iPad Samurai Puzzle Battle

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ITrocks, Dec 2, 2008.

1. ITrocks

ITrocks Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2008
  2. AchillesReborn

AchillesReborn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    #2 AchillesReborn, Dec 2, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
    just downloaded it. Let you know in a bit.

Quest mode is looking interesting.

Graphics are pretty standard.

3. parranoya

parranoya Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2008
    The thing I get paid for
    CANADIA
    Gotta know ---is it worth downloading or do I wait for Puzzle Quest..... I am a huge PQ fan ---cant wait ----is this good enough to tide me over until it gets released?

4. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    Holy crap! Steampunk!

Here is the appstore description:
    First of all I have to say that the graphics (compared to Aurora Feint and Puzzle Quest) just look ugly.
    But I'm a sucker for steampunk so I think I'll have to buy this.
    Any opinions yet?

5. ITrocks

Oct 18, 2008
    There's 1 review on the UK store..but it's rather lame: 'Fun' 4 stars out of 5.

Also, in it's description it mentions:

'Why is this game a must have?
    -This is an enhanced version of award winning mobile game'

I think they're referring to puzzle quest. MORE ENHANCED THAN PUZZLE QUEST? AND LOADS OF STEAMPUNK CRAP AS WELL?

6. parranoya

Nov 16, 2008
    The thing I get paid for
    CANADIA
    Actually I think they are refering to an enhanced version of their mobile phone version. I saw it on youtube this morning but it looked like puzzle quest with poorer graphics and no sound!

7. QuickWit

QuickWit Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2008
    Video Writer, Director, Producer
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Game actually has pretty decent graphics and... Sound. I like the music choice and the rest of the sound goes along with the "Puzzle Quest" type of thing.

Only got to play a few minutes so far but I'm really liking it. Should be just the thing to hold me until the real PQ comes along.

Who knows, this might be better... I like the way the quest mode is set up and how you can bring in other troops to help your fighting. I'll try to let you know more once I've played it some more...

8. AchillesReborn

AchillesReborn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Having played it some more....I`m addicted. I`ve never played puzzle quest, but it beats the hell out of the original Aurora feint. The puzzle battles are far more tacticle than that game. Graphics are good enough, they certainly aren`t dazzling, but they are better than a lot of puzzle games. The actual battle system is great in my opinion, a lot more tactical than i expected (i thought it`d just be a `bejewelled style` match-up as fast as you can, but its not at all). The campaign mode is great. What more can I say? I`m hooked, I`ve been playing it a lot, and I`m not really into matching puzzle games (aurora feint/bejewelled etc. do nothing for me). I like the fact that the battles are more to do with tactical thinking than speed.

9. Chiller ONE

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    They released a lite version.
    I'm going to test the game first, then we'll see. Looks promising though.

10. QuickWit

Oct 28, 2008
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    After some more time I'm enjoying this game more and more. I was/am a huge fan of Puzzle Quest but this game goes a little deeper. It has a bit of a mix between PQ and Risk. You're sending out armies to try and take over Japan.

The cool part about that is that if you lose a battle you've got more units to carry on the battle. You can keep fighting an enemy as long as you have units -- when you're out you've lost the battle. And even if you win you still lose all units you lost in that battle and you have to buy more to send into battle. In PQ if you lose the game just starts you over in that spot as if nothing bad happened.

There is still some stuff I've got to go through, but I think this game is really fun and very addicting. Get the Lite version if you want to try it on limited basis, but if you like this type of game you'll be back for the full version.

11. Tried lite version as well and it needs some serious work with the controls. Needs to more easily connect three by dragging as well as touch here then there.

12. Chiller ONE

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    What? I have been tricked! This doesn't sound like the lite version at all!:confused:

13. parranoya

Nov 16, 2008
    The thing I get paid for
    CANADIA
    I agree the controls are not as great as other puzzle quest games. It does not have a touch and slide option--- I am going to buy it as it has some interesting elements that make is quite different from puzzle quest. It will tide me over until PQ makes it out. Fun game if you are into this kind of game.

14. QuickWit

Oct 28, 2008
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Played it for a few hours today and have really enjoyed it. This is my fav game right now. Like I mentioned earlier... it's like Puzzle Quest with a full army feel. It's really fun trying to find out what attacks are the best for the various bosses.

Yes... the controls take a little getting use to because you can't just drag the item over, but once you've played it a while that doesn't make much of a difference. I've gotten over that and now don't even care about it.

I'm a huge fan of PQ and have been anxiously waiting for it to come out, but I'm thinking this game actually has a little more depth to it. I still like the story part of PQ, but this game is a lot of fun.

