Universal Scurvy Scallywags - (by Beep Games, Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Pixel_Gamer

Pixel_Gamer Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2013
    Did you manage to unlock all of the costumes? Any new quests after completing the shanties? I doubt I'll be finishing the game anytime soon. I've stopped playing for a couple of days now, I may return when there's new content.

2. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    #402 y2kmp3, Jul 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
    I am missing one face from the costume collectibles. It is the LAST one from the most bottom row. There is no outline for that face? Is this supposed to be the case?

Also, how do you kill 2 enemies or 3 enemies or 4 enemies on a SINGLE attack (for achievement)? I lined up 2 baddies side by side so I attack one after another, but the achievement does not activate.

3. putermcgee

putermcgee Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Seattle
    My guess is you group a bunch of enemies together and shoot them. That usually doesn't kill them outright, but that's when you unleash another area-effect attack.

4. Piph

Piph Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Can you play music or podcasts uninterrupted while playing this game?

5. kaibosh

kaibosh Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2012
    I have played the crap out of this game but it is missing that little something where you feel that you are getting somewhere... There are times on the board where no matter what I do, what skills I have ready to go, no matter how well things go as far as the moves I make go... I just get ground underfoot, caught in a situation where I lose a heart and eventually have to buy my life back.

There is so much to love about this game, but it is a grind with no seeming end.

6. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    #406 y2kmp3, Jul 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
    What area-effect attack can kill so many at once? Do you mean a b0mb? Other any that, what else can I use (because I am trying to beat the game until using any consumables that require charges)?

Also, why am I not getting the "No Stone Unturned" for clearing completely 10 islands? I am far past 10 islands already and cleared all the areas. Is this another achievement bug?

Update: Nevermind. I figured out the trick to get even quad-kill achievement by bunching the enemies together adjacent to each other and then use the jump power to jump right beside them before they have a chance to disperse themselves. The key is to use the jump power. Otherwise, by the time you get to the bunch by conventional means, at least one of them will move away from the configuration. No need for area-of-effect weapons like bombs. This is a much more elegant solution to get this achievement.

7. falcon815

falcon815 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    Loved the game. Bought it solely on Ron Gilbert's name and wasn't disappointed.

For the triple and quad kill, yes, all I had to do was kill three or four enemies in the same sequence of attacks. As long as I could move from one enemy to the next without making another swap, it counted.

On the achievement note, many of the achievements aren't showing up properly in Game Center for me. For example, I have the achievement for killing 500 evil pirates, but the one for 100 is stuck in Game Center at 99%. I have "earn 100,000 gold", but not 500 or 5000, 50 presents but not 10, etc. Everything displays fine in-game.

It appears to be things I earned when I wasn't on a Wi-Fi connection. Is there anything I can do to get those synced up, or is this a common Game Center problem? (I'm new to this whole iOS thing - the only other game I've played is Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions, and it synced up with Game Center when I re-established an Internet connection.)

8. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    I finally finished the game. Here are my final stats.

O heroes dead
    O heroes resurrected
    12,441 moves made
    19 islands explored
    583 enemies killed
    161 presents opened
    157971 gold gathered

Here is a screenshot with the "final" outfit:

[​IMG]

I was able to complete the game without using any IAP (particularly the coin doubler), unlocking all costumes and finishing all side quests, but I did not try to get all of the achievements that require you to die or get resurrected or to continue to explore after the main campaign for the island achievements. If you are wondering how I was able to finish the game visiting just 19 islands, I can tell you that this was just by chance. In the half a dozen times I played the game, the others did not turn out as fast. The game can get stretched quite long if by chance you keep missing the shanty after each boss fight.

Overall, fantastic and clever take on the match-3 mechanic. Great writing. Polished graphics. Sadly, lots of achievement bugs (as described by previous posters too). I had to restart a game once because an achievement I wanted could not get unlocked even though I did it already. Ugh...

Otherwise, the only other gripe I have is that the game is way too grindy. For such a great game, it is really not necessary to pad the length, lest tiring the gamer because of the grind and lessening the otherwise stellar gameplay experience.

9. Wicked8146

Wicked8146 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 17, 2009
    Dinosaur hunter
    Los Angeles
    Yes, I unlocked all costumes, bought all ships. No new quests, only a few achievements left to complete.

10. Pixel_Gamer

Feb 6, 2013
    Finally beaten the game, what a drag... It took me close to an hour to beat the final boss. Not going to spoil it for anyone but one word of advice once you've gotten 15/16 shanties, before you enter your next match make sure you have ranged weapon/skill or the frog leaping skill equipped. It's more or less a necessity to have them equipped if you want to avoid playing the final match for long period of time.

I've definitely gotten more than a week's worth of playtime with Scurvy Scallywags. Very glad and happy with my purchase. I do hope there's going to be new purchasable expansions/content in the future.

11. darkever

darkever New Member

Jul 19, 2013
    I've got all the costumes unlocked but the second to last one on the bottom. I think it's a ghost pirate or something. No idea how to unlock it. Never comes in treasure, never for sale. I'm a lvl 35 with all the ships.

Anyone know?

12. Xidus

Xidus Member

Jun 3, 2013
    I beat the last boss too quickly and didn't get to see what he does. He showed up with 1hp and I shot him right away. Pretty anti-climatic. What's he supposed to do? No luck finding it on youtube.

If by finished you mean getting all the shanties.

v1.02
    Level 31
    0 heroes dead
    0 hero resurrected
    673 enemies killed
    224 presents opened
    26 islands explored
    304,850 gold collected
    25,892 moves made
    ?? hours played (doesn't say)
    no IAP (not even coin doubler)

I don't know if 1.02 made it easier. At some point I realized there was an in game store and bought a good weapon, and that made things easier. Well not so much easier, just less tedious.

13. Pixel_Gamer

Feb 6, 2013
    You can only unlock the outfit once you've beaten the final boss.

Agreed.

He just moves around tiles, trying to stay away from you as far as possible. That's it. It was a pain in the ass for me to drag him down the tiles towards me as I had no ranged attack equipped during that match.

I'm left wanting more but the game seems to be done unless there's new content updates.

14. Xidus

Xidus Member

Jun 3, 2013
    Just follow the strategy of putting yourself in one corner and all the monsters in the opposite corner. You have to learn how to manipulate the board. After I learned this I never lost a heart again.

Though it is a grind. The grind seemed less by blitzing through the islands, just bee-lining to the boss. So at least I'm not seeing the same board gfx so many times in a row.

15. beasstt

beasstt Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Is there anything to do after killing the last boss where he runs away from you constantly?

16. Pixel_Gamer

Feb 6, 2013
    Nope. Once you've beaten him the game is pretty much done, there's nothing more to do unless you're going for 100% achievement. There had been reports that some of them may actually be broken though.

17. nemerleb

nemerleb Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2013
    Can you define "broken" please. I always play my games offline on my iPad. I unlocked like 25 achievements in Scallywags; and when I connected to the internet again to sync them in Game Center only two showed up in it...
    Completely closing the app didin't work...what to do? (complete achievement whore here lol)

18. Wicked8146

Wicked8146 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 17, 2009
    Dinosaur hunter
    Los Angeles
    This game is free again.

19. Thanks for the free.

20. thenightfly42

thenightfly42 Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Are the powers that you get from building ships cumulative, or do you only get the power of the ship that you have selected?