Universal Scurvy Scallywags - (by Beep Games, Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Jun 5, 2013.

1. retrogamer83

retrogamer83 Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    United Kingdom
    I'm pretty much all 'match3'd-out'. What makes this one special or different from the millions of others? :)

2. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Look at the scallywag asking what makes this different :p
    It's like that magic when you first played dungeon raid, this is like that all over again.

3. MisterMiracle

MisterMiracle Active Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Quoted for truth. Your brain lights up with joy.

4. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Real time, or do you take as long as you want to make matches?

5. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Take as long as you like.

6. MisterMiracle

MisterMiracle Active Member

Feb 15, 2011
    For the most part, turn-based, although there are rare "get as much gold as you can in 1 minute" levels, where its a mad rush to make as many matches as possible. But that's rare, and usually a treat.

7. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Well no, it isn't. You CAN buy gold as well. It comes up when you try to buy an item and don't have enough money.

I don't care. Bought the doubler and when I complete the game, I might give them a bit more. They deserve it for this game.

Ohyes, I couldn't agree more.

Retro, I feel the same, but this game is so unbelievable. I don't know how to explain it.

I believe this game is the first real shake up of the puzzle genre in a very long time. I know that everyone raved about 10000000000000 (I may have added a few too many zeroes...) but I never felt it.

This, however, has blown me away. I am having so much fun, fun that I haven't had I'm so long.

I haven't, I got down to 1 heart, but haven't failed. I wonder what happens when you lose all your hearts? I'd like to know this as well if anyone can speak to it.

As far as the difficulty, I am level 9 and it hasn't been easy, I've lost some hearts and have needed to jump around a bit but it is certainly doable.

I love it.

So much.

8. retrogamer83

retrogamer83 Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    United Kingdom
    Thanks guys, bought.

9. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Honestly I think that is one huge reason why I love the game so much. I never have to rush unnecessarily, something I HATE in games, especially puzzle games.

Having time limits ruins puzzle games for me. I don't mind it here because it is rare and you don't get punished by taking too long, you just get less gold :)

One thing that bugs me is that you don't get to confirm before you start a level. I accidentally left an island that I hadn't finished because I screwed up, though I did get an achievement for it ;)

10. Enriana

Enriana Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2011
    East Coast, US
    #90 Enriana, Jun 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
    Oh, thank goodness I'm not the only one struggling a bit, I was starting to feel rather silly and kind of dense. I'm dying way more than I would want, and resurrecting is getting expensive. :p

Thanks for the tips, I think the main thing for me is that I'm used to the kind of "mindless" match 3s where you're just going for big matches, instead of treating it more like a puzzle game and focusing more on movement/locations/skills.

Absolutely loving this game. I was intending to get this and the new Kingdom Rush game but purchased this first and started playing... and haven't stopped. ;) Needless to say, KRF is probably going to wait a bit. Definitely my GOTW, and if content continues to be added (I'm level 11 but haven't built any ships but the one you start with & only have 3 verses, so I'm sure I have plenty to play still), this will have a permanent spot on my main game screen. Yes, it's that good.

ETA: Sooo I managed to die again and couldn't pay to resurrect, so I died for real. Is there any actual penalty? I have all my gold, ships, skills, and quest items. Now I feel dumb for spending a few thousand gold overall when dying is no biggie.

11. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Seriously? You keep everything? Will try next time. I wasted tons of money then too :)

12. Enriana

Nov 12, 2011
    East Coast, US
    #92 Enriana, Jun 6, 2013
    Yeah, I was surprised too. When you hit the "die" button, it does tell you that you'll keep your skills before you confirm, but I'd never looked before. I was assuming the quest items (or at least the shanty) would vanish, but the main thing is that you start at the beginning of the map. I haven't played enough to know if there's more, or how much starting at the beginning effects gameplay.

I'm glad that there's a "gentle" way - instead of "hardcore" ;) - to die, especially as the game gets harder, but I do wish I'd known beforehand. Oh well, starting at the beginning isn't much of a deterrent to me, I just get more gameplay! :p

13. TRB4

TRB4 Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2013
    You start at level 1 after you die. You keep your skills, but you'll need to level up again before upgrades and unpurchased skills appear on the skills page again. You also lose your island progress.

14. Enriana

Nov 12, 2011
    East Coast, US
    Ahh okay, that makes more sense, thanks for the info. I was wrong about the second part of the popup then, edited my post to reflect it. :)

15. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    #95 your personal robot, Jun 6, 2013
    Yeah, just did this ... :(
    Was on my third ice island. Ok, since the game is that much fun. Here we go!
    Since stats stay as well, I see it as a fun grind now :)

16. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Nope, you keep skills and items but definitely NOT levels. So all stat modifications due to the level based stat increases will be lost (but the bonuses based on your equipped costume are unaffected). I like how dies make restarting appropriately painful. As a side effect, while you'll have whatever skills you've purchased so far (currently being used or not) and ships, to improve on these skills/ships, if maxed out when you died, you'll need to get well past the level you left off to have an opportunity to improve them anymore.

While restarting with all of your last life's loot and skills makes a second go a lot easier, it still can mean a big investment in time just to get back where you left off.

17. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Dear Mr Gilbert and all the people at Beep Games:

Kindly accept the money Im sending your way for the coin doubler as a thank you for the effort you put into creating such a masterpiece as Scurvy Scallywags. I will probably send you more in the near future to see more of your creativity on my iDevice.

Sincerely yours, Matt Frost

18. FraggleJP

FraggleJP Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    This is absolutely fantastic!

If I have one criticism, it's that the music is too 'jazzy' for me, almost to the point of being irritating..

19. TRB4

TRB4 Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2013
    If the dev is still reading this forum, I have a problem.

I was in the beta and my pirate from beta was still "in the cloud" when I started, so I chose to continue with my level 29 pirate. Well I have already built all 9 pirate ships, but during beta the achievement was to build 10, now that the achievement is for building 9 I don't have the achievement and don't think that I can get it :( is there anyway that I can trigger the achievement without starting the game over again?

Also, here are my stats at level 29:

[​IMG]

I blurred out my pirate because I didn't want to spoil any of the clothing or weapons.

20. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Lol, maybe you should have just started again instead of trying to carry over a save from the beta, that's never a good idea in the first place.