iPad Scummvm games

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by tadunne, Jan 5, 2009.

1. tadunne

tadunne Member

Oct 25, 2008
    I would love to play Monkey island on my iphone, but I'm not willing to jail break my phone. I wish Lucas arts could work with the Scummvm people and release these games in a packaged fashion, so Scummvm will become a game engine of sorts.

I think there was talking of an SDK version of the iphone port but I'm not sure if anything ever came of that?

Anyone know any more?

2. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member

Lucas arts as the copyright holders would never allow some third party to publish SCUMMVM to the app store. And unfortunately they're too stupid to see the demand for it and do it themselves.

Of course I've thought about adapting the jailbreak version to compile in the SDK for my own private use ;)

3. tadunne

tadunne Member

Oct 25, 2008
    I think that would be our only option :(

I have a mate with an SDK key if we could get an Xcode version that works with the SDK he could generate us some beta testing keys and away we go..

4. nickels

nickels Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Web Developer / Designer
    PA, USA
    Jailbreak it, my god it is so simple and does nothing to your iPhone but make it a jillion times better. Any issues just restore and you're back to having a fresh iPhone.

5. Broward

Broward Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Jax, Florida
    Can you still buy and sync from the App store if you jailbreak? Because it is totally worth it if so. I would love to play all the old Lucas Arts gems for the bajillionth time, but would not be willing to sacrifice all the great paid content.

6. nickels

nickels Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Web Developer / Designer
    PA, USA
    Yes, I do it all the time.

7. Broward

Broward Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Jax, Florida
    Sold. I think I will set aside some time tonight to make it happen.

8. tadunne

tadunne Member

Oct 25, 2008
    I would if it wasn't for all the posts complaining about certain games not working on jail broken phones!

9. zztfox

zztfox Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Would love to jailbreak, but I have an iPod Touch 2G...

10. doone128

doone128 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Hi. I'm jailbroken and can confirm that everything is just fine. If you have any problems you CAN restore to the standard iPhone/iPod firmware and your iPhone/iPod will be EXACTLY as it was before.

The only app I've had trouble with was Brothers in Arms. There is a simple solution to fixing that which involved installing SBSettings from Cydia, putting your device into Safe mode and then launching BIA. A reboot back to normal mode then leaves you with a working BIA.

You can really customise your iPhone when it is jailbroken and definately makes the device more desirable.

Try it, you won't regret it. Backup your device, jailbreak it and enjoy Cydia!

11. Brothers In Arms being one (I remember the blog comments on it). Someone just found this out on the BIA Price Drop thread here.

I have a 2g Touch, but even if I could, I don't think I'd bother. I'll just have to play the Monkey Island games on my Mac instead.

12. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Agreed same here...

13. would totally bust monkey island on my ipotch

14. Stop saying that word! ARGHHH!

15. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Hehheh, Blame my buddy Pablo, BTW I thought we cleared this up a long while back... IT'S IPOTCH FOO!!!! I can't find the thread but I will... ;)
    It was a general concensus I thought...

16. highonlife

highonlife Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    It annoys me when people say iTouch, let alone iPotch or whatever.

Anyway, I find it hard to comprehend people not jailbreaking. Even if it's only to get a video recorder and MMS, it's TOTALLY worth the time. THEN there's all the other impressive things that can be accomplished (snes, genisis, mame, nes, gb/c/a, winterboard, lockdown, 5 icon dock, and the list goes on.) There's pretty much no risk involved.

17. Noah

Noah Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Sr. Web Developer
    Atlanta, GA
    Except don't download the key vibrate Cydia app. It crashed my iPhone to a point where I had to RMA at the Apple Store and get a new one.

Only took 15 minutes, but still...