Universal SAMURAI SHODOWN II - (by SNK PLAYMORE)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Thanks for the useful info. While we're making relevant posts, I'd like to inform everyone that I had a steak for dinner last night, and it was slightly overcooked for my taste.

2. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I guess you could say that I'm looking at the game from a different perspective. It is nigh impossible to pull off any specials without using the SP button because yes, the joystick is flawed...but I'm realistically not looking at the game and thinking "this will consume me as it once did" because this certainly isn't the way to get the "true" Samurai Shodown experience. If you want to play the game the way it should be played, you need physical controls. I've just got my rose-tinted retro glasses on.

3. Quazonk

Mar 30, 2011
    I can relate. I'm trying my damndest to see Contra Evolution (mentioned in my last post) through the same rose-tinted glasses, but my god are they foggy. Here's to hoping both games get an update to tighten them up so I can spend more time in Nostalgia Land and less time gritting my teeth ;P

4. Bloko

Bloko Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Well, I'm honestly surprised to see complaints about the joystick itself. For me the attack buttons are the bad apples (although I've seen worse), but I think the joystick is actually pretty good. Btw, I'm playing with buttons sized about 30%~40% on the size bar, as I prefer the controls to be small.

Maybe it's bad on the iPad? I've been playing it on an iPhone 5 and an iPod 4th.

5. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Curious...did you try Contra pre-update? :p *pukes*

6. _Max_

_Max_ Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2012
    Spent my last 9$ in this week on this :)

7. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    #47 syntheticvoid, Jun 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
    Damn... and I thought I sucked at this game 20 years ago...

Nope, now - I am the epitome of suckage. How is it that I can't even beat the third character with the difficulty set to 1? =oP

lol... Looks like I'm going to have to have a serious sit down with this game and re-learn everything.

**edit**

are perrys active in this port?? I vaguely remember using them... but I haven't been able to nail one yet. Maybe I just really... REALLY suck.

8. Sildani

Sildani Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2013
    High school social studies teacher
    NOVA
    Damn, I hate that. I cleaned my bathroom.

In all sincerity, if you want to do well at this game, I have one suggestion: avoid the special attacks. For the most part, they're gimmicky, slow, and honestly don't do too much damage. Stick to basic slashes and kicks, defend, and when the AI screws up, punish it severely. As fun as the special moves are, and nice as they look, only a couple are actually useful, in my experience. Roll forward, dash, slash or kick, dash back, defend. Repeat until victorious. Oh, and jumping is not advisable either, the AI WILL hurt you.

Hope that helped.

9. madman73

madman73 Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2010
    advertising creative director
    Manila, Philippines
    No, I think the AI is set way too hard. Plus there must be some timing thing I myself have lost- I jump at an enemy to do a slash, and I always end up swinging my weapon too late or too early- the touchscreen isn't as responsive as you'd want it, and so playing footsie with the CPU is a losing proposition.They can jab and poke you to death, while you are delayed and slow as heck.

But I'll keep playing- If by some miracle I beat this, I might become an awesome SS2 player.

10. madman73

madman73 Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2010
    advertising creative director
    Manila, Philippines
    #50 madman73, Jun 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
    Also, yeah- the CPU seems to have some evade move which makes your moves slide past them- HOW do you do this? It doesn't seem to be the same as the 'lay down' move (which seems useless). It's infuriating to get the CPU down to a sliver of health and then have them suddenly block or evade everything you throw at them and then kill you with throws.

Indeed, special moves are a liability and they seem to take forever to fire off.

The joystick is bad in the sense that jumping forward is often hit-or-miss, you often find yourself jumping in place.

Also, GODDAMIT I wish we could TOGGLE that damn 'Getting Mad' animation for your character as it just throws off your timing- you want to attack but NO you're 'getting mad', and more often than not it leaves you open to an enemy attack.

AAARGH back to playing. If any of the devs are here- I want to punch you in the face.

11. Sildani

Feb 2, 2013
    NOVA
    Anybody tried this with the icade 8-Bitty yet? And is the 8-Bitty worth getting at all?

12. Quazonk

Mar 30, 2011
    I did, I bought it in the few-hours-long window when it was released accidentally...Let's just say the fact that my phone screen is still intact is a testament the durability of an Otter Box ;P

13. DoctaMario

DoctaMario Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    I think it's really awesome that companies are releasing some of the old school fighting games on iOS these days.

But I have to say, without adding online multiplayer, I see little reason to get this rather than just emulate it with Ifba or that mame emu that was in the app store accidentally if you managed to get it. Just me, but I'm still glad they're putting these out.

14. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    Because that's piracy.

15. DoctaMario

DoctaMario Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Not if you own the arcade board. ;)

16. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    OH MY GOD I'M GONNA THROW MY FRICK'N PHONE ACROSS THE FRICK'N ROOM!! I'M SO FRICK'N SICK OF THIS INSANE DIFFICULTY AND SPENDING 30 MINUTES ON CONTINUES TRYING TO BEAT THE SECOND FRICK'N CHARACTER AND GETTING MY BUTT HANDED TO ME ON THE LOWEST DAMN DIFFICULTY!!!!!

Grrrr...

Anyone else having any luck progressing through the game?

17. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Just face the fact you need practice :p sorry had to say that. But seriously is it really that difficult? Maybe SNK will tweak the difficulty in the next update.

18. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I dunno - I'm #32 out of 800+ on the GC Easy Difficulty board... and I've put 5 hours into the game so far and beat the second character a total of... 2 times. Died on the 3rd (if that wasn't clear by reading my previous posts... =oP ) - and my high score was a time when I died on the 2nd character... I got a near perfect on the first guy...

grr...

Setting the difficulty to 1 (out of 8) and having this much trouble with a game that I use to KILL back when I was 11... it's kind of... erm... frustrating... to say the least.

19. Sildani

Feb 2, 2013
    NOVA
    Don't be too hard on yourself. Remember, at 11, you had a real joystick and nice responsive buttons too.

So. No one's used an 8-bitty on this?

20. SuperWeird

SuperWeird Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2010
    I've used the 8-Bitty for this game. But the button placement is too whacked to make it worthwhile. You have to use the select and start buttons plus some of the top buttons to fight with; I don't think any of the main d-pad buttons are active for this game.

The 8-bitty is fantastic for emulated ROMs, because you can program the button placement. It's amazing for oldschool NES games especially. But for App Store games the button placement is usually too odd to be useful, as is the case with Samurai Showdown II.

The iCade Mobile works better with SS than the 8-Bitty. You still have to use 1 top button for attacks, but the other moves are performed with the main d-pad. The iCade Mobile is my favorite iCade.

I also tried SS on the iCade Jr. It works good here, but one attack button is on the back, which is a little awkward. The full size iCade arcade cabinet works the best, but it only plays in landscape mode.