Universal Scurvy Scallywags - (by Beep Games, Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Jun 5, 2013.

1. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    88.6mb

Impressions soon :D

2. Mysticpete

Mysticpete Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2012
    so its download size is its install size?

3. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    Installed size :)

4. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    Oh man, I might be in front of the best match-3 game I ever played, its a bit too early to tell but yet I have this hunch thats always right. It has ton of stuff to collect, songs and gold pours in so far. And laughed and smiled quite a couple of times with the story already. Loving it :)

5. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    I'd agree only played it for an hour but it looks fantastic so far.

6. Pixel_Gamer

Pixel_Gamer Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2013
    #26 Pixel_Gamer, Jun 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
    How's the replay value? Is there a free roam mode?

Edit: Checked out TA's lets play, answered my own question. Will get this when it's out.

7. Claytoonz

Claytoonz Active Member

Jul 21, 2012
    There isn't free roaming as a separate mode, but the game continues to create islands and maps for as long as your pirate is alive -- even after you've won all the sea shanty verses.

8. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

There isn't an iCloud feature on this, is there?

I'm not sure whether to play this on my phone or on my iPad, but I presume it is portrait primarily and if so, it'll get way more iPhone time anyway.

9. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Link: http://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/scurvy-scallywags/id593299847?mt=8

10. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    The game randomly crashed for me when I received an item from the prize wheel.
    It was a Queen's Bodice (I think. It gave +2% power) and when I tapped "wear it", the game crashed. It wasn't the first item I got this way (the first was a skirt) but that one didn't crash the game.
    After it crashed, it took me back to the island screen with the event I was doing already complete. It was just a gift box, so I hadn't even finished the event in the first place and of course I didn't get the clothing either.

11. Enriana

Enriana Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2011
    East Coast, US
    Just grabbed this, crash report makes me nervous - hopefully it's not too common & gets resolved soon. Giving it a try now.

12. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    We should really buy that guy some type of ginormous flood light signal like Batman at this point...

Who lurks the shadows, defending mobile gamers pockets with gameplay videos? Sanuku-Man!

13. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    No crashes here in 90 minutes of play, but I haven't acquired any new clothing yet.

14. squabs

squabs Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2012
    Great stuff! No crashes touch 4, been playing all arvo. Arrrr.

15. Claytoonz

Claytoonz Active Member

Jul 21, 2012
    It's got iCloud integration, so you can pick up and continue between devices pretty easily. Once it detects a game on your phone (or iPad) it will ask if you want to continue -- Should be exactly where you left your pirate on the other device.

16. Claytoonz

Claytoonz Active Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Can you tell me which device/OS version you're running? Also, feel free to email us at [email protected] if you see this again.

The good news is that the pirate swag will come around on the wheel again eventually. Sorry for the inconvenience, though.

17. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    #37 Appletini, Jun 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
    I've seen one crash in about two hours or so, and that came at the very end of a location that had been completed. I'm not particularly big on match-3 games, largely because they're almost all completely uninspired and derivative, but I like this one for the production values and all the various little gameplay elements that have been thrown in.

I particularly like what they've done with the parallel storylines, with the first revolving around
    the pirate stageplay about the hunt for the verses of the Ultimate Sea Shanty, and the other involving the behind-the-scenes sabotage of the play itself.

Edit: I'll leave it covered, but that's not really a spoiler, Echo; the first storyline is the entire purpose of the game as outlined in the app description, and the second is "revealed" about five minutes into the game. :p

18. squabs

squabs Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2012
    Yaaaar.... My jail break has broken the iCloud save system, i think it can be fixed with a restore and rejailbreaking.don't worry I didn't commit an act of piracy.
    This is my current favourite game
    "The isle of Smart Phone" (probably Chinese)

19. ericleeuiuc

ericleeuiuc Member

Sep 7, 2012
    2 hours in and nothing to report but joy.
    Haven't had this much fun since 10000000.
    I bought the doubler to support the devs. Hopefully that doesn't make the game too easy.
    I've been trying to see how long I can go before the monsters track me down. Had my power over 70 once :)

20. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Wanna sign this. Best match-3 since 10000000. Just so much charming fun. Love it!!