Universal San Juan by Ravensburger [Universal]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Mythbuster, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    Thanks a lot! :)

2. justln

justln Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2011
    Singapore
  3. Mythbuster

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    So the answer is simple: Let it be, do not buy it! :rolleyes:

I want to be sure that Ravensburger will make more great iOS Versions of Boardgames ... and they will do this only if they can pay the people who are working on this ...

I think most of the people who want to get a game for a Buck don't work at all ... otherwise they would know what it mean if you have to life from your work ... :cool:

4. Tyska

Tyska Active Member

Aug 1, 2012
    I can't understand this discussion! 8$ for a good app - that's the price I pay for 2 beers in Germany. Even though I drink quite slowly, I should have more good time enjoying the game, than drinking my beers.

5. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    The problem here isn't the price at all for me, just the lack of async, and it seems like it will be addressed at some point. When it's async I'm sold.

6. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    To be fair, "I can't personally justify paying $8 for this game," is perfectly acceptable, whereas, "The game is overpriced, end of story; it should be $1," is not.

7. Mythbuster

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere

OK, there I would agree! :)

8. odi0n

odi0n Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2011
    Gameplay Video please

9. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA

10. odi0n

odi0n Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2011
    #30 odi0n, Aug 3, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
    This game is a *Master piece* !!!!

Never played the board game. Willing to try it now.
    I am like a crack head in a room full of crack valves with this game - smiling from ear to ear.

The AI is beast. Medium is a challenge, but play it on the hardest level to really get your face mopped.

Where are the online players?

Regarding asynchronous play. Man... Goodluck. Coming back a day or two later, heck even a hour later you will forget what is going on way to many strategic pieces and the game is fast!

I agree though, the feature to async should be here for you asyncers.

Ps. This game is well worth the $8 (honestly, I feel more) I spend more than that on house toiletries. You guys really complaining over such a minuscule sum? Smh.

11. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Really? I'm playing while watching Netflix, not paying attention at all to the AI and I'm still able to follow everything that has been going on.

I think the turns move a little quickly for asynchronous play (like Ticket to Ride) but just having it there would mean more people get online to play.

It's an exceptionally designed game. I just wish I could figure out how to make my player have a picture in local games, it annoys me that I'm an anonymous shadow. :(

12. odi0n

odi0n Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2011
    #32 odi0n, Aug 3, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
    @ VeganTnT,

Yea we need a player avatar or something. It is slightly annoying.

You are right. When it is your turn the game pauses.
    Well I did vouch for async play. There should be modes to accommodate every spectrum of player.

Anybody know if there is an official forum for this game?
    I've searched google but can't seem to find it.

13. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    Ok, I think that I'm going to commit sacrilege here...I prefer this to Puerto Rico. You get the feel and atmosphere of Puerto Rico, with some of the same mechanics without having to invest quite as much time or keeping track of quite as many things at one time. Now I know that some people really like that hardcore strategy element, and I get that, but for iPad play, this is truly awesome. I'm not going to get into the asynchronous argument, because I've said before that I don't really play these games for multiplayer. To me good AI is much more important, and I have no complaints about that here. I'm also not going to get into the price arguments because they're stupid and pointless.

14. cameron331

cameron331 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2010
    I love German style board games, so I hate to admit this, but I've never played this or Puerto Rico. I almost downloaded Puerto Rico before seeing this, but now I can't decide. Is it worth getting both? Which one should I start with? I don't care about asynch; I won't decide based on that.

15. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Puerto Rico is a heavy game. More like Caylus, Le Havre, and Hacienda where there are many rules and strategies to winning.

San Juan is a much more casual experience. It's simple to teach, easy to play, and good for quick games.

16. Mythbuster

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    I agree! Most of the time I play with AI Players ... so for me a good AI is very important ... and they made a good job.

Well ... yes!

They are similar but absolute not the same. A game of SJ takes 20 to 30 Minutes, Puerto Rico takes much more time ... the rules in SJ are simpler, so you can faster into it ... but even with the simpler rules it has nevertheless deep strategies ...

I even play more SJ than PR ... because you can 'just' play it while watching TV or something like that ... I hope you know what I want to say ...

So, in my opinion, it is a no brainer ... if you just a little fan of good board games: Just take it you will not regret it ...

17. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Does it track any stats?

18. Tyska

Tyska Active Member

Aug 1, 2012
    Played it yesterday on the train! Very polished translation of the original game!

Async multplayer would be fine for a future update, because mobile internet on German ICEs is rather sluggy, at least for me ;) I kind of lose connection from time to time.

19. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Hey I've never played this, but I love Puerto Rico. Is there any chance I won't like this or should I just buy it?

20. WakeOfPoseidon

WakeOfPoseidon Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2011
    Engineer
    It breaks down you and your competitors points at the end of each match. It also tallies your all of your game's cumulative score in the GC leader boards (similar to the way Neuroshima Hex does it). It also breaks down your number of victories (vs 2,3, and 4 players) in the GC leader boards. It doesn't seem to differentiate between online and local/AI in the victories breakdown though.

Overall, I love the game. It gives me that Puerto Rico flavor in a light, quick o play card game. Other than a few really minor UI quirks (such as your hand is by default face down at all times, so you constantly have to click on your hand to view your cards), it is really well done.