15. Chiller ONE

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    Please could someone describe this game a little more in-depth? The lite version sucks, it doesn't seem to do the game justice.
    I just want to know if I should buy this or wait for Puzzle Quest.

16. ITrocks

Oct 18, 2008
    #16 ITrocks, Dec 4, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
    I've bought the game, and i have to say, it impresses greatly. Basically, it's like a puzzle quest clone, except with the addition of a risk like campaign. This actually reminds me alot of Heroes: Might and Magic, with the battle system being the puzzle quest way-a match 3 game where depending on which jewels you match, an effect happens. There are 6 gems- a yin yang one which increases your KI level (when full, and activated through another match, it unleashes a powerful attack, based on your mana and strength levels), a blue, green and red one (which regenerate mana, strength and health respectively). To attack, you have a brown fist (physical attack), purple circle (magic attack). If you match 4, you get an extra turn and one of the gems blinks, if that is matched, it causes a 3 by 3 explosion. If you match 5, you get an extra turn and one of the gems turns into a red face. Match this, and all gems of that colour explodes. Now the effectiveness of your attacks depends on your troop and the enemy; each have different statistics. Depending on the hero you choose in campaign, you are allowed a selection of troops, each with it's pros and cons. For example, you have a Tengu Demon, which has a massive attack power, but only remains in your army if you keep paying it 10 gold every day (since it's cheap) Then you have a Zepellin, with a weak attack, but with a stat that reduces magical attacks (purple circle matches) by 90%. There are wayyy more troops and those are only the most basic of them. Your hero has it's own pros and cons as well. Based on your choice of hero, your campaign difficulty is set, as some heroes are weaker, and start with lesss gold.

Now, on to the risk-like part. You basically are aiming to conquer the whole of Japan. To do so, you hire troops from your Shogun, like your castle in Heros:MOM, your base, and deploy them from there. They are allowed to move 1 step every turn (from area to area) Enemies will have shoguns as well, and they will be deploying their troops as well. When your troops move into their troops' area, you initiate a battle. If won, that area is now yours. Once you reach your enemies shogun, and you beat it along with its hero, you attain that shogun, and everything that hero had (troops, gold). Now, if the map was plain and boring, then this would be no fun! There are forests, pagoda's etc. For example, landing on a forest may allow you to battle one of the creatures residing there, and beating it will increase your troops morale (not sure what morale does at the moment) or they will join your army. Also, you can enter other places where you can earn resources. Randomly, all of the players (you and the AI) will be allowed to match gems to earn resources (i.e gold to buy troops). In this mode, you have various time intervals to move gems into positions. I.e you are allowed to move a gem to a place, but even if it doesn't make a match, it doesn't go back to it's original position. In this way, you're allowed to build massive chains. But be warned, the time intervals are short. There are also other game modes, like Seige: where these bars (purple, white, yellow, blue, green, red) keep falling. Your job is to keep them from depleting, and in order to do so you need to make matches of the colours; make a match of 3 purple circles to fill up the purple bar etc. There are also random events that happen, reminds me alot of Heroes: MOM.

This is basically a really good game, with quite a long story line (if you choose hard at least). What it needs now is online multiplayer, but a game could take so long that it might not work. It's really up to you, as i haven't played puzzle quest yet.

Whew. Time to get a life :D

EDIT: Forgot to mention the review part haha. Graphics aren't really amazing, but they suffice, as basically the gameplay is the main thing. What i don't like is how you have to touch to move the gems. You should be able to swipe to move them instead of touching one and touching an adjacent one. Other than that, this game is really good! Soundtrack is fitting. If you can't wait for puzzle quest, definitly buy this.

17. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    It looks kind of cheesey. I'm gonna wait for Puzzle Quest.

18. Chiller ONE

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    @ ITrocks: Thx a lot for the very detailed review, it certainly made my decision easier.

After playing the lite version I thought that this sucked, there is no mention of the risk-like part in there.

I am going to pick this up, I think I will still buy Puzzle Quest but this will certainly pass the time till they bother to release PQ.

19. ITrocks

Oct 18, 2008
    No problem, Chiller1. It took me quite a while to understand the rules, and why my guys kept on losing, until i noticed that the freaking zepellins are one of the weakest troops lol. I've played it for 2 hours, and can't wait to kick those other heroes asses :D

20. Chiller ONE

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    Yeah I keep losing too, by what I mean that I'm getting my ass handed to me so hard that its not even funny anymore.
    Any suggestions or strategies?