iPad ScribBall is Here!

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by break5, Sep 14, 2008.

1. break5

break5 Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    And it's for $3.99. Anyone planning to review it? The video before made it look interesting...

2. You beat me to it! I guess it's good to see the thread started from somebody else though. :)

YouTube:
    Sneak Peek Video
    Extended Gameplay Video (No talking in this one ;) )

Can't wait to see what you guys think!

[​IMG]

3. raps27

raps27 Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2008
    do u plan on having like a one day sale or somethin, cuz I'm looking at some games and this cost the most $$ that I'm looking at

4. majormauser

majormauser Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Nope it ain't ....seems the link is down! I want this game I love it on the Mac

5. The App Store was acting flaky for most of the day. Links into the App store didn't work among other things.

It seems that they've fixed it now.

6. networkman

networkman Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2008
    toronto, canada
    Good game.

scrib-ball is an interesting game.

four or more touching, explodes the balls.

be sure to jiggle the iphone to move the balls around. (kinda not mentioned in the intro).

when you pop a ball (to get balls together), you add time.

when you pop (explode) chains (touching of 4 or more balls) you get time back.

unique play. recommended.

*first time i played i didn't know i could jiggle the board to move the balls. lol.

i will be looking forward to new games from these guys.

btw adding more sounds would be neat. change the sounds as the score increases etc. please put up a worldwide score-board.

nice work.

7. TSP

TSP Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Male
    Teacher.
    Sweden
    What is the aim of the game? I bought iSplume and got disapointed about there being no unlimited or survival mode, just 20 stages of reaching a set goal in the shortest time. Is there any casual play mode that let´s you play as long as you like in Scrib-ball?

8. different

different Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    There's a video on the developers site, showing a full game:

http://howlingmoonsoftware.com/iPhoneScribBall.shtml

As previously mentioned, groups of 4 'explode' and give you more time. If you 'pop' single balls randomly you will lose time. The time is indicated by the coloured bar at the bottom.

This would leave me to believe that it is in fact an unlimited game.

9. TSP

TSP Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Male
    Teacher.
    Sweden
    Thanks for the info, will strongly consider getting it as soon as my current games go stale. Tried the mac-version and liked it and guessing it is even better on the iphone when you can shake it up a bit.

10. majormauser

Sep 14, 2008
    The Balls that explode and move the mass would be a good thing to have... or am I just not good enough of a player on the iPhone?

11. TSP

TSP Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Male
    Teacher.
    Sweden
    Bought it and liking it a lot. One important thing is missing though unless I missed it, how do you pause? And for future updates some kind of resume would be nice. Otherwise highly entertaining game.

12. vandy1997

vandy1997 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2008
    NJ
    This looks like a fun app. I will try it out tonight. It has a very laid-back feel to it; and it's not very formal. I like that for a change once in a while. An unlimited playing option would be cool for those people who just want to keep playing it!

I am seeing a lot of apps that do not save their state and resume when you click the home button. Also, there are a lot of them without a pause feature - we really need that pause feature in these apps!! Tripple tap or something! I thought that Apple required all apps to save their state when a call comes in and to restart in their saved state. Is that only for phone calls, or should this rule also apply when you click the home button?

arn (and others as well) - is there a good site that announces and reviews quality apps in general (not focused solely on games)? I know that iLounge has had some reviews of different types of apps and makes some recommendations, but it would be great to have a site that reviews apps (with pros and cons) and tells us which one seems to be the best. This would be useful for those apps that seem to appear in mass numbers in iTunes, such as unit converter apps, coin flip apps, dieting apps, tip apps (iLounge did this, but more come out each day), sudoku apps (iLounge), solitaire apps (iLounge), etc.

Sorry for threadjacking! Thanks for any input from everybody!

13. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
  14. vandy1997

vandy1997 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2008
    NJ
    Thank you. It's a start, but it still doesn't group and compare like apps and tell me which one is better or worse and why. This will become a huge issue in iTunes because they are allowing a lot of certain types of apps, and, since you can't try them, you end up spending money on a lot of junky apps. So if a trusted source provides pros and cons (and more than 4 or 5 screenshots) of an app (video, at least), I can decide which one suits me best. And I guess that the pros/cons would have to be updated as the apps get updated, and new apps would have to be compared as well. It's not easy, I know, but it would be great to have. iLounge has some interesting reviews of sudoku apps, solitaire apps, etc., but the reviews are limited and are not usually updated as new similar apps are introduced. In terms of gaming apps of the racing genre, such a site would compare Cro-Mag Rally, GTS World Racing, Asphalt 4, Moto Chaser, Poel Position:Remix, and Crash Bandicoot Nitro Kart, and provide you with pros and cons for each and a recommendation (ratings have to be with apples - no stars). :)

15. AndyKorth

AndyKorth Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Game Developer
    Hello everyone,
    Thanks for all the positive comments. We're glad people are enjoying it. I saw a few comments regarding pausing, that's something we'll be sure to do soon!

I figured while I'm here, I'd post a coupon code for the Mac version of ScribBall. We recently dropped the price by $5 and you can use the coupon code "TUAW" for another $5, for a total price of $5... which is a lot of 5s.

http://howlingmoonsoftware.com/scribball.shtml

Anyway, thanks for all the comments!

16. majormauser

Sep 14, 2008
    That IS a lot of $5 ... I took you up on that.

Thanks