iPad SciFly

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by NotYou, Oct 30, 2008.

1. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    #1 NotYou, Oct 30, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  2. vaelsh

vaelsh Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Rexburg, ID
    Buying it now. I will shortly post my feelings about it.

3. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    I'm going to wait until I hear you think. It looks pretty fun, though.

4. vaelsh

vaelsh Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Rexburg, ID
    #4 vaelsh, Oct 30, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
    Hard but sweet

Alright. This is the first Star Fox-like game for the iPhone and iPod Touch... and it is awesome! You fly to begin with in the Avenger which is one out of four ships/jets that can be unlocked. Yes I did say unlocked. This is one of the first good games with GOOD unlockables. Anyways, you also start with one world open to you with two others to unlock. The game play goes as follows:

You fly in a third person view, shooting the enemy ships out of the sky before they kill you. It's dogfighting with space ships and jets. Each ship has its own special weapon to use against the enemy fighters. You play rounds or matches (whichever you want to call them), in which your goal is to eliminate all enemy fighters within a period of time, for example, 2 minutes. I have only just survived (aka 'won') my first match. All flight control is done through the accelerometer and small on-screen buttons including boost, shoot, and roll left or right. It will take a little bit of time to get the settings just right so you can find the perfect flying settings, but it is worth it. After each match, even you crash and burn, you get x amount of credits. If you hit a hill or the ground, you explode. But even if it says you failed, you will still get a few credits, like 2 or 3 of them. If you claim victory over the enemy, you get a lot of credits, like 40 credits. It's certainly a fun game with accelerometer sensitivity setup and starting angle setup also. I recommend to all Starfox lovers and the rest of us iPhone gamers alike.

Edit: Whoops, my bad. You just have to kill a certain number of the enemy, not all of them.

5. VictorStar

VictorStar Member

Oct 18, 2008
    There's an update!

6. vaelsh

vaelsh Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Rexburg, ID
    Yep and another on this week with ranking and stuff.

7. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    #7 NotYou, Nov 10, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
    Scifly update...

There's a new update for Scifly. I only played it for a minute, but it seems to add a lot. The ships are upgradeable now, which is the most noticeable difference. It seems the AI is a lot tougher too. I don't know if that was intentional, but I'm glad to see it. The graphics are also improved.

There's a Blue Sky update too, but I haven't tried yet.

8. jborislow

jborislow Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2008
    Thanks for the info.. looks interesting...

9. jlake02

jlake02 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Manager
    Los Angeles
    The dev emailed me and told me about this.. he also has something else (SciFly related) coming, but I can't say what. :cool:

10. polyplay

polyplay Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Minnesota
    The update really adds a lot. I like the new target lock-ons, and the weapons have really been juiced up. The Viper is almost like cheating now. :)

I'm glad I paid the $3 for it before the update, but after this update there really is little reason not to get this game.

It is nice knowing that there are continued updates to the game. I'm looking forward to more ships/locations, but there's this nagging feeling I have that playing a more ambush-style game on a sprawling map (like the ones in Nanosaur) would be heaven.

11. vaelsh

vaelsh Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Rexburg, ID
    #11 vaelsh, Nov 11, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
    I talk with him a lot and I know what's coming too... he he he... (TOP SECRET)

I gave him the idea for the ____, the ____, and the __________. He's getting closer, but it will still be a little while...

I think planets are pretty too! He he he he...

12. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    Wow, sounds good to me!!

13. vaelsh

vaelsh Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Rexburg, ID
    #13 vaelsh, Nov 11, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
    Multiplayer is not the word(s)... he he he... try again! Good guess though.

14. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Finally bought it. Tried it for 2 hours but find the followings:

1. Possible balance problem: after upgrading to Avenger +2, at Experienced level, I keep being shot down, but since the missile tracking is too good, the game keeps going on! I abort the game for other priorities, when I still have over 8 minutes of game time.

2. Random crashes experienced.

In general, quite enjoyable and since I have a "ton" of cash, I am going to unlock more materials to try on.

15. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    This is a fun little game but it needs more unlockables, I bought it yesterday and have already unlocked all of the content.
    Also it crashes every couple minutes.

16. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    It's interesting but it keeps crashing every time I try to play Time Attack mode (Recruit level plus the default spaceship), even after restarting the iPhone.

Is the developer following this thread/forum?

17. SLDROFHLA

SLDROFHLA Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2008
    scifly

scifly looks fun, however, what are the controls like, I hated controls on zone warrior, is it like that? thanks

18. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    I think this is like the fourth scifly thread we've had.:)

The controls are good, but I bit different what you might expect. You roll by using buttons and turn by tilting the phone. You can reverse that if you want. It works well though. I definitely recommend it. The dev does a lot of big updates too.

19. It's your lucky day! Lite version now available here. Downloading it myself to see what I think of it.

20. SLDROFHLA

SLDROFHLA Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2008
    yeah, and tbd 2! what an awesome day! I don't like scifly now that I tried it