Universal Scurvy Scallywags - (by Beep Games, Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Jun 5, 2013.

1. turakm

turakm Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    It is on that level. I mean, I love match 3's. So it was an instabuy for me. But it definitely has the same feel and enjoyment of the two you mentioned. I wouldn't miss this one.

2. Enriana

Enriana Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2011
    East Coast, US
    #202 Enriana, Jun 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
    Seconded. I also love match 3's, but this one has more depth and strategy - much like the two you mentioned. Also, pirates. ;)

Wholeheartedly recommended to anyone hesitating - it really is a delightful game, and a steal at just a buck.

ETA: I've been having trouble when escaping from enemies - my swipes often won't register even though I'm swiping my guy away, and the 'swap any two pieces' skill sometimes de-selects itself just as I'm using it to get away. Is my timing bad, or have others run into the same difficulty?

3. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    I have never been able to do that one, not even sure how it works. Always de-select itself when I try to use it. Great that you mentioned it, I was starting to think I was the only one...

4. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    I am loving this game but it gets pretty easy once you get a firm grip on how the pieces slide and move the characters. Perhaps the fact that I bought the coin doubler also resulted in me being over-powered. Can we buy a real world coin doubler? ;-)

A few folks have asked about an endless mode, but the game seems to go on for so long I don't see what this would add. I am not complaining here.

5. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Excellent tip. I hadn't realized this either.
    You can buy hearts in the store for 5000 gold.
    After tapping the skill, just make a normal move by swiping rather than trying to tap the two adjacent tiles you want to switch.

6. Naked Snake

Naked Snake Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    #206 Naked Snake, Jun 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
    I find it a little unreasonable that you're required to get 5 and then 10+ bandages just to restore one heart. It takes me forever just to get 5 and now it told me last time that I needed 10. It's easier to just die and pay gold to revive. 3 bandages would make more sense, I think. I might have to go through 4+ battles just to collect 5 bandages. Maybe a better player collects them faster, I don't know. It just seems like a lot.

Sometimes when I leave the app and return it places me right back into a battle, and other times it puts me into the overworld and I lose the fight I was in. It's pretty inconsistent.

7. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    #207 TheFrost, Jun 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
    Thanks! :)

8. saehild

saehild Member

Jan 4, 2013
    Is there a stat you can pump to negate red monster damage? If you get enough crit is there a chance red monsters won't make you lose a heart when you aggro one?

Also how much % power increase do you need to increase your starting attack power? It seems kindof confusing..

9. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
  10. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Fixed, You're welcome ;)

11. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    You bet.
    Hey man, that's my name you're fiddling with there!

12. Enriana

Enriana Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2011
    East Coast, US
    Question about clothes - is there a way to sort/store/arrange them? I can't figure out the order they're in in my inventory, and it's a bit tough for me to find upgraded/better clothes that I've bought or won when scrolling through my clothes.

Given that I don't think clothes can be sold (?), some kind of sorting or "shelving" mechanic would be great, to see the stat'd items for each body part without lots of scrolling or swiping on my character.

It's a minor inconvenience, but the more clothing I get, the harder it is to keep track of my "best" clothing.

13. CausticXD

CausticXD Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Technologist
    It would be nice to have a few preset slots for our own customized wardrobe. Swiping through everything does get a bit tedious.

14. Markku

Markku Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2011
    want to buy this game but how many hours is one single playthrough plus does this game have tons of unlockables for example more then what jet pack joyride had?

15. lancheta

lancheta Well-Known Member

May 20, 2012
    Crash issue. After defeating the pirates on any level, it allows me to collect as much gold in 5 moves. I used the powerup to turn the majority of the pieces to gold. After that I used the powerup to collect ALL the gold on the playing field.

I guess there is too much activity going on the screen, as it will crash every single time. It has happened three times already. Using iPod touch 4g.

16. moeTi

moeTi Active Member

Jan 24, 2013
    I'm level 17 or something and still unsure what stats to use...
    In this round I maxed out dodge early on (24%), but I only dodged 1 time by now... I know that because I got the dodge achievement at around lvl15, and the "dodge 10 times" achievement is at 10% completion.
    It happened when I was weaker than my enemy, so I dodged missing a heart.
    Is that the only thing dodge is for?

about power and damage: how do they work exactly?

power is supposed to give me more attack out of swords right? I have 180% now and still get 1 attack from 3-matched swords.
    and damage will give me more starting attack, or more damage in a fight?

so what's the best stat to boost?

what I dislike is the following:
    Lets say I have 40 attack power, my enemy has 35. After I won, I still have ~30 attack power left. So I did 35 damage but only received 5 damage.
    On the other hand, when my enemy has 35 attack, and I only have 34, I will lose a heart, although I would receive almost no damage in a winning fight...

I hope you understand what I'm trying to say :cool:

17. Snakethesniper

Jul 5, 2012
    I'm considering buying this, but I have one question. I saw that the game has in-app purchases, are they necessary? I don't want to buy a game where I need to buy more things to play

18. moeTi

moeTi Active Member

Jan 24, 2013
    there is a coin doubler which costs you 1$. It is not required, and they do not advertise it in-game in any ways.
    I bought it just to help the devs, and I think it's the first IAP I ever bought. I just like how they have this feature but don't rub it in my face all the time :)

19. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    Power and Damage have done wonders for me so far. If you tap each skill it gives you some info about them.

So many questions about a 99 cents app... Buy it, you will have a blast.

You are being irrespecful to Guise.

I bought the coin doubler and coins pour in ever since.

:)

20. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Can you toggle the coin doubler on and off or once purchases does it shove in-game money at you without restraint?