Universal Scurvy Scallywags - (by Beep Games, Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Jun 5, 2013.

1. ShaggyPKA

ShaggyPKA Active Member

May 16, 2013
    Very tempted to get this. How does the IAP factor in?

2. Thawkk

Thawkk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I'm having a lot of fun with the game, kudos to the devs. One thing I would suggest be added though is some better multitasking support. For example, if I'm playing and I get a text, and I close the app to go answer it, everything has to load up again when I go back to the app. Just a minor annoyance, but otherwise great game.

3. TRB4

TRB4 Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2013
    I've broken 200 power before.

4. TRB4

TRB4 Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Unless they've made a major tweak to the in game pricing since beta, you can easily unlock everything in the game without ever needing any IAP.

5. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Game Impressions

Not being a match-3 buff myself, I am still enjoying this immensely (even to the point of taking a break from Kinetic Damage and Call of Juarez Gunslinger, without even having explored 9th Dawn and Kingdom Rush Frontiers at all so far). I'd place it at the very top of the short list of match-3 games I've played and enjoyed, just below Puzzle Quest 1 (which I enjoyed llike few games before or since on my iOS device, thanks to the immense complexity and variety of activities). Presentation-wise, Scurvy Scallywags is probably one of the most charming games for the platform, and collectibleaniacs will probably get their fill and feel stuffed for quite some time afterwards.

Also, throwing money at Ron Gilbert to make him stay with the platform - priceless.

6. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    The only IAP you will find here is a coin doubler priced at 0.99$ :) Nothing else.

7. ypai1217

ypai1217 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2013
    The game has crashed 5 times on me in the past 3 hours ... Thrice when I obtained a random outfit from the spinning wheel.

I have a qst generation iPad iOS v5.1.1

Also even 4or5 of a kind matches of gold give the same amount.. Is that a bug? I have the coin doubler and it gives me 6 gold either way

8. Wicked8146

Wicked8146 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 17, 2009
    Dinosaur hunter
    Los Angeles
    I have been loving this game. Tell your friends. Instabuy. Same sort of addictive quality as Puzzle Craft and 10000000. No crashes here. iPhone 4.

The only request I have would be to allow me to listen to podcasts/other apps while playing. It seems they did not enable fast app switching very well cause if you are mid-game and you switch to another app and then switch back, it starts you back on the island.

9. oldgamer dude

oldgamer dude Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2013
    Dive in matey and join us scallywags! These waters are not infested will silly IAPs and such nonsense. Arrrr

10. ohyesuare

ohyesuare Active Member

Aug 13, 2012
    have to agree with all the praise, what a great game.

11. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Fully agree it's super nifty but suspect a memory leak as the game invariably crashes after 30-60 min of playing on my iPad 3 iOS 6.1.4. It's usaully inbetween levels and a reboot will get me right where I left off.

12. ericleeuiuc

ericleeuiuc Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Yeah I've broke 100 now but I started to get a bit anxious to move on in the story.
    It will be interesting to see if the monsters get faster as the game progresses.

13. Card

Card Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Toronto Canada
    Have you guys failed levels? How is the difficulty?

14. o0oJAKEo0o

o0oJAKEo0o Well-Known Member

May 23, 2012
    Full-Time Student
    KCMO
    Game is fantastic! All that needs to be said. Get it now.

15. jaaaws

jaaaws Active Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Is there any way to start a new and fresh game other than re-installing the app?

I just wanted to see the gameplay earlier and didn't read all the texts, so I missed out on the story etc.

I just want to start from the very beginning but I don't see the option to do it.

16. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    #76 your personal robot, Jun 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
    Help, I'm having serious trouble with the difficulty of this game. Or I am doing something profoundly wrong. I got the coin doubler at the beginning. Worked my way to several islands. Now I'm level 13, starting with only 17 attack points and lose pretty much every (at least every second fight) which results in dying every two matches... and so, I lost and still lose all my money for resurrections. I start to lose having fun. It's really depressing. Any advice?

EDIT: I normally think that I am not a bad match-3 player, and of course I go for all the swords. Still I don't get to match the attack points of the enemies. Cool-down rates of my perks are also extremely long. So they don't really help me.

17. Claytoonz

Claytoonz Active Member

Jul 21, 2012
    There are a few things you can try if you're hitting a wall and/or doing a lot of dying.

- Skills, skills, skills. Both Jump to Safety and the Free Swap skill can save you a lot of trouble. Free swaps are only 200 gold, so keep them maxed between levels.

- Skills (again). The Gold to Power skill is a huge help when you need a quick bump in your attack number. One player I know does junk to gold first THEN does this one. Huge attack power pay-off.

- Corner and cross matches. Don't always match all the Power Swords right away. Let some accumulate and go for a corner or cross-shaped match. This creates a special 3X power sword you can match with ordinary ones.

- Accessories. Look for the hats, shirts, pants, etc. that give you the best stats. They display as you swap through them on the big dress-up screen. These can give you an edge.

- Ships. Ships give you skills too. These are mostly passive, but the faster skill cool-down is super helpful sometimes. One of the ships even reduces enemy health overall.

There are a lot of other strategies and tactics you can try. I'll post some more later!

18. ypai1217

Mar 4, 2013
    I've reached a power level of ovah 9000 !!!!

19. ypai1217

Mar 4, 2013
    Also the hired scallywag skill that summons a companion pirate is a must have ! On its base level it does 5 dmg when it clashes with an enemy.. But he can also be used to pick up quest items and gifts nearby (and its just some 150 moves to replenish)

20. Claytoonz

Claytoonz Active Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Very true! Red Shirt is super handy. Ranged attacks are also good. The blunderbuss is always in my skill lineup. I tend to use it early in a level so it can cool down and get off another shot near the end, if needed.

Also, your skills will cool down even if they're not equipped. I like to trade them out every other level so I always start a board with all my skills ready to go.