iPad Sat. Convo: hyping up your game!!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by RedStaR, Feb 28, 2009.

1. RedStaR

RedStaR Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    #1 RedStaR, Feb 28, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
    I've seen some Hype man!!!!!!

Most of the time, it's way overdone, and rarely is it deserving. But when it is Deserving it can be a wonderful marriage of development/consumer relationship. However, as stated before most of these tales end in an embarrassing divorce by way of lame and shame.

As we are human of course it's easy to be subjective, But something tells me that there is a general consensus here in the forums regarding what is considered over-hype, under-hype, and "ooh this porridge is just right".

Now majority would rule that its the public themselves that create the hype but somehow I feel we aren't completely responsible. How ever we can't really blame are "in-game news" references either. So on the topic of good conversation what games do you think deserved the pre-hype that they got or didn't get.

Some suggestive Examples:

Rolando: Over-hyped????- to me yes.....but to most would tell you that it was up there, and after it's release you didn't hear much about it.

Payback: Over-hyped- This little doozie struck hype gold when it made a very brief appearance and then was pulled just hours after release due to technical issues, leaving over half of the waiting iGaming community salivating. I also remember contributing to a very long thread expressing my lust for the game. but like so many after it's release there wasn't much to really talk about. it was what it was and is what it is.

Need for Speed: Over-hyped????? LOL..... Ok yes games that aren't out yet are included, but if we're continuing with this whole little 3 Bears thing, then Need for Speed is neither too hot nor too cold....it's down right under cooked, but I really hope their making something special. however at this point of over-hypeness it's to late to turn back from dissapointment upon release.

Aqua Moto Racer: Under-hyped: yes there was a few pieces done on this very-well rounded console quality game, but not enough to compliment it's absolute completeness. This game has a large, and progressive career mode. Not to mention online time trial leader board, multiple tracks in three different landscapes that are extremely beautiful. The frames aren't the fastest but the are smooth and with out hiccups, not to mention there are jumps and tricks. I couldn't believe that the one thing people whined about was that there where no waves. even though the water reflection is psp quality. come on people, no waves???? theres way too much worse to be complaining about.

Zen Bound: MMMMMMM:) Now this Porridge is just right!!!
    The hype around Zen Bound never exceeded that of what it is worth.
    Pre-release and after it proves to be a complete game never boasting more than it offers. No app has been as successful while actually advertising that their app isn't for people looking for high octane. Instead the focal point was it's sheer calmness that of which did not take away for making a very pleasurable gaming experience.

So there is some examples, please weigh in with your thoughts and opinions.

The above opinions and suggestions don't reflect on the actual development, but such characteristics have an effect on the games and there received reaction and acceptance and or rejection based on general consensus before and after their releases.

Forum Search before posting:
    Most hyped game
    Most overhyped game
    Overhyped games

As a side note:
    I would like the search to be not so specific....
    you have to type word for word (and case sensitive at that) to find a thread.

2. Forerunnerz

Forerunnerz Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Nice thread. Skimmed through it but I don't think that Zen Bound had a perfect amount of hype. FFS it had over 1200 replies before the game even hit the AppStore. Overhyped.

3. glowAndy

glowAndy Well-Known Member

payback is awesome! I just drained my battery completely while playing it last night.

I think the two best battery drainers are payback and warfare incorporated

Payback has unbelievable graphics and really in depth gameplay

4. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    Games having a tendency to get over-hyped based on a few things:

1) devs coming onto TA to promote/code giveaways - (I've seen game buying frenzies evolved from within threads....nothing wrong w/ devs promoting his/her game by the way).

2) anticipation of game release - (if I'm waiting THIS long I know its going to be good mindset)

3) reviewers first based impressions within minutes of playing- (like Christmas morning when even the cheap toys look epic).

