Universal Scurvy Scallywags - (by Beep Games, Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Jun 5, 2013.

1. byronbulb

byronbulb Active Member

Jun 17, 2009
    My wife and I are both completely addicted to this game. I bought it the day it came out, and I really don't mind at all that the price has changed - we've gotten much, much more enjoyment out of the game than most things we spend a dollar on, and if some more people get the game for free and enjoy it, good for them.

2. putermcgee

putermcgee Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Seattle
    It's no longer free, so you entitled people can dry your eyes.

I missed buying this originally for whatever reason, and was only reminded because it went free. I'm enjoying the crap out of it, and immediately bought the coin doubler because I should have paid for the app in the first place.

3. Darth Ronfar

Darth Ronfar Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    I finally found the really strong swords that are in the IAP place and I'm level 25 with 4 deaths already.(kinda strange to put them their as I just found them) I'm doing good now with the item - gold, gold - sword strategy.

About the game going free I don't really care it was just 99c...

I'm at the Fire islands now and don't seem to be getting to anything new its been 3 strait areas with all fire islands.. Is it ever gonna change to something else? Is there like a final boss?

Also are you sure that you keep all the powers of every ship you build? What's the point of selecting one?(cosmetic preference?)

4. Claytoonz

Claytoonz Active Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Yes. You keep all the powers for every ship you build, whether the ship is equipped or not. So it's worth building them, then picking the one you like best visually to cruise around in.

5. Claytoonz

Claytoonz Active Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Oh, and Fire comes back around to the Jungle Islands again (rinse and repeat). If you've been picking up the quest items, you'll keep working your way through the same sequence (with random island shapes and names) until you've got the whole sea shanty. Bosses start to get more stingy about dropping verses, but they eventually do. After 15 verses you get to a final boss stage (no spoilers here though). After that, you can keep playing and leveling as long as you like.

6. moeTi

moeTi Active Member

Jan 24, 2013
    I was in the final boss stage yesterday, somewhat unexpected. it is much harder than anything else before...
    So, is there anything left to do now?! I'm lvl31, lost my last heart at ~lvl12, not even in the final battle. I built all ships, seem to have all the costumes, finished all active quests.

There are some achievements left, but I certainly won't grind them:
    "Complete 100 islands": Come on, I finished every single island I came upon, and this is at 20% or something.
    "Reach level 50": why? it is already boring at lvl30...

7. Claytoonz

Claytoonz Active Member

Jul 21, 2012
    For the story of the shanty and the theater, that's about it. It's really just down to whether you feel like continuing -- you can keep leveling, etc.

For the 100 island quest, that doesn't sound too far off. There are 3 to 5 (ish) islands per sea map. So, one trip through all four types is only going to be 12 to 20 islands. I think most players are well past level 20 at that point. Leveling only happens every couple islands after that, so it's possible you'd have a lot of islands to go for that achievement, even at level 30.

There might be a bug lurking in the island completion code. We've seen some players reporting issues with that, and we're looking into it. Thanks to everybody who brought that to our attention.

8. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I got it for free two days ago, and my wife and I are as you :) of course, we ended up buying the x2 gold IAP to support the devs. As someone already said, the App Store goes like this. You sometimes win, you sometimes lose. This time I won, but I can't count the times I paid something which went free just after buying it. You have to cope with it.

9. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

That was me, pleased to meet you.

10. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Has anyone noticed that the rewards for big 'T' combos (4/5 across the top and 3 down) don't give as much power as an 'L' combo? Seems odd as they're much harder to get.

11. ineptidude

ineptidude Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2013
    Trees
    USA
    Most of my remaining achievements are bugged up at this point. I have all ships yet that one won't unlock. The island completion one is messed up of course. I don't even have a percentage for killing 500 pirates, even though my stats show over 700 defeated.

12. moeTi

moeTi Active Member

Jan 24, 2013
    yep same here. I didn't get the "Build 9 ships" achievement, although I have 10 ships now with the one you have from the beginning.

13. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    Brilliant link. Very well written IMO.

14. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    What is the best gear in this game? Best weapon / clothes with stats etc.

Just curious which items i should make sure I dont pass up in the store.

15. moeTi

moeTi Active Member

Jan 24, 2013
    The only thing I bought in the store were weapons. You'll find enough costumes by just playing, and the stats don't differ too much.
    Maximum I remember was 6% crit on a hat, 12% power on a shirt, 8% dodge on trousers.

Go for a high damage weapon, there are some 40% and 45% swords, and two 50% damage weapons.
    they cost around 20k gold, so make sure to have enough when it hits the store :)

16. TRB4

TRB4 Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Here is a list of the best gear possible (I think):

Hat:
    Hat - Crit +5%. Looks like a white motorcycle helmet with blue stripes. It is purchased from the in game shop.
    Shirt:
    The Horde Leader - Power +12%. It is a gold plate armor with light blue sleeves and gold bracelets. It is won from the prize wheels.
    Pants:
    Fjord Waders - Dodge +8%. Look like brown pants with moccasin type shoes. It is won from the prize wheel.
    Weapon:
    Mr. Pokey OR Feather Duster - Damage +50%. Mr. Pokey is a spear and can be bought from the in game shop. The Feather Duster has pink feathers and can only be won from the prize wheel after you are level 25 or higher.

I just noticed that the devs lowered a bunch of stats since the beta. The best weapon used to be +150% Damage :(

17. slammajamma28

slammajamma28 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Software Developer
    'Murrica
    Lucky me, I got the hat very early in the game!

18. deadclown

deadclown Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Does anybody have a skill progression chart? Hard to know what to upgrade when it isn't clear how improved the skill will get.

Ex: Blunderbuss 5 damage becomes....?

19. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Can not put my device down because of this game. :D

20. Eoghann

Eoghann Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    IT Guy/Graphic Designer/Gamer
    New York
    Judging by what I have unlocked:

Blunderbuss damage: 5,10,15,20...
    Bonus picked up gold perk: 10%, 15%, 20%, 25%, 30%...
    Power Meter perk: 25%, 50%, 60%, 70%...
    Damage Boost perk: 10%, 20%...

You can also hold down the upgrade/purchase button to get a glimpse of what the skill will upgrade to. Make sure you scroll the screen up before lifting your finger, otherwise you'll spend your money. :)