iPad Scribball now $.99!

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by zztfox, Dec 5, 2008.

1. zztfox

zztfox Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Have yet to get this game, wonder if anyone thinks it is worth it at $.99?

2. CrocStock

CrocStock Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Looks too simple tbh :p

3. Warhorse Games

Warhorse Games Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2008
    Software Engineer
    Ladera Ranch, CA
    Fun!

It is simple, but it's also lots of fun. The dev also has an update that is already waiting to be approved by apple that adds bombs, locked balls, wildcards and other such things that I'm really looking forward to. It's worth 0.99 for sure.

4. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    it's a very well made game. It could use that update that's coming though. The game never seems to end as it i now. It'll be great once the update is approved.

5. AndyKorth

AndyKorth Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Game Developer
    Hi everyone!
    We got a a little bit by Apple's review process. The price drop was supposed to take effect when the new release came out, but instead it was a few days early, when we submitted the app for review.

Anyway, you'll be happy to hear the update is now available and the special balls we included really adds a lot to the gameplay. Everyone who's tried it so far has really enjoyed it so, I'd encourage you to give it a try.

I'd also be happy to hear any comments or suggestions!

There's more information and a video here:
    http://howlingmoonsoftware.com/iPhoneScribBall.shtml

6. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    nice

WOW i haven't heard of this game until now! I think i'll definitely be checking this out (i'm at work now)... Great site and I like how the video starts playing right away... Very interesting concept and fun graphics

7. Thanks! It's a fairly simple game on the surface, but we've put a fair amount of work into it. Especially so if you count the hundreds of hours I've put into developing my open source physics library http://code.google.com/p/chipmunk-physics/. As far as our graphic style, neither of us are artists and we figured that a consistent style was most important. The hand drawn look was something that we knew we could do consistently and I think it turned out really nice.

With the latest version, which I think is available now. Beyond adding most of the special ball types from the desktop version, I also optimized the game more. This allowed me to increase the physics quality some and beef up the particle effects more and still have a smaller CPU and less power consumption!

Hope you enjoy it!

8. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    The update made the game a lot better. I still wish it was little faster or that there were different modes. The game seems to go on for a long time no matter what. It's definitely worth getting though. It's a pretty clever game.

9. I guess it depends on how you play it. I'm pretty aggressive and go for the large combos. That tends to make games last only a couple minutes. I've seen a few people that like to play mostly using the accelerometer as well. Not something we had originally expected. That would certainly make a game last a lot longer. What changes would you suggest given the way that you play the game? We could make the bar at the bottom of the screen accelerate faster maybe, but that isn't a very fun change.

Speaking of long play times, I also added a save on quit feature. People rightly grumbled at our lack of saving. Initially we figured that nobody would care given what we thought were relatively short play times. I'm sure that will make a lot of people happy as well.

We have a couple of ideas that we want to try out for extra game modes as well, but first we need to do some code cleanup first so that it's actually possible to add them. Don't worry, 1.1 won't be the last ScribBall update. ;)

10. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    The save on quitting feature is very welcome!

Speeding the bar up would make the game more fun if it was added as a new difficulty level.

An option to change the gravity could be fun as well. It'd be interesting to turn it up so balls seem heavier. That would especially make accelerometer use more interesting. Again, it might work as an extra game mode or option.

Do you have any other games planned? I usually don't like match 3 or 4 games, but this is definitely a great take on it!

BTW, since you asked, I tend to play this less aggressively to get a higher score.

11. Actually... Now that I'm thinking about it, in the initial release of ScribBall gravity was low to prevent the physics from getting mushy. Now that I optimized it a bit more and was able to increase the physics quality, I could probably double gravity as well. That could work out well as a "fast" game mode with higher gravity and a faster bar. That would make the tilt more responsive and give a higher sense of urgency to make matches.

We do have a couple other ideas in the pipeline. We are in the planning stages of a planning a level based physics puzzle game. I've also just started on a new stunt/racing game based loosely on our ByteRacer gamelet. We just started a blog recently: http://howlingmoonsoftware.com/wordpress/. I'll be posting more details on there once I hammer out some of the details.

I usually don't like match 4 sorts of games either, but I think that the realtime physics and gameplay really adds a lot of character to the game. :)

12. snoderlye

snoderlye Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Female
    WV
    I enjoy this game for the ease of it. It is just fun to tilt and watch them pop! Other game modes would be great! But please keep a mode like it is currently too - it is relaxing fun. ;)

I am glad the save on exit feature is in the next version! Thanks!

13. AndyKorth

AndyKorth Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Game Developer
    Thanks for the comments and questions, NotYou. Like Scott said, we'll be posting stuff in our blog.

One of the things that I want to get around to doing is adding new gameplay modes to the desktop version of ScribBall, and then port them to the iPhone version.

I'd like to see how the iPhone gameplay (with the bar at the bottom that fills up) works on the desktop. We have more ideas for extra balls that we've thrown around before, like a laser ball, freeze ball, etc. We played around with meteor balls that were super heavy, but they just kind of made a mess and made things frustrating. It takes a lot of playtesting to eliminate ideas that don't work out well.

Difficulty levels like you mentioned is a really good idea.. we should have thought of that. Hehe, thanks!

We've also got a larger game in the pipeline, but it's months out, so I won't torture you with the wondrous details yet ;)