Universal Saturday Morning RPG - (by Joystick Labs, LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Apr 4, 2012.

1. MightyRabbitJosh

MightyRabbitJosh Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Programmer and Designer at Mighty Rabbit Studios
    Holly Springs, NC
    For those of you that don't want to wait any longer, I threw up another code in ActiveWorlds for an early download of Saturday Morning RPG.

2. shyguy3

shyguy3 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2010
    Sweet Jesus! I don't think I've seen an ios game get so many positive reviews and so many PRAISES like I have with this one. These comments have made me even more excited for this now. Can't wait for 11pm.:D

3. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Now out in the US!!!!!

4. MightyRabbitJosh

Nov 16, 2011
    Holly Springs, NC
    Wow, why do things launch at 11? This is amazing seeing the game available for the first time. I really hope you all enjoy it!

5. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    I tell you right now, that this is one of the games where after playing only about 5 minutes of it, I can already tell that it is going to be phenomenal.

6. MightyRabbitJosh

Nov 16, 2011
    Holly Springs, NC
    Awesome, its really great to hear things like this. Even if we aren't a commercial success, it seems like everyone really likes what we made. Thanks again!

7. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    You really should stop counting yourself out Josh. :( What you've got here is shockingly good and I'm sure will be a commercial success. Wait till you land a spot on New and Noteworthy. ;)

8. MightyRabbitJosh

Nov 16, 2011
    Holly Springs, NC
    I'll be more positive from here on out, haha. It's just hard to be subjective when you've stared at a game for close to two years - add to that all the publisher feedback we got when we were searching for one. That stuff will crush the souls of even the most confident developers.

On another note, if any one needs tips or tricks for battles/quests feel free to ask.

9. Ben!

Ben! Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Does this support iCloud saving?

10. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I am curious to see how this will do, in a perfect world it would land on the too 25 free downloads and draw attention to demand for quality rpg titles.

11. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    Sadly, even the best of games can get hidden in the massive realm of the AppStore.

12. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Hahaha. Awesome. I would go gay for Edgar Wright.

DON'T

;)

That said this game is excellent, but I can't play it. The endless tapping it just too hard for me :(

13. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Well, it's good to see I'm not alone in this regard. The very first battle with the two wimpy soldiers probably took me 15-20 minutes to complete... I'm just miserable with timing and rythym type games, so all my special attacks after charging up would miss, then I could only land the minimum punches of 2 points of damage due to the same mechanic.

It's a shame. I love the concept and looks, but I just can't play it either. I would pay for a way to turn off all the touch-at-this-exact-moment stuff so it would play like a more traditional turn based RPG :D

14. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

You really wanna tell us that there are Publisher around who said no they won`t publish this Game under their Flag?

I don't know how far the Build was you Folks did showed around but I really would like to know how far the shown Build was because it`s hard to believe those office sitter didn`t see the potential of this Franchise.

If it was just about the Money Part you Guys don`t have to explain anything...

15. toythatkills

toythatkills Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Thames Ditton, UK
    #95 toythatkills, Apr 5, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
    The battle system in this is an absolute chore. I've played for something like half an hour and I just can't force myself to go on, no matter how fun the concept or nice the graphics. It's just, ugh.

I can't work out why I'm forced to power up before every single attack. Why can't I just, I don't know, be powered up? All it does is make every attack take five times as long as it should.

It feels like battles that should be over in a minute actually take five minutes, and there's really no benefit to the player because those extra four minutes are just tapping the screen and there's zero fun in it.

If you're going for that 16-bit battle system feel, you should probably play some 16-bit RPGs first and see how streamlined and quick their battle systems are. They remove all the extraneous crap because it's about player experience, and the player experience in being forced to tap the screen 20 times every few seconds is far from good, unfortunately. It really, really doesn't feel like this system has been designed with the player in mind.

It's a shame, because the game around it looks like it could be really good.

If you feel like you really must, must keep the stupid tapping, then it would be better if the combo didn't reset every single turn and you got more and more overpowered each turn. You'd have to balance the enemy HP a bit to compensate, but it would make the player feel like they were achieving something with all the tapping instead of just feeling like I'VE ALREADY DONE THIS FIVE TIMES STOP MAKING ME DO IT.

16. Robotwars

Robotwars Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Pretty sure I got this game pregnant.

17. ironsam80

ironsam80 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    WoW... the game is just awesome!!!! The 80's references rocks, the story rocks, the whole art direction rocks!!! I haven't time to play it when i download it, but i find myself to get stuck until finish the first episode and buying the 2nd... Great work guys, wish you good sales!!!!

18. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    This battle system reminds me a lot of paper mario

19. toythatkills

toythatkills Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Thames Ditton, UK
    The mini-game aspect is like Paper Mario, yeah, but that's where the similarity ends. The Paper Mario battle system is as streamlined as Final Fantasy VI's is.

SMRPG is so far from it.

20. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    To me the powering up in battles is a nod to "dragon ball" cartoons and just another reason to love this game.
    Personally I have nothing against the battle system but I could see how people might not like all the tapping.