iPad Save Kitty - simply cruel?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by pante, Jan 18, 2009.

1. pante

pante Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    somewhere
    http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=302061535&mt=8

here is a description straight from dev:

"The kitty got lost in a very dangerous place. Grab him and try to keep him out of harms way. Avoid the spinning blades of death. Every cat likes milk so try and drink as much as you can to restore some of your health.
    How long can you keep the little kitty alive?"

it looks very... interesting :)

2. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

WTF? Is 2009 the year of the strange iPhone games? I guess Linux will have to wait for next year. I mean, have devs gone crazy? I guess this is a testament to the ease of use of the iPhone SDK.

3. Cats are evil little g!ts anyway!

Hey Brewster- probably not worth quoting another post when yours are the only two in the thread mate- I think we know which post you are replying to ;)

4. brewstermax

Well, that is true. I figured that the sheer boredom would have someone else come in, and say something similar. Either way. ;). I like dogs better.

5. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    You're trying to save the cat, though. You can't blame the dev if it's head falls off and squirts blood everywhere.

6. Lunchbox

Lunchbox Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    its like dev's are still drunk from new years eve haha

7. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    that must be a state-of-the-art physics engine they're using.

8. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Hey hey now!

I'm a cat person (by which I mean I own a cat...not that I'm a cat/human hybrid like that chick in that Cat People movie...although she was pretty hot...)

You're right, though. They are little evil creatures. Right now mine is perched precariously near some glass bowls I have over my cabinets because he wants me to feed him and if I don't he's bound to cause one of them to crash onto the floor.

Friggin' cat knows the art of blackmail.

9. OahuSurf

OahuSurf Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2008
    Game looks pretty fun, i'd definitely DL it if it were free, not gooing to pay .99 cents for it though.

10. SmallSoldiers81

SmallSoldiers81 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    oHiO
    wow that cat might as well be named the Godfather

11. RM imagery

RM imagery Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Photographer (interiors, architecture, abstract ar
    Long Island, NY
    Would you pay for it if it was G. Bush's head instead of the cat?

oh no, that was not politically correct!

12. Stevenup7002

Stevenup7002 Member

Jan 16, 2009
    What next, controlling a frog trying to cross a busy road to get to your lilly pad?! I swear, designers are underpaid these days :eek:

13. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    please tell me you're intentionally referencing frogger. I don't know why, but I have to know :confused:

14. brewstermax

Perhaps. I dislike Dick Cheney more, though. He wouldn't have been so bad, if it weren't for the Dick.

15. spacecowgoesmoo

spacecowgoesmoo Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Composer / Level Designer @ Bovinedragon Software
    Los Angeles, USA
    Hey, my favorite webcomic did an arc on evil kittens a while ago! (Their other stuff's usually not this violent :p)

(Lotsa Blood)
    http://www.sluggy.com/daily.php?date=021025

16. MCRrokz

MCRrokz Active Member

Dec 23, 2008
    HaHa, you have a point.

17. Master Shake

Master Shake Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    This game is free right now if anyone wanted to try it.

18. beat me to it

this looks hilarious : D

19. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    #20 Donburns99, Jan 25, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
    Interesting game, biggest downfall is that there is no tilt controls.

Controlling the kitty with your finger means part of the screen will be blocked at all times.

In a game where seeing every bit of the screen is vital to avoiding saws, this can be a problem.

Fun game though, all and all. Long as you don't take it too seriously and get offended.

An online scoring system would be nice to see in a future update.

I like how the instructions of how to play are blended into the background.

Having more background environments available would also be a nice addition to see in a future update.

Even though it remembers your name for the high score input, I can't seem to find a way to submit the name again without having to retype it. Once you press the textbox, the name clears and you have to input it again. Seems pointless to remember the previous name but offer no solution to resubmit it.

As I continue playing, the touch controls are becoming more natural and less of an issue. I'd still like to see an option for tilt controls though. Would be a new twist to playing this game.

Beyond the initial game, there is nothing more. There is no story, there is no depth. We do not know why the kitty is in this situation and there is no outcome other than eventual death. You cannot save the kitty, like the title suggests. So besides beating your best time, the replay value is low. I doubt this will remain on my iDevice after trying it out right now.

The menu screen is simple and well made. I like the fencing used and it accomplishes the look and feel of the game well. The kitty looks does trapped and needing saved. You see stationary saws all around behind the fencing and the kitties eyes moving back and forth in panic. The buttons look very natural in the environment. I really do like how the menu was made for this title, it's rare that a menu so well done.

Just noticed the faint paw prints in the background also, nice touch.

Am now done with this game, besides it bring well made and a nice concept, there is little reason to keep playing beyond initial impressions right now.

Best time: 27.6 seconds.