Universal Saturday Morning RPG - (by Joystick Labs, LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Apr 4, 2012.

1. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    In Super Mario RPG there are no sliders. You press the button a bit before hitting the enemy, or pressing the button several times, like the Mario's fireball attack, or one of the Geno's attack.

2. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I will buy episode 2 as soon as this update hits! Thanks for making this change. I'll be taking option 3. LOL.

3. CodyDeluxe

CodyDeluxe Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    Wow! Lol this is great!

4. TimEggers

TimEggers Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Shipping
    Tiskilwa, IL
    You're right. I was trying to say that I liked it's "hit it first or you're out of luck" setup on the single butting attacks especially.

5. TimEggers

Nov 11, 2011
    Shipping
    Tiskilwa, IL
    After further thought...

Why not completely remove the Attack Slider and make the attack mechanic more like the defense mechanic where you simply defend just before impact then get a message (Good Defense of Righteous Defense ETC)?

When attacking the player simply hits just at impact to maximize damage. I'm thinking you could use a lot of the same code just remove the visual slider (I've found it distracting anyways).

The battles would still be very interactive and we could watch the fight instead of a scrolling cursor. I'm actually really digging the Floppy Disk for this very reason.

6. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    For punching I didn't find watching the slider helpful as it moves too fast. Only way I could do it was to watch the timing of the punch animation and when it hits. Still, I think the slider is useful to verify how close you were to success after the fact. So I wouldn't want to see that go away.

7. MightyRabbitJosh

MightyRabbitJosh Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Programmer and Designer at Mighty Rabbit Studios
    Holly Springs, NC
    #267 MightyRabbitJosh, Apr 12, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
    We actually tried a similar mechanic to defense for attacking in an earlier build of the game (circa October 2011, I think). It just didn't work well and threw off balance too much.

I think the new adjustments to the slider will make it much more appealing to players. The slider is now larger, it bounces back before ending, and it also gives you a rating in the same way defense does. The slider has been made easier for punching with the target area now in the middle of a big safety area. We've also adjusted the difficulty for the slider on the scissors, baseball card, and laserdisc. They all feel pretty satisfying now - even rhythmically challenged people shouldn't have too much trouble with them.

There's also a few new achievements being added for the update:

Punch-Out - Defeat an enemy with a critical punch. 5 points
    Tyson - Defeat 10 enemies with a punch. 5 points
    Electric Slide - Get a righteous rating on a weapon slider 10 times. 10 points
    Charged with Battery - Try all three charging methods. 5 points
    BADGES!? - Win a fight without scratching any stickers. 5 points

8. TimEggers

Nov 11, 2011
    Shipping
    Tiskilwa, IL
    Nice! I'm very much looking forward to the updates, thank you!

9. MightyRabbitJosh

Nov 16, 2011
    Holly Springs, NC
    Figured it would be neat to post statistics from the game's first week on the market for those interested.

Total Unique Players: 55,795 (49,584 downloads from iTunes, 6,211 from other sites)
    Total Episode 2 Purchases: 707 :(

Stickers Scratched: 429,888
    Battles Won: 114,466
    Righteous Defenses: 105,980
    Achievements Unlocked: 23,738
    Hood Soldiers Defeated: 79,382
    Lizard Men Defeated: 78,488

Players knocked out by The Wizard during tutorial: 1,579

Total battles lost: 12,798
    Players defeated by Skeleboar: 1,594

Nearly five times as many players chose to side with May over Stanley during the "Grueling" side quest of Episode 2 (234:51).

10. TimEggers

Nov 11, 2011
    Shipping
    Tiskilwa, IL
    Cool seeing the stats... I can't even imagine how many I have. I've wondered how many times I've played Ep 1. ;)

Seriously awesome game. You guys rock. Best of luck on sales!

11. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    I would love some stats in game so I could keep track of how many hours playtime and how many times you finished each episode etc.

About the side quest I took the side quest for the Stanley and didn't even see may until It was to late on my first time through :)

12. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Total Episode 2 purchases will go up by one once the update hits. Maybe others who try it will be more compelled to buy once options other than voluminous rapid tapping is there.

13. TimEggers

Nov 11, 2011
    Shipping
    Tiskilwa, IL
    Agreed!

I'm glad that you guys can still work on the game and making it better, its a slow start but it'll keep growing.

SMRPG is just my idea of an awesome game. Love it.

Sadly it sounds like you guys have to delay the update just a bit (heard via twitter)? That's too bad, hope you're up and going soon!

14. TimEggers

Nov 11, 2011
    Shipping
    Tiskilwa, IL
    #274 TimEggers, Apr 13, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
    I'd love to see the "Achievement Unlocked" box persist until I tap it, too many times I unlock something and never get a chance to see what it is. :(

Oops, I seemed to have sold my Stripe Gum, how can I get it back? Is it in a machine someplace?

15. MightyRabbitJosh

Nov 16, 2011
    Holly Springs, NC
    We just added a vending machine to Episode 1 that rectifies this - neither the LaserDisc or Gum were available to re-buy. That's fixed now. You're really doing good work for us by finding all this stuff, Tim.

16. TimEggers

Nov 11, 2011
    Shipping
    Tiskilwa, IL
    Happy to help. Really, I just love your game. I'm glad I can support your project (of which you guys have obviously poured your heart and souls into) really I have the good end of the stick, I just get to play and have fun. ;)

On the up side the battle issue we've discussed has seemed to gone away (I've replayed Ep 1 several times successfully). Occasionally I will see a slight delay in the loading of the battle animation but it still loads. Seems incredibly random.

17. MightyRabbitJosh

Nov 16, 2011
    Holly Springs, NC
    With the new update we're also going to change the icon. We think the current icon probably hasn't helped sales much as it doesn't pop. Not to mention we didn't realize we could disable that stupid glossy layer that Apple used to require (the only games that seem to have that now are usually pretty low quality).

In any case, here is the new icon!

[​IMG]

18. TimEggers

Nov 11, 2011
    Shipping
    Tiskilwa, IL
    Oh yeah, I like the new icon MUCH more. Captures Marty much better. Very much looking forward to the update.

19. MisterEd

MisterEd Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The new icon is good, yet I like the Jon Arbuckle quality of current icon.

20. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Yeah the new icon looks pretty sweet. Here's hoping sales pick up :)