iPad ScribBall graphics update...

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by BrettArchibald, Feb 16, 2009.

1. BrettArchibald

BrettArchibald Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Self-employed interactive designer.
    Formerly Zimbabwe - now England.
    #1 BrettArchibald, Feb 16, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
    Who thought it was a good idea to change the graphics for the game ScribBall? :confused:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Jeez, what were they thinking?

Put me down for a vote to swiftly change it back to how it was please!
    Thanks!

P.S: The screens that are currently showing in the App-Store are still the OLD screens, which is misleading and somewhat deceptive.
    I'd suggest the developers at least change these for now...

2. pante

pante Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    somewhere
    i didn't even know there is such a game. :)

3. Phi6

Phi6 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    It looks much better. Definitely emphasizing the "crayon" look, whereas the old-style could have easily been misunderstood for "crappy amateur graphics".

ALOT more polished now IMO.

4. i can't understand why there can't be an in-game option to switch between the two -_-""

but yeah i like the new one better

5. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Ooh, I like the new look too.
    Watched a video of this yesterday and might give it a go at some point.

6. BrettArchibald

Jul 17, 2008
    #6 BrettArchibald, Feb 16, 2009
    Apart from having a connection with the "punny" name of the app, how does "emphasizing the "crayon" look" make for better game-play?
    ie: Once we've had that initial little smile over the whole ScribBall / Scribble play on words, all we're left with now is some very wishy-washy bland and dull colours, unlike the previous bright, lively colours they had before.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against the scribble look-and-feel, but they really could stand be brightened up a whole lot!
    So the balls could still be scribbled, but with a bright marker-pen, rather than a blunt wax crayon! :)

7. DanM

DanM Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    England
    Looks better than before!

8. Phi6

Phi6 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    #8 Phi6, Feb 16, 2009
    That's a matter of opinion, they've just chosen to go with this particular style.

What I'm saying though, regardless of art style, is that the new graphics definitely have much more of a polished quality than the original. Of course it doesn't affect gameplay.

Cyan, magenta and hyperlink blue from the original design are typical colours that just don't go in harmony together. Whereas the new graphics, although in your opinion duller and not as "lively", are definitely more consistent and polished whilst giving out a clear theme for their preferred look and feel.

9. sam the lion

sam the lion Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
    the first screen seems like screaming "I-wanna-be-like-the-second-screen-but-I-can't". The new one looks so much better to me. Anyway I understand the bright color argument... maybe if you write to the developers they might accept to put an in-game option switch between both.

anyway, what about the game? is it any good?

10. BrettArchibald

Jul 17, 2008
    #10 BrettArchibald, Feb 16, 2009
    I would argue that the colours are not meant to go together, and should rather be as "contrasty" to each other as possible. The point of the game is to separate the various colours into groups and eliminate them.
    The difference between all the colours before was blatantly obvious, and whereas now I can still tell them apart certainly without struggling, they have all been made much more similar to each other and the variations between them aren't nearly as marked as they were before.
    And that does indeed make for a difference in actual gameplay (bearing in mind also that is somewhat of a "speed" game).

By the way, related to my point above about how it makes a difference in actual gameplay, for everyone who has given their opinion here, I'd be very curious to know if you've actually played the game on the iPhone, or if your opinions are merely based on the two static screenshots that you can see above.
    I'm of the opinion that this may have an effect on your decision...

11. Phi6

Phi6 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Yes, but it doesn't look very nice.

I've not played the game, but from a marketing point of view it will probably attract more sales based on the second screenshot.

12. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    I like the first screenshot better.

13. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    The new 2.0 version of ScribBall (for Mac OS X) has the option to choose between the original theme, the crayon theme (which is actually called "Monet"), and many other themes....why can't there be a settings menu to switch? That way everyone would be happy :D.

14. HJJ

HJJ Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    this is one update I don't really have much of an opinion on. The new colors are nice in the game. The new icon looks a bit like a bunch of multi colored grapes. Overall I'm happy with either. I hadn't played this game in a while and the update caused me to fire it up again. It looks nice.

15. case

case Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    Interaction Designer
    Michigan
    this is still my favorite app on the platform. most excellent update.

if you were to add an internet multiplayer version where the goal is to flood your opponent i would crap myself :eek:

16. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    I like the new look better.

17. BrettArchibald

Jul 17, 2008
    Good idea! I'd like to see that implemented into the iPhone version of the game...

18. BrettArchibald

Jul 17, 2008
    Appreciate the response there, but as I said earlier: for everyone who has given their opinion here, I'd be very curious to know if you've actually played the game on the iPhone, or if your opinions are merely based on the two static screenshots that you can see above.

19. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    Haven't played it.

20. butters

butters Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    I haven't played the game so i can only judge from those two screenshots. From what i see there, i like the second one way more. It now has some artsy style to it, that seems to work out really well. The first one isn't bad either (compared to the graphics of other iDevice Titles), but i still like the second one better.