Universal Scurvy Scallywags - (by Beep Games, Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Naked Snake

Naked Snake Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    I'm trying to figure out this game. I was put off when I died and had to start my progress on the map all over again. Are you expected to pay to revive yourself every time you die, or am I supposed to get good enough that I never die? Or do they expect you to reset your progress often... I just want to understand what I'm supposed to do or what other people are doing.

2. Enriana

Enriana Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2011
    East Coast, US
    I'm sure others will chime in so don't take me as The Authority, but kind of both. In the beginning you should be able to afford to revive yourself, but dying isn't the end of the world - or the fun. :p

When you die, you keep all the skills you've bought and all the clothes you've won (the ones with stats), plus all your quest items and I believe all your ships as well. You restart at level one, but right after dying you earn XP at (I think) double the typical rate, so you shouldn't have much of a problem getting back to your level - especially if you're dying earlier in the game.

If you're dying a lot and dying early, don't feel bad. This game has a bit of a learning curve, and is particularly difficult until you get the hang of it. (Which doesn't take too long, I promise.)

There are a number of helpful tips in this thread that have benefited me personally (Like this one or this one or this one), and just paging back to skim for tips/tricks/specific strategies and other information. As you can see, the devs are both active & helpful, so if you're stuck, you won't be for too long.

... aaand I talk a lot. TL;DR - Dying a lot is normal in the beginning so don't feel dumb, game takes a bit of getting used to, tips and help all over the thread, keep playing and you'll get better (and die less :p).

Oh, and bandages. If you get hurt in battle - as in, you don't die but you're attacked by a baddy bigger than you - you'll lose hearts. Bandages help you replenish hearts. Try to keep all three hearts as best you can - obviously, this helps with not dying, so make it a priority to grab any bandages you see. They are your friend.

3. Jrec15

Jrec15 Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2013
    One question: where do i go about getting a tall mast?? I see lots of ships need them but i have never come across one

4. oldgamer dude

oldgamer dude Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2013
    You'll get it randomly in the spinning jackpot game that's happens when you get a chest on the board.

5. Naked Snake

Naked Snake Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    Thanks, that was helpful. I'm getting better at controlling positioning now but I still get into bad situations. Are you progressing toward a final destination on the map, or is it just endless? What turned me off is I felt I had lost all my progress toward the end of the game when I died. Once I understand how everything works I think I can enjoy this game a lot more. But I like it a lot already.

6. MrHSakerEsq

MrHSakerEsq New Member

May 30, 2013
    Very good interesting game and concept excellently executed. Well done to the devs.

7. Fastbridge

Fastbridge Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Service advisor for Honda
    NYC, New York. USA
    This game is amazing!

8. TRB4

TRB4 Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Two things, firstly "matches" only get "stuck" when it is a result of an enemy swapping places with another item. Enemies can not make "matches" and that is when you will see 3 or more of the same item in a row.

Secondly, you can change your clothes during the game too, by tapping the pirate head on the map screen, then tapping the clothes icon to enter the clothing gallery, then tapping the clothes icon in the upper right corner.

9. Zevious Zoquis

Zevious Zoquis Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    Ah, that explains it. Thanks. So then, I guess that means the game is perfect! :D

One thing that helps a lot with the whole dying thing is to buy the coin doubler for a buck. The game is worthy of a two dollar expense. ;)

10. slowpc

slowpc Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Been working on the iCloud issue here myself and reporting it to the support guys and gals over there. They are working on the issue and I just can't wait for it to be fixed!

And Ron is amazing ....

11. Enriana

Enriana Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2011
    East Coast, US
    #191 Enriana, Jun 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
    I've considered getting the coin doubler, but I've actually never bought a coin/currency doubler in any game. After checking out the 'shop' screen and (ahem) realizing there was an actual in game currency shop and not just where you spend $$, I went and bought the doubler and now know what people are talking about when they ask about restock times. ;)

*facepalm*

So much love for this game!

12. fivejane

fivejane Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 23, 2009
    I really liked this game at first, but now that I've figured out what I assume is the basic strategy it has become kind of a slog. I'll spoiler tag it in case people don't want to read strategy.

Basically, I just move my guy to (say) the top-right corner and move all the enemies to the bottom left corner. Since I know where the fill blocks come from, I can even make sure the enemies start in the bottom left corner by doing upward matches on the left side of the screen or rightward matches on the bottom.

Then if I need to make a vertical match on the right half of the board, I make it in the up direction and on their half I use the down direction. Similar for right and left: in the top rows I make matches to the right and in the bottom rows to the left. The same strategy applies symmetrically to any other corner that my pirate is in.

When the enemies inevitably move towards me, I just make matches "behind" them in the correct direction, moving them back to their corner but not affecting me (since I don't share any rows or columns with them). Soon there is just a pile of frustrated monsters hanging out for as long as I want them to. I get my power up to arbitrary numbers by doing this, then kill them all at once. I haven't used a skill in ages.

I guess my questions are (1) is there a less grind-y way to win the levels? and (2) as the game progresses, does this strategy stop working? If [no] and [no], I don't know that I will enjoy pressing forward. The golem was a particularly long and boring fight since all he does is make it take longer to power up (but never moves out of the corner, so once his minions are gone he is completely powerless).

Anyway, I do like the game and the style, and figuring out the trick was fun. I bought the coin doubler to throw some money to the devs, and I'd do it again given the choice.

13. Jrec15

Jrec15 Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2013
    #193 Jrec15, Jun 9, 2013
    Thanks, eventually got one :) i think once you get an item it becomes purchasable in the store, too.

I'm really loving this game like everyone else. I had no plans of playing anything but kingdom rush frontiers this week but this stole my attention. (KRF is great too, though). One more question, does anyone have any additional info on how exactly combat works? I get crit and dodge. But to my understanding base damage, power damage, and your current power compared to the enemy's power are all thrown together into the battle. It seems if you have enough power to "overkill" you don't lose much in power built, but if it's a close fight you do. So.. The main benefit of increasing power damage & base damage is losing less built power after a fight, correct?

14. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Simple thing, but took me a while to figure out -- after the final fight of any level, swords get turned into platinum bars. Platinum bars are NOT created randomly, they only come from swords.

So right before the final fight, gold to swords is useful, and if your most common item is not swords, you can do the most common item to gold skill before gold to swords. You can get a lot of money this way.

You may still grind for quest items, but this makes grinding for gold matches obsolete.

15. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Love trying to finish levels without using any special power. And you really feel a learning curve kicking in.

16. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Newbie question and apologies if this has been asked before. Is there a way to recover lost hearts? I'm down to 1 and am at the end of Mermaid Island. I've learned a lot and really like the strategies in this game.

17. Zevious Zoquis

Zevious Zoquis Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    One thing I'd like would be the ability to have multiple saves under different names. I've got myself and my wife hooked here and we're playing on four different idevices and basically can only continue from whatever the last save point was on any device...

18. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    It offered me a bandages quest right after I lost my first heart; maybe your not far enough for the bandages quest, or maybe its random, dunno.

19. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    #199 y2kmp3, Jun 9, 2013
    Has anyone else figure out why the game randomly offers up "Unfinished Business" (by not completing an island) even though I truly cleared it? Is it because that island is MEANT NOT to be completed? I am thinking of starting the game from scratch (again), so want to clear it up first before doing so.

Also, is anyone else experiencing problems background this app? I try to background the app (by minimizing it), but it just closes instead of going into background.

20. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Seriously considering buying this. I generally do not like match 3 as I find them boring although I highly enjoyed Puzzle Craft and Dungeon Raid. This game sounds similar, anyone able to comment?