretty scarce. I usually try to go in with at least one skill equipped that boosts my swords count and/or converts other things to swords. My usual standby is "Gold To Swords." Avoid matching gold as you start the level, then use the skill and you should have a board full of swordy goodness. The one that grabs all the swords on the board is handy - you can snap them up before he has a chance to remove them. I also rely on offensive skills like the blunderbuss to whittle down his HP and take him out early. If he's gone, the remaining monster are usually not a huge problem.