........so I've now taken a backseat approach to game buying. I will still listen to all reviews, video, etc. But am more aware of the possibility that hyped up games may not be all that they are and have a more 'seasoned' mind frame in my future game purchases.
    As for under hyped games such as Aqua Moto Racer, there are people that will find a tiny imperfection on viewing a brand new car. Some do input helpful info to try to make it a better game but this game was definitely under hyped because of some review complaints of no waves and if this was never brought up I think a lot more people would have purchased an enjoyed the game..........(hey kid....don't get that nice big/inexpensive ice cream cone because, you know.......it would be A LOT better with sprinkles on it........)
    Anyway....thats my opinion as asked.

5. Fome

Fome Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2009
    Well, it's not like the developers of Zen Bound could have helped it from being so hyped. Practically the last 10 or so pages of the thread were just people asking "IS IT OUT YET OMG?!?" There is nothing to blame but the jittery impatience of the consumer.

Games don't overhype people. People overhype people.

6. CandyNJ66

CandyNJ66 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Writer
    I had Rolando lite, started to play it for awhile and then wondered why this game was hyped as the second coming. I quickly grew bored of it and deleted it. It's a cute game but not one of the best games for the ipod touch/iphone IMHO.

7. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    I like this kind of discussion since I work in marketing. But in general, hype is a state of mind that varies from person to person. What you see as hype may not be hype at all to others, and strategic marketing has a lot to do with this. As mentioned, word of mouth, initial reviews, pre-released information all have something to do with creating a perception. That's why you see a combination of those methods above used because for some, getting a referral from a third-party source has more impact than say seeing an early screenshot. It's just an example, and what resonates varies.

In addition, many companies (not restricted to those who develop iTune apps) focus on the strengths of their product/service when doing this type of perception building. They're obviously not going to focus on their weaknesses and so if it's done properly, this new upcoming product/app sounds like the greatest thing since sliced bread. While I agree with the first post that Aqua Moto has been completely underhyped, others may disagree. Like I said, it goes back to state of mind and how focused those messages are. This also explains why so many products/apps don't actually live up to their perceived value.

On that note, companies with larger advertising dollars can plaster themselves all over the place if they wanted to touting how great their product is. But, if the product isn't really that great, consumers are what I think the great equalizer in bringing that hype back down to reality. This forum is an example of that, and you see it everytime a new release comes out through the forumn comments and the user feedback.

8. supg328911

supg328911 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    pro ping pong player!!!!
    USA BABY
    i agree with you on that one, i bought it when the price dropped and played it for about a day and havent picked it up again...

9. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    I've never seen a single game that lived up to its hype and by that I don't mean just iPhone games, I mean all games.

10. anduril_ukr

anduril_ukr Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Student
    New Jersey
    underhyped: ancient frog

i really love this game: it has amazing graphics, an incredibly natural feel, very realistic, and a joy to play. it really deserves a lot more mention.

overhyped: all the tds (sorry to group them together, geodefence does seem good, but im talking creeps, fieldrunners, 7 cities etc.)

sure, they're fun. but really, they are the kind of stuff you see on internet flash game sites. they are nothing groundbreaking or creative, and not something really really special (a lot of people will disagree with this point)

overhyped: rolando

short, easy, dull

underhyped: bobby carrot forever

simply the best game for the iphone/ipod touch. fun, challenging without being frustrating, and something that really sticks with you. it is long, has great music, and is just a joy to play.

just right: zen bound, papijump (+), snail mail

they all are good games that are quite popular among iphone/ipod touch users and quite hyped. zen bound is very good, and is very hyped. papijump is very addicting, and that aspect is hyped. snail mail is very FUN, and that aspect got very hyped. all of these games deserve their popularity.

thats my take on some overhyped, underhyped, and just right games. there were a few repeats from the original post that i used again to show how much i agree that they are underhyped/overhyped/just right.

11. Spartan12103

Spartan12103 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    USA
    I did the same thing; I'm glad I never bought it. I think the reason it was so "hyped" was because it was the first announced game to actually use all of the touch and accelerometer features.

12. mek

mek Well-Known Member

not a fan of hype

13. RedStaR

RedStaR Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    I don't mind hype so much, just wish it was issued with a little more caution

14. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    You'll notice that often the most hyped games occur during droughts on this or any platform for games. This is most likely due to consumers who use the platform not having their needs satisfied with what is readily available, and so they latch on to something that is announced and looks interesting moreso than they would if their needs were met or exceeded with readily available goods.

