Out Now Sayonara Wild Hearts (by Simogo and Annapurna)

Discussion in 'Apple Arcade' started by Boardumb, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA

2. GamingUnicorn

GamingUnicorn Member

Sep 18, 2019
    Male
    This is one of my favorite games of the year on ANY platform. I've never played anything like it.

andsoitgoes and Hoodin like this.
  3. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Your comment makes me want to try this game but do you think it’ll have the same effect with no sound? Or is the music not too intrusive? Just where it mentions about it being a pop music and the like which I really don’t like at all.

4. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Definitely would not be the same without the music. It’s what makes the whole game an incredible experience IMO.

andsoitgoes likes this.
  5. Morbus Iff

Morbus Iff Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    I wanted to like this game. I've been a fan of "weird" music games for decades now, and one of my favorite gaming moments of all time takes place in ye olde GITAROO MAN. But, SAYONARA WILD HEARTS just didn't "work" for me. The visuals are amazing, I totally agree. But the gameplay isn't really there. Some stages are finished in what seems like 30 seconds or less. You don't get much of a chance to get into the "rhythm" (hah! I made a music-game joke) at that length. Some levels just fly by so fast that all you're trying to do is "get through it" and "avoid the tree" instead of "get a gold score". It's a visual "feast", sure, but I just can't see myself going back and trying to get gold scores on everything.

6. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    I personally adore the game. It’s mesmerizing. There are some short levels but others are pretty darn long. Getting great reviews on Switch but glad to have it as part of Apple Arcade. :)

7. bx59

bx59 Member

Dec 2, 2016
    I’d say the music is pretty electro-pop, not so “pop”, and within the game flow I think you won’t be having problems w that. Also this is the first time ever I’m playing this game, and it’s one of the best things I’ve ever seen on iphone.

andsoitgoes likes this.
  8. Nonstickron

Nonstickron Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Graphic Artist / Pre-Press
    Central Florida
    I played a few levels. Is the pint just getting into the right lane to get the goodies? Seemed very shallow. Does it get more involved?

9. Hoodin

Hoodin Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2016
    I feel like Annapurna looked into my heart and made the game they saw there! Do not sleep on this experience!

andsoitgoes likes this.
  10. Barak

Barak Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Beat it with mostly bronze and silver. Took me a few hours. If you liked Rez (I loved it) this is an amazing Pop music voyage. More than just an interactive music video, less than a full game experience. It is phenomenal and worth a month of paid AA just to play it.

11. kozz84

kozz84 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    This games is getting a lot of traction from various gaming websites and is getting a lot of positive reviews. Can't wait to play it.

It's available on other consoles, but it's $13 on Switch. So far the apple arcade has an amazing value.

12. Wicked8146

Wicked8146 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 17, 2009
    Dinosaur hunter
    Los Angeles
    This game is insane! But awesome.

13. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Had a quick go. Very impressed. The first levels basic but the visuals and sound makes it exceptional. Very polished.

14. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    Just played for a few minutes but I have to say: this game is stunning! It really impressed me so far.

It's a delight playing it.

Togo likes this.
  15. bacon-N-eggs

bacon-N-eggs Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2012
    Anyone feel like the even high sensitivity control it too slow?

Does not feel like I can switch lanes fast enough to even attempt gold. Am I doing something wrong? IPhone X max on beta 13.1

16. Morbus Iff

Morbus Iff Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Exactly this. On some levels, the controls are really sluggish, either when I tap, slide, or use a controller. And then, on the very next level, I'm moving around without any problems. I have begun to assume it's level-specific and deliberate.

17. Nonstickron

Nonstickron Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Graphic Artist / Pre-Press
    Central Florida
    Yeah, I can't get over bronze on anything. I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong or if there's something that I'm going to get later that will let me come back and achieve higher scores. Artistically it's great. Gameplay is a little...flat, for me.

18. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Gitaroo Man was SO GOOD. I've never found anything like that game since, unfortunately.

I mostly agree with what you are saying here. The visuals are incredible but the gameplay feels a little shallow and goes by a little too fast for me. I'm still going to stick with it, though. I'm trying to reframe my expectations as more of an "interactive music video" than a game.

Morbus Iff likes this.
  19. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    what does “game” even mean?

20. fiskadoro

fiskadoro Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    This one is stunning visually and aurally, though the gameplay is simple and the sensitivity is off, the atmosphere of it makes up for a lot. I like that Apple Arcade allows you to play such games for just $5 a month, alongside others, whereas forking out $5 for this one alone may not have been considered much value for money as it's over pretty quickly.