Universal SAMURAI SHODOWN II - (by SNK PLAYMORE)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Bloko

Bloko Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2012
    #21 Bloko, Jun 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
    This one lets you do this. They are movable and resizable. I only wish the opacity was customizable too (currently it automatically fades away when in battle).

Personally I liked the controls here, despite a few negative impressions from other people (I had to customize them, though). There's even buttons for "a+b" and "c+d" to ease the combos.

2. jeStR65

jeStR65 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Was gonna grab this cause samurai showdown was the game before middle school every morning with my lunch money lol...but damn wasn't quite expecting it to cost this much just for a throwback that if prolly play a couple times and show off just to say I got it lol :/ dang xcom was an exception but this seems too much for a little nostalgia to me

3. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    iCade support? Blood on/off toggle?

4. SuperWeird

SuperWeird Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Yes it's iCade compatible. I'm playing it on my iCade Mobile right now. The onscreen virtual controls totally disappear when in iCade mode. However, the SP button and 6 button options are not available when playing this way; it only plays in the original 4 button mode with the iCade.

Blood seems to be always set to on.

5. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Oh my god, $9. I've bought it because I like it when I'm young. :D

6. iHatePlayToWin

iHatePlayToWin New Member

Jun 21, 2012
    Not good. The joystick is terrible..

7. lena

lena Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2011
    :eek:
    I had not expected that. That's really great news.
    As it should. (I think)
    :mad:
    Could you (or someone) please have a look and see if there maybe is a possibility to turn it off somewhere?

And I hate to be that person again, but the description doesn't mention anything about compatibility with older devices, so, anyone tried this on an iPad 1? Emulated games are really hit and miss there.

8. madman73

madman73 Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2010
    advertising creative director
    Manila, Philippines
    Have to say indeed, the graphics and sound, detail and gameplay is intact and I think it's excellent in this regard.

The controls though share yet again the inherent weakness of touchscreen fighters- the lack of tactile buttons can be frustrating, and the fact that the buttons disappear when the fighting starts can be really annoying as your character stands doing nothing as they get their heads shaved off since you're jamming away on the wrong button.

Also, the damn CPU AI is VICIOUS. At Level 4 (default) even the second opponent is darn hard. I can't imagine how it will be to fight Mizuki- then again I never really beat this game in the arcade.

9. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    Amazing game. Another winner from DotEmu!

10. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I had no idea that this was THIS game...

Every weekend when I was younger, I use to ask my dad for $5 for nachos at the bowling ally and instead go and blow all of it on this game. I sucked, but it was a blast! WOOOO!!

So many memories...

11. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Icade support equals a purchase :)

12. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    How can I play the special skill of Haohmaru in iOS? Have you ever play it?

13. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Yes, it's my greatest game in the past, but I don't know that all of skills are port to iOS? And how can we use them, because we only use them with complex combinations of keys.

14. madman73

madman73 Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2010
    advertising creative director
    Manila, Philippines
    #35 madman73, Jun 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
    Okay I am ready to smash my iPad into pieces at how hard this game is. Not sure why but the CPU is killing me effortlessly at Level 2 difficulty. The touchscreen controls don't help.

I'm talking lightning fast footsies, seeming autoblocking and auto-throwing, and if you miss a move punishers that take off half your life- AT LEVEL 2 difficulty.

The controls really hurt, you will need to remember them cause they freakin' VANISH from sight when the game starts and you're jamming on a button that you're hoping is there but your character does nothing and then you're dead.

Yeah, I'm having fun but this is a bit much. Sieger and Cham-Cham... GODDAMN I hate 'em...

15. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Pass on this one.

16. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Thanks for letting us know.

17. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    My thoughts exactly.

Whether or not it has anything to do with the price-tag, if anyone passes on this because it's $9, take a step back and remember how many quarters you used to pump into these games at the arcades back in the day. $9 is dirt-cheap.

I'll never forget the day my old man came home from an overseas trip and put a brand-spanking new copy of the original Samurai Shodown in my lap. My SNES was American, the copy was European and this was the only game that wouldn't work with that plug-in convertor thing. I believe the cartridge is still around somewhere, and I, to this day, have never gotten it to work. I can't even count the time I spent at the arcades playing Samurai Shodown and Samurai Shodown II to make up for that...

...so SNK & DotEmu...thank you for this. That is all. I couldn't care less about some control issues. That's expected of an old-school fighter on a touchscreen. All that matters is that this is filled to the brim with that signature DotEmu love and screw it...I have Samurai Shodown II with me all the time, baby!

18. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    I just walked my dogs. :p;)

DBC

19. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Oh man MC, are you being serious right now? These controls do not have "issues", they are absolutely, positively game-ruining. Its not something you can adjust to or get used to over time...they are simply horrible controls. The virtual stick is the worst in my multi-thousand game iOS library. Contra Evolutions controls are light years better than this, and they're horrid. Shame to blow 9 bucks on this, but I couldn't get it off my device quick enough, even with the tiny file size. Diff'rent strokes I guess, just couldnt believe you didn't find the controls to be an issue.

If my advice is worth anything to anyone on the fence about spending 9 bucks on this, I would certainly advise you to avoid until an update fixes the controls, and eases up the difficulty. iCade owners, YMMV.