Payback was not only announced, but released, during such a drought. So was Rolando. So was Hero of Sparta in many respects. Notice something? These games not only were announced and released during "drought" periods, no matter how fleeting those periods were, but also filled a niche which very few to no games filled at the time of release. Kroll was the only game that filled the niche Hero of Sparta did (for beat 'em ups with high quality graphics), and even Kroll itself was hyped quite a bit looking back. Same deal with Payback. There was no "GTA-esque" game for this platform. Rolando was the first "big" puzzle platformer released.

Then you look on the flip side. Although anticipated, iDracula wasn't as hyped as those examples above. Neither was Westward, Space Ninja, Shooter, etc. Why? Because these games were released during cycles where there were other anticipated games, and each of these games adds to the litany of games that meet consumer demand for certain "types" of games rather than virtually fill such demand by themselves alone as games like HoS, BiA, Payback and Rolando did (and they did it just by being announced).

15. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Like Windows, huh? ;)

16. Big Albie

Feb 12, 2009
    Wholeheartedly...Steve Jobs, please forgive us.

17. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

The days prior to release of Zen Bound were quite a torment for us as well. The amount of anticipation grew beyond what any of us could have expected, and with the longer approval period than we had accounted for, it was definitely a huge risk that everything would blow up in our face. Glad it didn't! :)

But beyond that, I have to say it's totally chaotic and unpredictable which titles the gaming public turns its flaming eye to. Some games manage to catch attention, others don't, and while there are always factors to isolate that contribute either way, it's still such a complex scenario to understand that I don't think anyone has the talent to reliably repeat success.

With Zen Bound, all we did for marketing was:
    1) Announce it with a short video clip way back (in September?)
    2) Write a description about it on our own forums and start an official thread here
    3) Enroll the game into IMGA and IGF mobile. This was good, since both competitions required additional marketing material that we were able to post online.
    4) So we posted screenshots and a gameplay video around January
    5) Participated frequently in our game thread on TA
    6) Kept our media contacts in the loop during development
    7) And just shortly before release, set up zenbound.com and provided adhoc builds to our media contacts

Now, after launch, a lot of our time has gone into support issues (mostly about soundtrack email missing, usually found in the spam folder of the customer's email client), reading reviews, updating zenbound.com and setting up a presence on Twitter and Facebook.

Any publicity beyond the means mentioned above have been totally out of our control, and simply the Internet working in its mysterious ways.

Perhaps the scariest thought here is that we repeated the exact same steps (well, nearly) with SPiN, and that title was almost completely buried despite being featured by Apple.

In summary, you can only do your best, but everything still depends on a complex arrangement of factors that can only be summed up as 'luck'.

18. Big Albie

Feb 12, 2009
    First off, congrats on the success so far with Zen Bound. People seem to really love it.

Secondly, marketing, hype whatever you want to call does not alone create demand. There are so many intangibles and variables out there that you simply cannot account for. You can pay for all the advertising and market research and have the most solid product (such as SPiN which I play with all the time), and you can still have mediocre sales.

19. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

That's exactly my point. And the fact that demand on the iPhone is really random (as noted in the other posts mentioning interest ranging from Payback to Zen Bound) makes it a tough market to hit.

Many developers seem to have chosen TD since it's the only game genre that has so far proven to have some level of consistency in audience approval and interest.

20. ianlow32

ianlow32 Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2008
    I certainly think Payback was way overdone in terms of anticipation ... now that i have played down to chapter 5, i am soooo disappointed. its not bad, just no way near the GTA experience I was hoping for.

I agree ancient frog is way under hyped, and should have a 2nd look. but then, now it is being mentioned by most major iphone gaming sites, so i feel that one just finally got its chance to be in the spotlight ... and getting the positive raves now.

but there are far too many under-mentioned games, westward, geodefense, snake xt (which is free!), samurai puzzle battle and more ....