Universal Scurvy Scallywags - (by Beep Games, Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Jun 5, 2013.

1. quebecotr

quebecotr Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Male
    Retired teacher
    Milwaukee, WI
    This might have come up before in the thread, but has anyone gotten the "Build an Armada" achievement ?

I've got all nine ships built, but I didn't get that achievement in Game Center - I'm annoyed and disappointed !!! Anyone else had the same problem ?

2. Pixel_Gamer

Pixel_Gamer Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2013
    I haven't finished the game yet (assuming beating the final boss, have a complete collection of pirate costumes and collection of all the shanties) but am able to give you some input. I've been playing the game everyday for roughly an hour or less since day 1 release (5th of June) and have only collected 9/16 of the shanties. My current character level is 29 also the highest I've managed so far without dying, no in app purchases whatsoever.

I've not noticed any easier difficulty after the update. However the game significantly became easier for a couple of levels after acquiring a specific weapon
    The Feather Duster, best weapon in the game in my opinion
    . After clearing a few more islands, it starts to get challenging again - even higher level and number of monsters.

Got that achievement post update, but then I built all the ships only after the update.

3. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    #383 y2kmp3, Jul 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
    For those who are interested, version 1.0.2 still did not fix the "incomplete quest left on the island" achievement. Ugh!!! For a Ron Gilbert game, this is just sad that a bug like this is still not yet fixed. Along with the Tim Shafer mess, what is going on here?

4. quebecotr

quebecotr Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Male
    Retired teacher
    Milwaukee, WI
    Mine were all built before the update. There's no way to go back and build them again, I'm afraid...

Arrrrrrrr.....

I'm on level 30, so no way I'm starting over. Maybe the devs have an idea of what happened ?!?

5. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    #385 y2kmp3, Jul 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
    Is Scurvy Scallywags a "rigged" game?

The more I play this game, the odder I find of the game's so-called "random" mechanics. My friend and I spent the July 4 holiday doing an experiment. What we found disturbed us quite a bit. I am posting our findings here to see if other players share the same impression.

A BIG DISCLAIMER HERE: There is no way that the two of us can conduct a rigorous experiment. We have only two devices and have only limited time to repeat the experiment. There is no way to replicate the experiment enough times to derive statistically rigorous analysis to see if what we observed was indeed beyond chance.

My hypotheses are these (they are wild, so I only want to stick with the facts; I am NOT interested in having an emotional debate about IAP):

1. The game is rigged to be a lot tougher on jailbroken devices. If this is true, perhaps this is a hidden (and very clever) mechanism to battle against privacy. This makes a lot of sense, since this is a paid app and not a freeimum app.

2. The roulette is rigged to deliberately give lots of junk and impede your ability to build the next ship as you progress, making it harder and harder (not easier) to build the next ship, thus artificially lengthening the game.

To test these hypotheses, we played the game each on a non-jailbroken device and a jailbroken advice (both apps were purchased from day one/initial release period and not from the brief time when the app was free), we played until we had 200 enemies killed (we chose 200 because it simply took too long for us to get there and we did not have the patience to make it to 300). We recorded on paper every single treasure (junk or not) we got from the roulette. We took interest in the roulette because this is the "most" random element of the game and is where you score the biggest loot. We then deleted the game and replayed it again for three times (we choose three because we did not have the patience to do more, as each run took us literally about 6 hours to do).

Here are our findings:

1. Cumulatively, the number of junks we got was much higher proportionally from the game that was played on the jailbroken device than on the non-jailbroken device. This is particularly true for the ship building materials, in that their occurrence was much lower in the game that was played on the jailbroken device.

2. Island by island, cumulatively, for both jailbroken and non-jailbroken devices, the proportion of spins in which we got ship building materials decreased (not increased) as the game progressed. In other words, the game deliberately lessened the chance that you could get a ship building material the longer you play. In all of our plays, we could not advance enough to get to build the ship that would increase the treasure appearance by 50%. Thus, this phenomenon was restricted to only early parts of the game.

3. We observed that the roulette would frequently give building materials for ships that were beyond the one you were currently building and avoid giving building materials needed for the current ship. There were exceptions: they were canvas and bolts. This was a qualitative observation.

Again, I want to emphasize that these are just singular observations my friend and I made, however interesting they may be.

I want to ask other players, who are playing this game on either jailbroken or non-jailbroken devices, if they are observing similar phenomenon. It is true that the "rigging" may be considered as part of the game's mechanics. But, if this is the case, then such alternations are very poor mechanics designed to "pad" the game to increase the player's frustration trying to make progress in the game and perhaps entice the player to buy the IAP in order to make progress.

6. Pixel_Gamer

Feb 6, 2013
    Interesting. I'm playing on a non-jail broken device, so I have no idea whether it is "rigged" to be harder on a jail broken one. What I can say is that it is totally unnecessary to purchase any IAP to progress. I've 4 shanties left, currently at level 32, my character had died about 6 times. Each time my character comes back from the dead, he becomes much stronger since you keep all your skills and I'm able to advance further into the game. I don't find dying frustrating at all, it's part of the game (necessary to get achievements). My only gripe is that the game unnecessarily drags itself for far too long e.g you do not necessarily get shanties when you defeat a boss. It becomes a constant cycle, doing the same thing over and over again for a long time which kills interest.

7. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    I've noticed what I assume is a weird bug. I have the Feather Duster, which was originally set at 50% damage. Then I got the final shanty and it suddenly went up to 150% damage. I'm still playing in order to build the last two ships.

So I just leveled up to 30 and the Feather Duster went back to 50% damage. I didn't change anything else (costume, ship, skills, etc.) and so I'm not sure why the damage rate changed again.

Anyone else notice this and/or have any advice for keeping the damage at 150%? Thanks in advance for any info.

8. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    #388 y2kmp3, Jul 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
    There are so many weird other observations we made from our experiment.

For example,

Did you find that THE TIME OF DAY when you played the game had any influence in the type of treasure you would get from the roulette? For example, we found that there were times when we would get a long string of junk and other times when we would get a lot of good stuff. Is it possible that the game is tracking when you are playing and how long you have been playing in the current session and adjust the rate of treasures being given out?

Are you supposed to build the pirate ships in order? For example, both of us found certain items needed for earlier ships, such as the heavy ropes and the toilets are extremely rare, and yet certain items needed for later ships that are supposedly rare would appear far more often (yet still rare compared to junk).

The random game mechanics in this game are all hidden in a dark box. We can't even figure out how big the roulette wheels truly are, for example, by working back to figure out the true size from the tiny segments that we see on screen (yeap, we tried that...).

I just can't help but think that the underlying randomness of the game is actually not so random after all...

Can you share some statistics of your current build? How many enemies killed? Number of islands explored? Total gold? How many special abilities? Character stats (especially power & damage)?

9. putermcgee

putermcgee Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Seattle
    I'm still on the lave islands in my game, but from what I've read here, that's not even close to the end. Also, I happened to look over at my wife's phone as she beat the final boss. I have to say that is a really weak ending, and I'm not sure how much more I care to play.

10. Pixel_Gamer

Feb 6, 2013
    The damage % was definitely glitched, but they fixed it on their end. According to Ron's twitter feed it will revert back to it's original damage % when you quit and restart the game.

Current character stats:http://imgur.com/QAdhExl;1460 enemies killed;7 heroes dead;16 heroes resurrection;310 presents opened;55 islands explored;199,481 gold collected. Focused solely on dodge until it can't be increased anymore, then moved all of my remaining points to power. The skills that I use are the blunderbuss, sword attack, junk to gold, gold to power, and the pirate crew. Most of my gold are spent on active skill upgrades, only on skills that I use instead of being a jack of all trades.

For the chance of prizes in the roulette, after building "The Elegant Lady" that increases treasure chances by 100%, I'm able to get ship materials on most of the spins.

As for materials for ships, I experienced the opposite. Later leveled ships are definitely harder to find material and to build. In my play through all my ships were built in ascending order. Heavy ropes are hard to find though, you'll need to keep on grinding until you get them through the roulette. The in-game store only sales them once every 20+ minutes of so and not every restock has them. There's also a passive shanty that grants 5% less ship resource requirement, but then by the time I acquired it I've built all of the ships ages ago.

Maybe you're right somehow about the rigging. Some players that are impatient or even frustrated may lean towards buying gold coin or the coin doubler to speed things up. Completing the game is definitely possible without any IAP even if you suck at the game, you'll just progress at a slower pace. Like I said, the game drags on for too long with the same stuff over and over again, the whole experience is getting stale and repetitive.

11. brerlappin

brerlappin Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2009
    This happened to me too. Glad to see I'm not alone but it would be nice to know why it changed. Probably a bug but you never know.

12. Alex Wolf

Alex Wolf Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2010

Yep me
    Too

13. mattyduk

mattyduk Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Does Cloud saving/restoring only work across same devices i.e. Iphones to Iphone, Ipad to Ipad.

I've been playing on my Iphone, with correct cloud details, but when i go to my Ipad 3, it just shows me the cloud saving on my Ipad mini (which I have only launched, not actually played on). Do I have to delete it from one of the devices for the Ipad mini to pick up my main Iphone cloud save ?

14. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Tried this but was ineffective. The Feather Duster's still at 50% damage. Strange.

15. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    You are a master of this game! 55 islands! Yikes! You have been playing for a long, long time.

16. Alex Wolf

Alex Wolf Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Ie done 54 islands and gathered ~ 800 k

17. Pixel_Gamer

Feb 6, 2013
    It was glitched up to 150%. It's suppose to be 50% only.

18. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    The wolves are near impossible to deal with, if you are aiming for a perfect death with no heart loss.

What is it possible to deal with them if they keep attacking from a range?

Does each wolf attack by a timedown counter? I can't even find a pattern to how the wolves attack?

19. Wicked8146

Wicked8146 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 17, 2009
    Dinosaur hunter
    Los Angeles
    Just beat the game. My stats:

Level 29
    5 heroes dead
    1 hero resurrected
    951 enemies killed
    183 presents opened
    44 islands explored
    308,872 gold collected

20. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Does the game actually tells you that you have beaten the game?

I can't overemphasize how grindy the game feels. So many times I feel as if the game will deliberately halt your progress but withholding ship build materials, certain skills, etc. etc...