scoreloop vs open feint vs plus+

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Jamie, Jun 17, 2009.

1. moctezumagames

moctezumagames Active Member

Oct 15, 2009
    designer
    Barcelona
    we are using Agon Online because of the good support they bring to developers.
    I can say that I had really fast solutions to our issues.

2. razi139

razi139 Member

Dec 27, 2009
    For me the clear winner is plus+. Achevements, push challenges, friends, best inteface on any app, and unified leaderboards. Tried feint, really dislike it.

3. Vingdoloras

Vingdoloras Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2009
    As a gamer, I like OpenFeint most. It has Chat, Achievements (and does it have challenges? :D). Many games use it... Some Apps seem to be more attractive just because they have this OpenFeint mini icon in their App Icon...

I have never heard of Scoreloop before :/

Plus+ feels to artificial, done without love... to me it feels like they just wanted to create a kind of premium "Openfeint" but failed...

4. Vingdoloras

Vingdoloras Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2009
    AH, I see, opinions are widely spread :D

MIght it be possible to have OF AND plus+? xD I don't think so, but would be a nice thing, huh?

5. The prez 12521

The prez 12521 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    What realy turns me on to the new of is multiplayer

6. Acidbottle

Acidbottle Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    weirdly, despite even OF fans dislike of the silver border icon style, a whole bunch of updates over xmas included them. i guess devs decided to ignore this thread ;)

whats worse, in games like hook champ, i grit ma teeth with its inclusion and descide to disable it. the game then demands i log into it every 5 mins gah! all the other score systmes run quietly in the background but OF decides to leap about everywhere like some demented cheap tart.

mini squadron is 25% less polished with its inclusion :(

7. Junde

Junde Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Business Development @ Scoreloop!
    Beijing, China
    Well now you have = )

and we're here on this forum too. gasp! :eek:

and also on www.Scoreloop.com

Our latest development is that we've gone cross platform to enable iPhone and Android gamers to challenge and interact with each other. Do visit us if you're interested in what we're about.

Cheers,
    Junde
    http://Twitter.com/Scoreloop
    http://Twitter.com/Junde

8. KGameLover1

KGameLover1 Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2009
    Student
    Ohio
    Plus+ is the definite winner.

It's available now.

All devs use this please, plus with Plus+ (no pun intended) you get free advertising (sorta) in the New Games section.

9. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009

OF still has my vote.

10. WellSpentYouth

WellSpentYouth Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    Do you mean the new games section on the App Store? If so, if seems like plenty of OpenFeint games are getting featured too.

11. Ivan001

Ivan001 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2008
    I have just started a new game and I will definitely be using Open Feint.

Mainly because it appears to be the most popular (for the games that I have installed anyway).

Ivan

12. WellSpentYouth

WellSpentYouth Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    I am using OpenFeint and so far I really like it. To be fair, I tried AGON and it was great (especially the support, OpenFeint dev support, on the other hand, has not been great for me), but OpenFeint is more popular and it has a better UI and more features.

13. travisdunn

travisdunn Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Developer
    Amsterdam, NL
    I personally prefer to retain neurotic control over stats, high scores, achievements, etc. and for my first game Rogueship I created a high score server for that reason. I'm thinking of adding OpenFeint to the next update, though, purely for the social gaming hooks.

I'm skeptical that it works as a cross-promotional tool for any but the most well-known games, but I'm definitely interested in trying it out, and the integration all looks quite slick.

14. Morrigan

Morrigan Member

Dec 31, 2009
    New York
    I've tried playing a game that had OpenFeint, but every time I try to use the OpenFeint features the game crashes. I wonder if its the app itself or something else...

15. gottaa

gottaa Active Member

I'm finally getting back on the horse with development and looking at the choices available.

My experience of Open Feint on every game I play with it, is it slows things down, can be obtrusive and doesn't really offer me any advantages over for example ScoreLoop which appears much less intrusive. The issue though is the userbase and everyone seems to want OpenFeint integration over anything (even hosting the scores myself), and I just don't get it.

Will OpenFeint actually help to drive sales ? All I really want is something to handle my online high scores, but do like the idea of implementing Achievements which exist in both OpenFeint and ScoreLoop.

16. GamerOutfit

GamerOutfit Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2008
    I use Agon and it works wonderfully but I am running into the fact that users seems to want OF or Scoreloop (Plus+ isn't something I can get into given the closed nature of it.)

17. FancyFactory

FancyFactory Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2009
    software development
    Germany
    I switched from OpenFeint to Plus+ with Age of Tribes, mostly because the Plus+ platform seems to be a nice way to advertise the game. I really like OpenFeint, but its more quantity then quality there and its much harder to get noticed with a new game.

18. Chillingo

Chillingo Well-Known Member

Chillingo's social platform Crystal SDK revealed in-game

Includes skinning system to blend in with each game

Link on pocketgamer.co.uk

19. gottaa

gottaa Active Member

Chillingo one looks interesting, any idea on ETA till the SDK is released ? My biggest issue still with OF even after getting the standalone app is that it just seems sluggish on my 3G. And while I do see the advantage of Achievements I don't want them if it makes the game feel clunky. I'm starting a full re-write of Splitz this weekend and want to include something, be it Agon (keep hearing good things about), ScoreLoop, OpenFeint or the Chillingo one, Plus+ when I last looked at I discounted very quickly though I can't remember why.

The thing is as other have noticed OpenFeint is the one users seem to keep requesting, but something is still holding me back from it. Well this weekend I'll perhaps just focus on picking one and then getting things moving

Edit: Looking at Plus+ the reason I maybe discounted it was it wasn't an Open SDK yet :)

20. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    I haven’t noticed OpenFeint being sluggish myself (3G) but just to clarify what you mean: it doesn’t slow down the rest of your game does it? You mean that just the OF screens themselves are sluggish?